What kind of aircraft have you solo'd in?

Started by jfkspotting, October 16, 2017, 12:12:40 AM

jfkspotting

DO flight academy NCSA or encampment flight academies at CAP ever use the C182/206 or Maule's to help cadet's solo?

I've only ever seen C172's used. What kind of C172's are usually used?

Flying Pig

The 206 and the 182 require high performance endorsements.  Those aren't solo type aircraft.  The Maule I don't know much about but again, the 172 is the best for the short amount of time needed to be able to solo

FlightNut

When I went, I soloed in the 172R. I know that there were also a few P models (those seemed to be the most common) and a S model. I think the model just depends on the resources available to to the region/wing, although I have never seen a 182 or 206.

arajca

I don't recall the exact model, but at the 1985 ILWG Flight Encampment (yes, that was it was called) I free solo'd in a hot air balloon.

Mitchell 1969

At the "Cadet Flying Encampments" if days gone by (60's-70's) the instruction was largely contracted out to flight schools, especially at universities. Solo happened in whatever they operated, typically Cessna 150.

My experience included a Flying Encampment which required solo and a total of 15 hours to happen before attending, but there were 2/3 matching funds available for that. I soloed in a C-150 at a local school, at 6.5 hours dual. The license phase was at Oklahoma State University, where I got the Private certificate at 37.5 hours.

(I think those times are pretty much unheard of now days. But, for solo, I flew pretty much every day, from an uncontrolled field. For the license phase, we flew every weekday at least once per day, sometimes twice, over four weeks, so there was very little recapping and catching up to do at each lesson).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Castle Bravo

While I'm here, does anyone know if there are restrictions on what a cadet can solo in? We only have a C182 at my unit and I want to earn my solo wings to better my chances at getting into the SUPT-FAM NCSA and I've already solo'd in my regular flight training so I figured I'd give it a shot but the request with the form we sent in was denied because it had to be in a CAP aircraft.

Eclipse

Are you otherwise qualified to fly a 182? 182's need additional endorsements.

"That Others May Zoom"

Castle Bravo

Probably not, I've only had 26 hours in a 162 and 3 in a 172

SarDragon

From CAPR 60-1:

1-3. Definition of Terms.
j. CAP Solo Pilot – Student pilot qualified to solo CAP aircraft. Solo is limited to gliders or single-engine land airplanes that are not complex, high performance (except C182 airplanes), tailwheel, or ski/float equipped. Solo flight is considered to be flight instruction toward a private pilot certificate under the supervision of a CAP Instructor Pilot.

2-8. Pilot Training.
d. For C182 airplanes, a student pilot must obtain the written permission of their wing or region commander to train in a specific C182 airplane and with a specific flight instructor. Such permission may be granted for multiple flights (including all the flights needed to complete private pilot flight training). Any change of flight instructor or C182 airplane used will require another written permission be obtained by the student.

3-7. a. CAP Solo Pilot.
(3) For C182 airplanes, 25 (including cross wind, short, soft and simulated engine failure) dual take-offs & landings with a CAP instructor in a C182 airplane prior to solo.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret