Main Menu

Captain By '06 Do-able?

Started by MIKE, July 01, 2005, 03:43:08 AM

MIKE

Wednesday night at the meeting my CC addressed the squadron, and asked the cadets to set a goal to get one or two promotions by sometime in December.  She happened to mention that I was the only active senior member who could be eligible for promotion... I wasn't thinking I would complete the requirements and have my CoP and new grade by December, but my CC thinks I can.

I plan to take SLS in September, but if I enroll in the CAP Senior Officers Course through AFIADL ASAP will I be able to complete the course in time?  Everybody tells me it will be really easy for a former cadet officer like myself.

So is it do-able?  IIRC I have the TIG and then some already plus the specialty track requirements.

It would be nice to be a grade I can actually spell.  :D
Mike Johnston

Pylon

Yeah, it's do-able.  It was recently brought to my attention that I could make Captain by the end of the year as well.

If you've got the SLS in September, sign-up for AFIADL-13 right now.  I signed up last week.  Fax it in, don't mail it.  It'll get there quicker.  It takes you about a week or two to get the materials, a week or two to get the test, and a week or two to get the results processed.

As soon as you get the materials, send in your request card for the test.  Even once it arrives down to your Group, you'll have plenty of time at your leisure to prepare for it and take it when you're ready.  But requesting it right up front ensures that it'll get there with time to spare.

From what I hear, AFIADL-13 is nothing to fret over, especially for a former cadet.  Dan ("Skyhawk") Brodsky said he was able to study the materials one afternoon and take it that night with no problems.

If you've got TIG and you've served your year as a staff officer, then yep -- it's definitely do-able by the end of the year if not before.

Myself, I can do it, but I'm wondering whether or not I should.  A 22-year-old First Lieutenant is rare enough in the real world, that a 22-year-old Captain just looks ridiculous in my opinion.  I might complete the Level, get my COP, and just don't request the promotion for a bit.  Eh... we'll see.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pace

Quote from: Pylon on July 01, 2005, 03:54:31 AM
Myself, I can do it, but I'm wondering whether or not I should.  A 22-year-old First Lieutenant is rare enough in the real world, that a 22-year-old Captain just looks ridiculous in my opinion.  I might complete the Level, get my COP, and just don't request the promotion for a bit.  Eh... we'll see.
Happens with Spaatz cadets that go senior all the time.  Also consider the young FAA weenies that have their CFI, IGI, or A&P w/inspection authorization when they're 21.

NOTE: I fit into one of those categories so no flaming from anyone.
Lt Col, CAP

MIKE

Well, I'm 24 and my date of grade for 1st Lt was 10 April '02  (That means I'm senior to you losers.  ;))... I think don't really care that much about the promotion 'cause in CAP grade doesn't mean a whole heck of a lot, but I do care about the training... I want to do SLS and AFIADL 00013.  If I get SLS out of the way, I can take CLC in the fall right?

If anything, I'd promote 'cause the cadidiots would think it was cool... They seemed to think it was cool when I got my Yeager.
Mike Johnston

arajca

Quote from: Pylon on July 01, 2005, 03:54:31 AM
As soon as you get the materials, send in your request card for the test.  Even once it arrives down to your Group, you'll have plenty of time at your leisure to prepare for it and take it when you're ready.  But requesting it right up front ensures that it'll get there with time to spare.
AFIADL has changed it prodecure on requesting tests - check the Knowledge base for details, but they will no longer (as of 1 Jan 05) send out the test when you send in the ADIADL Form 17 - it is now only used to request assistance from the course developers/writers. You need to go to the AFIADL website and request the test though their Assistance Request process.

As for requesting the test early, DO IT! Your unit testing officer can hold the test until the last day of your enrollment (1 year, I think). Just don't forget it's there.

BlueLakes1

You shouldn't have any problem at all getting your stuff done by '06. I got my Level 1 done in August '04, enrolled in 00013 in Oct. '04, finished and received Level 2 in March '05. Yes, I was one of those direct appointment weenies myself. I should finish my Level 3 in August, I'll have 1 year staff time then, my only hang up will be making both Region Conference and National Boards.

Sorry if that was a bit too long winded, but if you want it by '06, you should have no problem whatsoever.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC