Flight Officer rank for Flight Suit and TPU

Started by SStradley, January 26, 2008, 08:51:00 PM

SStradley

Is there Flight Officer rank available for the Flight Suit and TPU?  If not what is the suggestion for these ranks and uniforms?

Thanks,

Spelling - MIKE
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language."  R.E. Lee

afgeo4

There is not. I suggest you write FO for the rank on your flightsuit namepatch for identification.

FO insignia for the CDU (TPU) was overlooked and does not exist.
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Blue Flight Officer epaulets exist for the TPU/Corporate Service Dress shirts.  They do not exist for the Corporate Coat right now. 

The type of grade insignia worn on the CSD coat may change in the near future, anyways.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

afgeo4

Quote from: Pylon on January 27, 2008, 10:33:02 PM
Blue Flight Officer epaulets exist for the TPU/Corporate Service Dress shirts.  They do not exist for the Corporate Coat right now. 

The type of grade insignia worn on the CSD coat may change in the near future, anyways.
The corp. service dress coat doesn't take epaulets anyway... you meant metal pin-on rank, right?

Where have you seen the AF blue FO epaulets?
GEORGE LURYE

Pylon

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 28, 2008, 03:36:48 AM
The corp. service dress coat doesn't take epaulets anyway... you meant metal pin-on rank, right?

Where have you seen the AF blue FO epaulets?

AF-style Blue epaulets in the FO grades exist for the TPU shirt.  Currently, no metal pin-on FO insignia exists for the coat but the coat's setup may be changing in the near future.

Vanguard carries the AF-style blue FO epaulets.  Though they are not shown on the current site, they were listed with photos on the last version of their CAP webstore - indicating that they exist.  Call or email them if you need them.

DNall

I guess you could paint osme Lt bars if you REALLY wanted to.

Embroidered grade is avail for the blue flt suits. I believe we're still working on that auth for grn - not sure if it'd be the dark blue, ultramarine, or navy style full color on DO background, but it's somewhere in the works. Plastic encased FO insignia did used to exist & may be avail. Call Vanguard directly & make sure they understand what you're talking about.

RiverAux

I could swear I've seen flight officers with rank in flight suits. 

SarDragon

I just looked in the Bookstore/CAPMart catalogs back as far as 2000, and only saw embroidered FO rank. It's the ultramarine stuff.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SStradley

Quote from: DNall on January 29, 2008, 03:17:43 AM
I guess you could paint osme Lt bars if you REALLY wanted to.

Embroidered grade is avail for the blue flt suits. I believe we're still working on that auth for grn - not sure if it'd be the dark blue, ultramarine, or navy style full color on DO background, but it's somewhere in the works. Plastic encased FO insignia did used to exist & may be avail. Call Vanguard directly & make sure they understand what you're talking about.

I am not sure what "osme" Lt bars, however, I had considered silver paint on subdued Lt bars as an answer for the flight suite.

Should this "oversite" be noted on one of the two Uniform Committee threads, and if so which one.
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

BillB

Twice in the past month there have been the old style USAF Warrent officer metal rank (silver and blue stripes) listed on eBay. This is the same insignia that was used by CAP for the FO insignia. Since USAF dropped the WO program, chances are nobody makes it any more There is one listed now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-ARMY-AIR-FORCE-FLIGHT-OFFICER-INSIGNIA-PIN-BACK_W0QQitemZ140202301276QQihZ004QQcategoryZ4729QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD4VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m124
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pylon

Quote from: SStradley on January 29, 2008, 12:48:37 PM
Should this "oversite" be noted on one of the two Uniform Committee threads, and if so which one.

It's not exactly an oversight on the part of our uniform manual and policy, but rather just the fact that the prescribed insignia doesn't exist.   Nonetheless, I'll add it to the list of things to look into.

SStradley

Quote from: Pylon on January 29, 2008, 01:55:35 PM
Quote from: SStradley on January 29, 2008, 12:48:37 PM

It's not exactly an oversight on the part of our uniform manual and policy, but rather just the fact that the prescribed insignia doesn't exist.   Nonetheless, I'll add it to the list of things to look into.

