Becoming an Incident Commander

Started by Pylon, September 20, 2005, 09:59:46 PM

Pylon

Our Group Commander has asked some of us to avidly pursue the training necessary to become Incident Commanders, since our Group has none and our qualified personnel and resources often go unused because missions are tasked out to ICs from other Groups, even for missions within our Group's territory.

I've looked at all the pre-requisites and ratings one needs to build up to becoming an IC3, and only one thing confuses me.   In order to be an IC3, one needs to be either PSC and OSC, which includes being either an Air Branch Director or a Ground Branch Director.   I have no Ground Team training, so being a GBD would not be easy nor make much sense for me, and I'm already part of the way there for Air Branch Director.  I need, however, first to become an FRO.

However, one has to satisfy one of three requirements (among others) to be eligible to become a FRO.  You have to either:  a) Be a qualified Incident Commander, b) be an experienced CAP pilot, or c) be a unit commander of a unit with flying activity.

Now, I'm not a Unit Commander (I'm a deputy), and I'm not a CAP Pilot (I'm an observer).  Therefore, am I basically barred from ever being a FRO (without a waiver from the Region Commander)?   

Simply because I don't command a unit and I'm not a pilot must mean that I'm not qualified to release a flight, even though I understand CAPR 60-series regulations, am an aircrew member, and am an experienced CAP member?  Is this a remant of the "good ol' boy flying club" mentality, allowing only pilots or their commanders to release each other for flights?

I don't get the intent of this reg.  Anybody care to chime in?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Mac

As I look at the SQTR for Air Operations Branch Director, it only says "Complete Flight Release Officer Training ". I read that to mean that you need to take the FRO on-line course and you are good to go on that requirement. Here in ND we encourage all aircrew members to take the FRO course. and I strongly recommend all senior members in my squadron who are working on any mission base staff jobs to take the course. My reasoning on this is that if all aircrew personnel take the course they will know what the FRO will be asking ad what info is needed before trying to get a flight release. I myself am not a pilot, but as commander am an FRO for my squadron.
Derk MacPherson, Lt Col, CAP
Vice Commander
Alaska Wing, PCR-AK-001

Horn229

Just need to toss in one thing here. You seem to be pretty squared away with what you need to do. Just want to make sure you know that to get PSC, if you go with AOBD, you'll also need to be a GTM 3 or UDFT. So once I decide to move on from GBD, I'll need to get Mission Scanner done. :)
NICHOLAS A. HORN, Senior Member, CAP

Pylon

Quote from: Horn229 on September 25, 2005, 04:45:24 PM
Just need to toss in one thing here. You seem to be pretty squared away with what you need to do. Just want to make sure you know that to get PSC, if you go with AOBD, you'll also need to be a GTM 3 or UDFT. So once I decide to move on from GBD, I'll need to get Mission Scanner done. :)

Yeah, I got that from the SQTR and 60-1.  I figure I'm still going to go with AOBD and just knock off my UDFT.  It seems simpler than GTM3, as far as just having to get it done, serve the two missions, and move on.  :)

I do, however, think it's a good requirement.  A PSC should have experience and knowledge of both Air and Ground Ops and allowing one to be wholly focused on just air or ground stuff means they probably should have stayed a branch director.

Pylon

Quote from: Nukem on September 21, 2005, 01:06:06 PM
As I look at the SQTR for Air Operations Branch Director, it only says "Complete Flight Release Officer Training ". I read that to mean that you need to take the FRO on-line course and you are good to go on that requirement. Here in ND we encourage all aircrew members to take the FRO course. and I strongly recommend all senior members in my squadron who are working on any mission base staff jobs to take the course. My reasoning on this is that if all aircrew personnel take the course they will know what the FRO will be asking ad what info is needed before trying to get a flight release. I myself am not a pilot, but as commander am an FRO for my squadron.

And, yes, Major - you're right.  I did go back and re-read the SQTRs and the "Complete FRO Training" does not mean you have to be a FRO (at least that's how I read it).  I've completed the online course and moved-on with that requirement.  Thanks for the clarification on that.  :)

flynd94

One problem if you aren't an FRO, you are unable to release flights on a mission.  This is an issue we have run into mulitple times.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

NDCS

I am IC 3 and  I am not a pilot.  The route I took was through the GBD also I am a mission observer. The requirement for FRO is to complete FRO training not to be a qualified FRO. I have run a ELT mission I was 200 miles from were the aircrew launch from they use their qualified FRO at their squadron. ND wing has FRO's at each Squadron. We a list of all FRO in the wing that all IC have access to. Basically you should know what a FRO does it the last check that aircrew is qualified to fly the mission. Mainly is the pilot current form 5 in the aircraft that they are going to fly, form 91, member,  medical certificate and PPL, 3 take off and landings in last 90 days, if night are night current, also are all aircrew members current members and in a proper CAP uniform. All boil down is flight legal to take off according CAPR 60-1.
Dean Reiter Col CAP
ND/CC ND001