Main Menu

Mentor Time

Started by ghost22, September 25, 2017, 10:16:43 PM

ghost22

So my squadron has this thing called mentor time where the element leaders mentor the cadets in their element.  It is usually about 5-10 minutes.  Does anyone have any ideas of anything I can do during mentor time to help the cadets in my flight?

Spaceman3750

#1 - This topic is awesome.
#2 - Page 38 of the Cadet Staff Handbook has some of the core responsibilities of the element leader. I would use this time to help accomplish that. https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_015_21F7ACED34F45.pdf
#3 - Find out how your element members are doing in their progression and where they are struggling. Are they having a hard time with their latest leadership test? About face just not clicking? While you can't solve all of these problems in 5-10 minutes, part of being a mentor is knowing where your people are struggling (and doing well) and reporting that to your superiors so that they can get additional help.

As a squadron commander, I have very little visibility to know how individual cadets are doing at the element level. There are some reporting tools that help, but ultimately I rely on my cadet staff (and hopefully soon some additional senior member support) to help me know what is going on. The element leader is a crucial, yet underutilized (even in my squadron where I have direct influence over this stuff), piece of this puzzle.

Eclipse

We just started doing something similar, very recently.

It's free-form for questions, concerns, uniform issues, bearing, etc.
It appears that despite 24x7 access between most cadets, many never speak to each
other outside the context of the meeting, and rarely about CAP.

"That Others May Zoom"

ghost22

Quote from: Eclipse on September 25, 2017, 10:27:22 PM

It appears that despite 24x7 access between most cadets, many never speak to each
other outside the context of the meeting, and rarely about CAP.

It is the same for me.  Most cadets never discuss CAP outside of the meetings.

ghost22

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 25, 2017, 10:23:03 PM
#1 - This topic is awesome.
#2 - Page 38 of the Cadet Staff Handbook has some of the core responsibilities of the element leader. I would use this time to help accomplish that. https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_015_21F7ACED34F45.pdf
#3 - Find out how your element members are doing in their progression and where they are struggling. Are they having a hard time with their latest leadership test? About face just not clicking? While you can't solve all of these problems in 5-10 minutes, part of being a mentor is knowing where your people are struggling (and doing well) and reporting that to your superiors so that they can get additional help.

As a squadron commander, I have very little visibility to know how individual cadets are doing at the element level. There are some reporting tools that help, but ultimately I rely on my cadet staff (and hopefully soon some additional senior member support) to help me know what is going on. The element leader is a crucial, yet underutilized (even in my squadron where I have direct influence over this stuff), piece of this puzzle.

Thanks for the advice!

Jester

I'd say:

- start with a CAPF 50-1 and go over what each rating means: https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/F501_039F5287C1BDA.doc

- take a uniform inspection scorecard and show them what they need to hit an "Excellent" in each category.  Show them how to military tuck a shirt, or show them shirtstays, or cardboard behind nametags/ribbons, how to shine shoes/boots, etc.  It's all out there for you to learn if you don't already know: https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/Inspection_Cards__4up_E36E6839CE6C4.pdf

- You can also take the Cadet Oath and break it down piece by piece, going over what each line means, how it ties to Core Values, etc.

- We use a printed tracker for each promotion, which has all the requirements and they get them signed off as they complete them.  A quick review of this kind of document can help you hold them accountable to keep up their progression.