Thank you.
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP

DNall

It doesn't exist cause it's not cost effective to make or keep in inventory. It's fully authorized. If you want a legitimate solution, get the cloth authorized. There has been in the past both metal & plastic encased FO/TFO/SFO insignia. Vanguard may still have some of that on hand if you talk them into looking for it. There aren't new batches coming out though.

afgeo4

Quote from: DNall on January 29, 2008, 04:45:31 PM
It doesn't exist cause it's not cost effective to make or keep in inventory. It's fully authorized. If you want a legitimate solution, get the cloth authorized. There has been in the past both metal & plastic encased FO/TFO/SFO insignia. Vanguard may still have some of that on hand if you talk them into looking for it. There aren't new batches coming out though.
Why don't they just change the FO insignia to match the US Army's WO and CWO insignia? It would make things oh so much easier for everyone. Vanguard would easily produce/procure the same insignia in any color on any color and the pin on rank exists for the Army anyway. Just one big change, in one shot, takes care of everyone properly.
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 30, 2008, 08:54:15 PM
Quote from: DNall on January 29, 2008, 04:45:31 PM
Why don't they just change the FO insignia to match the US Army's WO and CWO insignia? It would make things oh so much easier for everyone. Vanguard would easily produce/procure the same insignia in any color on any color and the pin on rank exists for the Army anyway. Just one big change, in one shot, takes care of everyone properly.

Do you really want an 18 yo running around with Warrant bars? Just as bad as one having LT bars.

Warrants tend to be a little older too. Those bars on some so young would raise eyebrows, best case, and in the worst case could be a major issue.

As for making FO bars, it wouldn't be hard to do at all. HQ needs to tell Vanguard what they want done, and let them do it.

Thing is, noone seems to want to tell National "Hey, this is an issue, and needs to be dealt with! Do something about it."

That, or it's just falling on deaf ears.

afgeo4

First of all... they wouldn't be "warrant" bars. They would just look like them. You don't see the military protesting that we have 28 year olds walking around with Major oak leaves, do you? Know why? Cuz they don't care. We're not their concern. We have no effect on them... at all. We are a whole different bowl of wax as far as Soldiers are concerned (that's if they even know who we are).

Besides, don't you already think that someone in the military would equate our current FO, TFO, and SFO bars as WO and CWO bars anyway? What's the difference? No one in today's military knows what a flight officer is anyway.
GEORGE LURYE

Hawk200

Quote from: afgeo4 on January 30, 2008, 09:08:47 PM
No one in today's military knows what a flight officer is anyway.

Sounds like a perfectly good reason to keep them. No confusion.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 30, 2008, 09:02:52 PM
Warrants tend to be a little older too. Those bars on some so young would raise eyebrows, best case, and in the worst case could be a major issue.

The Army has High School to Flight school, and are appointing kids (to most of us here) as Warrant Officers at age 19, possibly even 18.  It happens.
What's up monkeys?

Hawk200

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 30, 2008, 10:36:16 PM

The Army has High School to Flight school, and are appointing kids (to most of us here) as Warrant Officers at age 19, possibly even 18.  It happens.

I've seen teens that went to flight school. They're usually not out til about 20 or 21. Our facility has a guy in basic flight school that just turned 20 a few months ago. He's supposed to go Apache. He won't be too far away from drinking age when he graduates.

Either way, there is no real need for our 18-21 seniors to wear what would obviously look like warrant rank.

SStradley

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 31, 2008, 02:00:57 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on January 30, 2008, 10:36:16 PM

I've seen teens that went to flight school. They're usually not out til about 20 or 21. Our facility has a guy in basic flight school that just turned 20 a few months ago. He's supposed to go Apache. He won't be too far away from drinking age when he graduates.

Either way, there is no real need for our 18-21 seniors to wear what would obviously look like warrant rank.

The point of the post is that there is no rank for our 18-21 year old seniors to wear on their flight suites and TPUs.  What do I tell my Flight Officer son who when he turns 21 will be promoted to 1st Lt. because of his instrument rating when he asks about his flight suite?
Scott Stradley Maj, CAP