Main Menu

The end of "U.S. CAP"?

Started by Eagle400, October 06, 2007, 10:25:57 PM

With Pineda gone, will the name "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" go away?

Yes
39 (49.4%)
No
40 (50.6%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Eagle400

Tony Pineda was the one behind the whole "United States Civil Air Patrol" thing.  Now that he is gone for good, will CAP continue to be known as the "U.S. CAP"? 

CASH172

I'm afraid we've just invested too much money into the whole USCAP thing.  I've seen a lot of people with the new nametapes.  Plus the new USCAP command patch is everywhere, all of our corporate aircraft, vans, and new binders too. 

JohnKachenmeister

It will take a few years, but it will be gone.
Another former CAP officer

jeders

Quote from: CASH172 on October 06, 2007, 10:28:09 PM
I'm afraid we've just invested too much money into the whole USCAP thing.  I've seen a lot of people with the new nametapes.  Plus the new USCAP command patch is everywhere, all of our corporate aircraft, vans, and new binders too. 

Well there was a large cost to switch to USCAP when we had had just CAP for so long. I personally don't see any reason to keep the US in our name and am hoping that it will soon go away. Of course if none of us peons complain to the higher ups, we may be stuck with it for a while.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SoCalCAPOfficer

Please explain to me what is the problem with having "U.S." in CAP.  Why does this cause such heartburn to some?
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

JayT

Some people view the 'U.S.' as an attempt to futher distance ourself from the U.S. Air Force, rather then act as a subcommand within the USAF
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

dwb

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on October 07, 2007, 12:11:30 AMPlease explain to me what is the problem with having "U.S." in CAP.  Why does this cause such heartburn to some?

Well, I'm not answering for anyone else, but my personal opinion is that:

1. The name of the organization is "Civil Air Patrol"
2. The justification they put out was lame
3. It's a whole lot of change for no real benefit, at a cost to the volunteer membership
4. It's indicitive of misplaced priorities; why spend all this time adding "U.S." to everything when we should be working on our missions and keeping people in the organization

Eagle400

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on October 07, 2007, 12:11:30 AM
Please explain to me what is the problem with having "U.S." in CAP.  Why does this cause such heartburn to some?

Gladly.

Quote from: CAP Constitution, Article IINAME AND STATUS
The name of the Corporation shall be "Civil Air Patrol" and its status is that of the volunteer civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force. The Corporation may also be referred to as "Civil Air Patrol" or by such other titles as may be approved in the Bylaws.

Quote from: CAP Constitution, Section IINAME AND CORPORATE SEAL
2.1 The name of Civil Air Patrol may be stated by any of the following:
a. "Civil Air Patrol"
b. "Civil Air Patrol, incorporated under Special Act of Congress approved July 1, 1946, Public Law 476, 79th Congress"
2.2 Each unit, including National Headquarters, shall use a name expressing its designation, the words "Civil Air Patrol" and may also refer to its status as the United States Air Force Auxiliary as set forth in regulations.

Quote from: 14 USC 4036The corporation has the exclusive right to use the name "Civil Air Patrol" and all insignia, copyrights, emblems, badges, descriptive or designating marks, words, and phrases the corporation adopts. This section does not affect any vested rights.

Quote from: 20 USC 9442a) Volunteer Civilian Auxiliary. - The Civil Air Patrol is a volunteer civilian auxiliary of the Air Force when the services of the Civil Air Patrol are used by any department or agency in any branch of the Federal Government.

Emphasis mine.

None of these documents refer to "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" or allow for the use of that name in any document or title.  In order to legally use "U.S. Civil Air Patrol", the Constitution & Bylaws and USC would have to be changed to include "U.S. Civil Air Patrol."

In addition, "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" makes the organization seem more official than it really is.  It is also unnecessarily redundant to have "U.S. Civil Air Patrol, U.S. Air Force Auxiliary."

jeders

Quote from: justin_bailey on October 07, 2007, 12:19:11 AM
Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on October 07, 2007, 12:11:30 AMPlease explain to me what is the problem with having "U.S." in CAP.  Why does this cause such heartburn to some?

