A philosophical question: Deputy/Vice commanders and their roles

Started by Holding Pattern, June 03, 2021, 12:01:24 AM

Holding Pattern

I'm not sure what the statutory answer on this is so I thought I'd run it by here.

Are they supposed to be utilized as individuals whom the commander has delegated SOME authority to, where they can make decisions as if they are the commander making the decision AND who can take over when the commander is absent, or are they treated as another link in the chain that you must always pass requests through before they go to the commander AND someone who can take over when the commander is absent?

Eclipse

By regulation, CDs and VCs have no direct reports, and only have authority
in the absence of the commander. (Wing and Region Diversity Officers report to the CVs)

They are also not in the Chain of Command.

See CAPR 30-1: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R_301_with_ICL_2007_Incorporated_DE257BAA42856.pdf

However a sitting Commander may choose to delegate authority, and create whatever
chain of Command they see fit.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on June 03, 2021, 12:20:33 AMHowever a sitting Commander may choose to delegate authority, and create whatever
chain of Command they see fit.

Hence one of the reasons my telling newbies often ... visit a few Squadrons first, as they can be day & night different.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

jeders

I'll give my experience as a currently serving group deputy commander.

I have zero authority whatsoever. However, the group commander has delegated to me responsibility for leading and mentoring some of the program elements. For instance, I handle a lot of the oversight for operations and training in the group. This is all done with the commander's guidance (i.e. I don't make up the objectives, I just help make things happen so that we meet her goals). If the commander changes her mind about what she wants me doing, then I do something else.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spam

Hi again, Pattern.

I've had four Squadron commander tours, one tour as a Wing Vice Commander, and I'm currently on my second Group Commander tour. I've also been a Squadron Deputy a couple of times since the 80s. I probably will win the rubber ball award at some point.

I think Jeders has hit an apt description of the Deputy/Vice job description role. As her Vice Commander, my (delegated!) authority was circumscribed by my Wing Commanders specific direction and commanders guidance. We trusted that when I acted in her place to supervise the three northern Groups of my Wing, I would settle issues in accordance with her stated policies and philosophies, in her stead. In any cases where I personally disagreed - and I honestly can't think of such an instance but it could have happened - I would have stifled that and would have acted in accordance with how SHE would have wanted it done. In return, she would back me up should I ever have faced push back.  

Is this a relic of a feudalistic relationship? Probably!!! Does it work? Absolutely!

Where does it break down? It breaks down when the trusted agency relationship between the Commander and Deputy/Vice breaks down. For example, when a CV or CDD/CDS decides that they are a minor Commander in their own right and they start setting their own policies and making command decisions that conflict, rather than seeing themselves as "agents" of the boss.

One (non CAP) example of such a breakdown currently in the news is where a current state Lt Governor decided to contravene an established policy of the absent Governor to score political points (they are apparently political rivals). This breaks what the USAF calls "Unity of Command" and is destructive to good management and leadership, regardless of where one falls on the specific issue (i.e. lets avoid discussing that issue).

R/s (Respectfully Submitted),
Spam