Wear your blues to religious services day? Is that real?

Started by KG7YTS, October 21, 2017, 01:33:47 AM

KG7YTS

A few times I have heard rumors about wearing Blues to church on the closest Sunday to December 1 (CAPs Birthday). It was posted by CAP Chaplains on Instagram a few years ago, and I have seen people post it in other places in more recent years. Is this a real thing? I have been trying to find something official about it in 39-1 and the CAP website but haven't.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Commo

Is there a section of the country or population segment where this happens?

I've never seen it or heard of it, and attended many a service in my youth.  I can't recall a service with anyone in a dress uniform, either, outside of a wedding or a funeral.

I do recall a few instances of utility uniforms, both military and local law enforcement, as they attend a service en route to their weekend duties, but never a dress uniform in a regular service.

Commo

Eclipse

It's a CAP thing, not a church thing, so it's random and usually cadets.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on October 23, 2017, 11:49:53 PM

Back in my day as a cadet, it was at our Squadron Chaplain's church that we all went to. We didn't just randomly go to church in uniform.

(I wasn't the most church-going lad in my youth, so this was treat!)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

SarDragon

Quote from: NIN on October 23, 2017, 11:54:04 PM

Back in my day as a cadet, it was at our Squadron Chaplain's church that we all went to. We didn't just randomly go to church in uniform.

(I wasn't the most church-going lad in my youth, so this was treat!)

Same thing here, on the first Sunday in December. Most of the squadron, seniors and cadets, would attend.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brit_in_CAP

Correct, and a good description.  I'm the only person in my unit who does this, and, as it happens, none of our cadets choose to do this. 

Spam

Never did this. I only went to one service in '83 or so uniform as a cadet (Ash Wednesday evening mass).  Afterwards hurried downstairs to fall in for inspection at our squadron meeting. My unit CO made it to my squad at the rear, and began inspecting at my (immaculate) shiny toes and worked his way up. When he got to my forehead (with an ash cross symbol drawn on it) he stated, "Cadet, whats that crap you have all over your... uhh... umm... disregard". We grinned.  Turned out that (as a cadet himself) he had made his impromptu first communion at a GAWG encampment on a lark (went to mass to get out of barracks duty) and he now is a man of faith. Funny how seeds get planted.

Vr
Spam

Fubar

Seems like an odd excuse to wear a military uniform for no reason other than to wear a military uniform in front of others.

What do the folks who can't wear blues do? Other than wear them anyway, I mean.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Fubar on October 24, 2017, 06:13:01 PM
Seems like an odd excuse to wear a military uniform for no reason other than to wear a military uniform in front of others.

What do the folks who can't wear blues do? Other than wear them anyway, I mean.
G/W, no polo shirts, no fatigues.

Chappie

This event was established in 1972.  As a CAP Chaplain, when I pastored I wore the uniform on this day of observance.  It provided me an opportunity to share with my congregation the community service (or ministry) that I provided/participated in outside the "four walls of the church" and to educate them on the 3-fold mission of Civil Air Patrol.  On many occasions, members of the local Squadron attended the service as well - and I would have a couple of them share about CAP.  It was a positive experience. When I served as Wing and Region Chaplain I would encourage all the members of the Chaplain Corps to participate on this week-end - wearing either their USAF-style or corporate uniform.  As a result there were individuals recruited to join CAP...a few joined as Chaplains or CDIs. 
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

SarDragon

That must be the national start. I did it in the '60s WIWAC, in NJ.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

vorteks

+1

People are going to be thanking you for your service and by that almost all will mean MILITARY service. If you served-great. Otherwise why draw attention to yourself. It's church.

Toad1168

Quote from: vorteks on October 26, 2017, 01:24:49 PM

+1

People are going to be thanking you for your service and by that almost all will mean MILITARY service. If you served-great. Otherwise why draw attention to yourself. It's church.

Bottom line, this is a long standing practice in the Civil Air Patrol.  If you don't want to do it, don't.  But it is authorized by NHQ.
Toad

OldGuy

CAP Sunday/Sabbath. In 1972 the CAP National Board designated the first Sunday in December as CAP Sunday. Soon after that, the Saturday before was added to the celebration for those whose day of worship is Saturday. The weekend commemorates the fact that CAP was chartered by the U.S. Congress on December 1, 1941. CAP Sunday/ Sabbath gives CAP chaplains an opportunity to acquaint their churches with their ministry as CAP chaplains. Sometimes units may choose to support their chaplain by all worshipping in the same place, and in uniform. Other units encourage members to attend the church or synagogue of their choice in uniform. This is an excellent opportunity to take the message of aerospace to non-CAP members. For chaplains, it is also an excellent opening for telling their religious bodies about the importance of moral leadership in CAP.

There are no established requirements but the occasion might be marked by asking a CAP cadet squadron to serve as honor guards to position the flags during a church service or to have a CAP chaplain speak or present a CAP program to a church group.

Holding Pattern

+1

Sounds like an educational opportunity to me.

Chappie

+1

And when they realize that the service rendered by CAP is performed by volunteers ... they are all the more impressed. The wearing of the uniform is not self-serving rather a great discussion starter.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Chappie on October 27, 2017, 03:55:22 AM

And when they realize that the service rendered by CAP is performed by volunteers ... they are all the more impressed. The wearing of the uniform is not self-serving rather a great discussion starter.

+1, and that has *always* been my experience.