How often does CAP repaint the fleet?

Started by jfkspotting, September 19, 2017, 11:30:30 PM

NIN

Quote from: FW on September 20, 2017, 02:56:15 AM
<snip>
That said, until recently, aircraft were repainted when the went thru the "refurb" process. I understand this program is no longer in effect.
<snip>

The refurb program is indeed still in effect. Something like 9 aircraft are being refurb'd right now.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

jfkspotting

Live2Learn

Quote from: jfkspotting on October 02, 2017, 01:46:01 AM
where do they get refurbished

Good question.  FWIW, paint shops used by CAP seem to be low bidder (if that's what we think of as "refurbish").   

Just my humble opinion, but I'd say "Ditto for maintenance depots" that just meet the minimum contractual requirements...  which may be poorly understood by UMOs and others.  Some States use an RFP approach (Request for Proposal) rather than low bid contracts for professional and maintenance services. Note the substantial difference in intent when interested parties are "proposers" rather than "bidders"!   RFQ proposals I've seen treat cost as a secondary (but still important) consideration.  The FFP quote includes proposer qualifications, history, references, and by implication, likely outcomes. Only after proposals are ranked and fact checked do cost discussions begin. I've seen several CAP maintenance providers for CAP aircraft come and go, some because they didn't think their economics worked out after dipping their toes into the CAP contract waters, others because minimum bidders just couldn't perform at the level the end users (custodial squadrons & aircrew) expect. 

FW

Quote from: NIN on September 21, 2017, 08:54:12 PM
Quote from: FW on September 20, 2017, 02:56:15 AM
<snip>
That said, until recently, aircraft were repainted when the went thru the "refurb" process. I understand this program is no longer in effect.
<snip>

The refurb program is indeed still in effect. Something like 9 aircraft are being refurb'd right now.
Actually, there are 4 to 6 aircraft still in the pipeline.  These will be finished.  The remaining will be given annual inspections and returned to service as is.  CAP is considering purchase of Yingling "O timed aircraft".  These babies cost about $100k more than those CAP has refurbed, and don't include glass panel avionics... 

https://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/blog/2015/07/yingling-aviation-launches-remanufactured-cessna.html

FW

Quote from: Live2Learn on October 02, 2017, 03:12:42 PM
Quote from: jfkspotting on October 02, 2017, 01:46:01 AM
where do they get refurbished

Good question.  FWIW, paint shops used by CAP seem to be low bidder (if that's what we think of as "refurbish").   

The "refurb" process includes new paint, interior, all parts brought to "as new standard", new avionics including G500 display, ADS-B compliance, and upgraded ELT.  The cost for all of this is under $150,000.  Considering new C-182s cost around $650,000; not a bad deal...I'm sorry to see it go.