Main Menu

Seeking some Advice

Started by Capmonkey, January 14, 2018, 07:51:36 PM

Fester

Quote from: CAP9907 on January 14, 2018, 09:00:49 PM
How could you possibly know all of that? This Cadet surely was appointed by a competent authority... do you claim to know more than that authority?

Settle down and just do your job and let others do theirs.

YMMV

I think the claim that every senior member in leadership in our organization is competent MAY just be a stretch.  HAHA.  I've seen PLENTY of them that aren't.  As you say, "YMMV."

Our organization doesn't believe in blind followership.  We want cadets (and seniors) that are critical thinkers.  I'm not a fan of "suck it up - he outranks you" because it seems to be blind followership. Our organization also isn't a fan of insubordination - for good reason.  But neither of these are the OP's only options.  Many responses have given him good info on what he can do to improve the situation and I hope he chose to utilize that info in his decision making process.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fester on January 30, 2018, 06:47:25 PM
Quote from: CAP9907 on January 14, 2018, 09:00:49 PM
How could you possibly know all of that? This Cadet surely was appointed by a competent authority... do you claim to know more than that authority?

Settle down and just do your job and let others do theirs.

YMMV

I think the claim that every senior member in leadership in our organization is competent MAY just be a stretch.  HAHA.  I've seen PLENTY of them that aren't.  As you say, "YMMV."

Our organization doesn't believe in blind followership.  We want cadets (and seniors) that are critical thinkers. I'm not a fan of "suck it up - he outranks you" because it seems to be blind followership. Our organization also isn't a fan of insubordination - for good reason.  But neither of these are the OP's only options.  Many responses have given him good info on what he can do to improve the situation and I hope he chose to utilize that info in his decision making process.

+1

Discipline:

• The instant, willing obedience to orders
  • Respect for authority
  • Self-reliance

You need to listen to your superiors because they are in charge. You need to have a respect for their decisions. But you need to be able to rely on yourself, including your own knowledge and expertise, so that you know when your own judgment is required as well as when you have an obligation to say "No, I don't think that's a good idea."

Follow the chain of command while remaining autonomous