Isotron HF antenna experience?

Started by tribalelder, November 05, 2017, 08:27:52 PM

tribalelder

I'm in an antenna restricted community.  Low mounted terminated folded dipole -barely visible over 6 foot fenceā€”is very disappointing. A two band isotron antenna would fit within the association rules. (Hamstick dipole is not within rules).) Anybody used one of these? Successfully? Worthwhile compromise? Junk? This would be an 80/40, retuned for CAP, mounted at about 30 feet.
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

EMT-83

The reviews on eHam are mixed, folks either love 'em or hate 'em. Kinda pricey, too.

Do you have any other options? My 80 meter Inverted L is invisible from the street; 18 gauge black wire with buried coax.

A mag loop (STL) might work, and you could build your own. Check some of the discussion forums on QRZ.com for ideas. Some of those guys are pretty clever.

BTW, a T2FD is just one step up from a dummy load. No surprise that performance would be disappointing.

w7sar

I'm not sure this forum is a great place to get engineering information  >:D >:D

On the NHQ comm staff, we have some very talented engineering folk that can give you a lot of data on the Isotron and also work with you on developing a possible solution for a small lot.  You can email them direct at DOKE and they will give you some good information and even help you design an antenna for a small lot.  If you want information on the T2FD (or the CAP's current variant) contact DOKO and Chuck can help you with information on the correct way to put up this antenna.  He uses one daily for the national nets and he has a great signal.

You can always reach out to DOK and get help as well.  We can put you in contact with your wing or region communications people.

Welcome to CAP ... it's rewarding or frustrating depending on the day of the week or the hour of the day.

BTW all the office symbols for comm folk (above) are at the gov domain at capnhq.

Jerry
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

tribalelder

EMT-83- thanks for input. I'll dig on the mag loop design to see if I can fit it into the size limit I agreed to in my HOA rules. At the time, I really hadn't figured I'd be pursuing CAP HF again and could get by with vhf J-pole in attic.

Col. Wellman- thanks for the lead-I will follow up. Since I'm not using USAF funded equipment (haven't since I built my Knight-kit on 26.62 as a cadet before I could drive), I really hadn't expected national headquarters assistance-NEAT!
WE ARE HERE ON CAPTALK BECAUSE WE ALL CARE ABOUT THE PROGRAM. We may not always agree and we should not always agree.  One of our strengths as an organization is that we didn't all go to the same school, so we all know how to do something different and differently. 
Since we all care about CAP, its members and our missions, sometimes our discussions will be animated, but they should always civil -- after all, it's in our name.

EMT-83

Good luck with your projects! Playing with antennas is a favorite pastime of mine, drives the wife a little crazy though.

BTW, there are a lot better choices out there than a J-pole: less than unity gain and plagued with CMC issues.