Well, I'm not answering for anyone else, but my personal opinion is that:

1. The name of the organization is "Civil Air Patrol"
2. The justification they put out was lame
3. It's a whole lot of change for no real benefit, at a cost to the volunteer membership
4. It's indicitive of misplaced priorities; why spend all this time adding "U.S." to everything when we should be working on our missions and keeping people in the organization

That pretty much explains it for me.

Also, to add to my previous post, I still haven't bought a single item with USCAP on it, I'm holding out til the very last second, because I'm pretty sure it'll get changed back to how it should used to be.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Major Carrales

Glady,

AGENDISM!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Eagle400

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 12:21:29 AM

Glady,

AGENDISM!

Apparently, you haven't read the CAP Constitution & Bylaws or the U.S. Code when it comes to this issue.   

Major Carrales

Quote from: ♠1 on October 07, 2007, 12:25:20 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 12:21:29 AM

Glady,

AGENDISM!

Apparently, you haven't read the CAP Constitution & Bylaws or the U.S. Code when it comes to this issue.   

Well, i have read them.  But I have also read your posts and the posts of others and...yup...there it is...AGENDISM.

You have an agenda...you HATED Pineda.  You transferred your hatred of him to thing that happened while he was in office.  Your agenda was to see him gone, or at least talk a mean talk about it.  He's gone.  You are now OBSOLETE.

So, now you bring up the US Flag and USCAP... residual elements of your agenda.

The fight between the two opposing sides is now at an end.  Now, join CAP...as a patron for $35.  But you can, or won't...likely because of your residual agenda.

What makes you think that anyone is going to forget these agendistic posts of yours should you rejojn?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Didn't we have this poll once already?  I wouldn't be surprised if it was started by the same individual.
Mike Johnston

Eagle400

Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 12:31:00 AMWhat makes you think that anyone is going to forget these agendistic posts of yours should you rejojn?

What makes you think anyone will recognize me once I rejoin?  That sword cuts both ways, Major. 

PHall

Quote from: ♠1 on October 07, 2007, 12:49:37 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on October 07, 2007, 12:31:00 AMWhat makes you think that anyone is going to forget these agendistic posts of yours should you rejojn?

What makes you think anyone will recognize me once I rejoin?  That sword cuts both ways, Major. 

Oh believe me, some of us will recognize you in a second!

Eagle400

Quote from: PHall on October 07, 2007, 01:25:12 AM

Given that my name appears nowhere on any of the forums I am a part of, including my picture (or a picture of me, for that matter), that is highly unlikely.  Go bully someone else! 

Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. ... It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation...at the hand of an intolerant society. - U.S. Supreme Court, McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, 1995

Major Carrales

Quote from: ♠1 on October 07, 2007, 02:27:34 AM
Quote from: PHall on October 07, 2007, 01:25:12 AM

Given that my name appears nowhere on any of the forums I am a part of, including my picture (or a picture of me, for that matter), that is highly unlikely.  Go bully someone else! 

Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. ... It thus exemplifies the purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular: to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation...at the hand of an intolerant society. - U.S. Supreme Court, McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Commission, 1995

You were a C/Maj in An east Coast Squadron, one of the Mid-Atlanic States. Planned on a Military Career, but was denied.  It's a common story ;)

Plus, that you do this...Anonymity, is a violation of the core values.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ♠1 on October 07, 2007, 02:27:34 AMGiven that my name appears nowhere on any of the forums I am a part of, including my picture (or a picture of me, for that matter), that is highly unlikely.  Go bully someone else!

Don't be so sure about that... eventually you'll slip up and someone will figure out who you are. Anonymity doesn't last for very long. You don't have to publish a name or a picture... writing styles can be giveaways as well. Remember the telegraphers with distinctive 'fists'? They were identified by the manner in which they transmitted code. Ever so subtle, but recognizable, nonetheless.

I don't have to hide who I am... my signature block identifies me in practically every CAP forum I participate in. There are several pictures of me on the Web. My user name appears in other non-CAP forums. And I am a published author as well - though my book will never make the New York Times bestseller list.

To each his own, I guess...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

RiverAux

I don't think we'll see any immediate changes at the next few major meetings.  Maybe in a year or two we might get rid of the nametapes.  While I don't particularly like the new command badges, they don't bother me nearly as much as the very small US in them seems like more of a separate part of the symbol rather than being obviously part of the name. 

dwb