Placing CAP under command of 1st Air Force

Started by RiverAux, September 23, 2007, 09:21:41 PM

SarDragon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on September 29, 2007, 02:45:34 AM
I agree with you, Bill.

I do not like this proposal, I was only speculating on how it would work.

As far as the cadets are concerned, it wouldn't work at all.

And without our cadets, CAP's future officer corps won't exist.  Just check your own units and see how many of your officers started out as cadets.

I'm guessing about 60-70 percent.

That varies from unit to unit. In senior squadrons, you will probably have a lower percentage. I think we have about 15% former cadets in my unit. Cadet and composite squadrons are probably higher. I would debate 60-70%, though. Seems high.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

thefischNX01

My unit, a composite squadron, has zero percent former cadets in it's senior pool.  Maybe that's over the top, but I too agree that 60-70% is a high estimation. 
Capt. Colin Fischer, CAP
Deputy Commander for Cadets
Easton Composite Sqdn
Maryland Wing
http://whats-a-flight-officer.blogspot.com/

JohnKachenmeister

It WAS a guess, and I did zero research before making that wild speculation.  So I can't go to the wall with it.  But I strongly suspect at least half of our officers have a cadet background.  In some cases you may have to ask them about it.  We have a few who had like a 30 year break between cadet and CAP officer.  Those 30 years are sometimes called their "Lives," and it is rumored that people not in CAP actually have such things.
Another former CAP officer

Skyray

Around here, it seems like former cadets suddenly have an epiphany when they have kids of their own turning eleven or twelve.  Like Kach, my data is anecdotal, but I can point to eight or ten just in my small universe.  Must have been some really outstanding leadership around here say twenty or thirty years ago.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Dragoon

This is why I like the NG option.

The National Guard is like a microcosm of the military.  They do operations and training.  And they operate on a local, CONUS level, often coordinating with state governments and agencies.  But when needed, they do federal stuff.

Just like us.

JohnKachenmeister

That's why I think CAP is a better fit there.

Both CAP and the NG have a "Dual" mission.  The NG is authorized under title 32 to perform missions as the state's military force, and under title 10 as a federal force.

CAP is authorized under title 36 to serve as a state OR local air arm, but also serves as a federal asset under tiotle 10.
Another former CAP officer