The Assumptions we make...

Started by jimmydeanno, March 07, 2008, 02:52:33 PM

CadetProgramGuy

Let us be really objective on how CAP picks instructors for many of its classes.

CAP MEMBER:  Hey Capt. Oblivious, have you ever taught BCUT?
CAPT O: No, I just took it last month
CAP MEMBER: Oh, Its ok, do you want to try?
CAPT O: Sure When is the class?

CAP MEMBER: 20 Minutes, here is the material.

Thats how CAP makes instructors.....I've done it that way many times.....

Flying Pig

....Or you can ask them when they are going to volunteer to teach the next course.  That usually ends the conversation really quick.   Look.  Lets face it folks.  CAP is an organization where in many cases the member teaches because they have the knowledge AND the availability not necessarily talent.  And every once in a while, you get someone who has the availability, knowledge and the talent.   As a Sq. Commander and former Deputy Commander, as with many of you, often we are thrilled just to not have to do it ourselves.  Thats just how it is.  Until CAP starts cutting pay checks and establishing pensions, it will stay that way.  I know, party pooper.

Major Carrales

This is a good place to insert the reason we give special promotions to more than just pilots.

I, for example, am a trained Historian and Certified Teacher in my state.  That is a skill set I hope to use in CAP.  We have lots of people with lots of certified skills.  I don't assume that a CAP officer is a "blank slate" when they get their membership card.

We have teachers, engineers, doctors, lawyers you name it.  These are persons well trained in their "day job."  These are the ones we need to be tasking with instructorships.

Do we need to create a new system form CAP instructor certification?  Maybe, but I think we have the skill sets already in place.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eclipse

Perhaps a fully subjective, commander-approval required, "I" addition to the rating, class, whatever.

An SET ≠ an instructor necessarily.

"That Others May Zoom"

CAP_truth

CAP recently attempted to establish a CAP Instructor's Course using the material from the AF Academic Instructor Course. I was a member of the Beta test and we only completed the tech level and it was dropped. Yes CAP does need an instructor's course which was a requirement for a master rating in PD. Everyone who is involved with training other members ex(cadet programs, emergency services, professional developement,    communications,etc.) should be required to take. The course could be e-services base with tests for each module. After they would need to attend a show test class certification before they would be able to teach others.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

Walkman

Quote from: CAP_truth on March 14, 2008, 08:38:53 PM
The course could be e-services base with tests for each module. After they would need to attend a show test class certification before they would be able to teach others.

For something as interactive as teaching, I'd prefer that it not be an e-services course but something where there's some, well... interaction. Maybe something where there is an e-services component for general knowledge then a component where the student working with others.