How to receive the AFA, AFSA & VFW Awards?

Started by jfkspotting, July 26, 2018, 09:48:08 PM

jfkspotting

How does one apply or receive these very special cadet awards?

Eclipse

Quote from: jfkspotting on July 26, 2018, 09:48:08 PM

They are presented at the discretion of the Commander or his delegate, not all units
even know about them, let alone present them.

There is no application process for the individual. 

An interested cadet could bring the awards to the attention of the leadership, then from
there it's up to them.

"That Others May Zoom"

JayT

What makes them very special?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SarDragon

Quote from: JayT on July 26, 2018, 10:47:34 PM

What makes them very special?
IMHO, the fact that they are awarded by an outside agency to recognize superior performance in CAP.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on July 26, 2018, 11:49:03 PM
IMHO, the fact that they are awarded by an outside agency to recognize superior performance in CAP.

It's nice the agencies provide them, but at least as far as AFA and AFSA, they are awarded by
CAP, not the esteemed organizaiton.  The organizations have no idea what or why about the
cadet other then the name (assuming the unit CC send it in).

With that said, I've always wondered why they aren't considered decs that can be worn by cadets who transition to
senior.  They are "over and above" their peers.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2018, 12:03:22 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 26, 2018, 11:49:03 PM

It's nice the agencies provide them, but at least as far as AFA and AFSA, they are awarded by
CAP, not the esteemed organizaiton.  The organizations have no idea what or why about the
cadet other then the name (assuming the unit CC send it in).

With that said, I've always wondered why they aren't considered decs that can be worn by cadets who transition to
senior.  They are "over and above" their peers.

Per 39-3, the Unit Commander SHOULD be submitting justification/summary of the Cadet's accomplishments to the "issuing" authority (AFSA, AFA, etc).  At least that's ostensibly what should be happening.

Spam

What interesting timing...

I had lunch at the O Club today with the local AFA leadership and the Commander of the base airlift group regarding reinvigorating a 3 way partnership.  AFA scholarships and AE grants were two topics they brought up... and renewing ties to restart USAF military O flights were another (as a regularly scheduled and funded incentive activity!). CAP support during DR missions were yet another topic (would like to write CAP into the mobilization Opplans)... "Total Force", baby!

Commanders, please take some time and read the references on these great organizations and our MOUs. We have some great mutual interests - lets turn that into fruitful service activities.

R/s
Spam

Eclipse

Quote from: 68w20 on July 27, 2018, 03:04:38 AM
Per 39-3, the Unit Commander SHOULD be submitting justification/summary of the Cadet's accomplishments to the "issuing" authority (AFSA, AFA, etc).  At least that's ostensibly what should be happening.

Should being the key word there.  For years the AFA and AFSA sent awards in advance of
presentation for "future use", up until at least Jan this year, I always had at least one in the chamber
ready to be presented.

When I gave them I always sent the name to the org, and there was always a willingness to try and
send someone to present, however logistics just never worked out.

The presentation medals are really sharp, especially the AFSA one, which is pretty big.  Would make a nice
coin, actually.

Again, I never did a VFW, but the AFA and AFSA were always very attentive to getting award elements
sent, so if your unit doesn't have them, put in a request.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Question:
Are you looking for someone that is eligible/worthy, or are you looking to earn them yourself?