New - possible preview training before picking a track?

Started by jabbr, August 29, 2017, 02:12:46 PM

jabbr

Hi.  I'm close to joining but struggling to choose a track - was hoping something would jump out at me.  Information Technology and/or Historian could be interesting. The Commander sent me a list of current jobs (below).  8 seniors cover all and are often doubled/tripled up - this is a small-medium squadron.  Is there a way to preview any of the training in advance?

• Aerospace Education Officer
    Drug Demand Reduction Officer
    Chaplain
    Character Development Instructor
    Advisor to the Commander
    Commander
    Deputy Commander
    Deputy Commander for Cadets
    Health Services Officer
    Emergency Services Officer
    Finance Officer
    Supply Officer
    Transportation Officer
    Public Affairs Officer
    Recruiting & Retention Officer
    Administrative Officer
    Personnel Officer
    Professional Development Officer
    Testing Officer
    Safety Officer

Eclipse

Here's all the pamphlets that outline the text-book version of the jobs:  https://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/pamphlets-1702/

However the "real-world" duties vary by squadron, so your best best is to ask where the real need it.  If the CC can't quantify that,
there are strategic issues at play here.  Also, if he still thinks some of the below are actual "jobs", he needs some refresher training from higher HQ.

Important, but a new member should be the assistant to these at best.
Aerospace Education Officer
Emergency Services Officer
Finance Officer
Supply Officer
Transportation Officer
Public Affairs Officer
Recruiting & Retention Officer
Administrative Officer
Personnel Officer
Professional Development Officer
Testing Officer
Safety Officer

No longer jobs

Requires special training or approvals, not generall for new members.
Chaplain
Character Development Instructor
Health Services Officer

Placeholder for people with nothing better to do
Advisor to the Commander

You don't need a "job" coming in the door.  Join, get approved, get Level 1 done, and
attend meetings.  You'll soon see where the real needs are versus checkboxes and
can look to help in these areas.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

The first question is where are your native skills and passions. Then where do those fit into the needs of the local unit. Good luck!

GaryVC

Out squadron could use a dedicated Information Technology Officer a lot more than a historian. I think it is the responsibility of the commander and deputy commander(s) to keep track of what the squadron has been doing. You don't need to be a historian for that.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: GaryVC on August 29, 2017, 04:01:16 PM
I think it is the responsibility of the commander and deputy commander(s) to keep track of what the squadron has been doing. You don't need to be a historian for that.

Well sure, yea. That and 100 other things I'm keeping track of.

jabbr

Thanks all.  I think my strongest skills are (in this order) Information Technology, Health and Teaching something I enjoy.  For now I'll focus on becoming a member and see what pans out

Commo

Communications!

You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us! :D

I didn't see that on your list; the other seniors must be hogging the awesomeness that is Commo for themselves.

In all seriousness, though:  you have a good plan.  Start with what interests you and/or you have skills in, attend meetings, and see where help is needed that you can provide.  Some positions may not have much work in smaller/medium squadrons, but in those same squadrons a few seniors may be wearing many hats in keeping the squadron running.

Commo

MOS: 31U20

TheSkyHornet

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 30, 2017, 08:57:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 03:03:36 PM
No longer jobs

When did that change?

About 3 or 4 years ago when the DDR program was essentially retired with a few remnants being folded directly into the CP.
It's no longer it's own directorate, there's little to no funding available, and DDRX no longer counts towards QCUA.

The DDRO specialty track duties, such that they were, were folded into the CP specialty track in 2014.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1922/~/ddr-officer-specialty-track-study-guide
"As of 6 January 2014, the DDR specialty track pamphlet has been rescinded.  The duties of the DDR Officer have/will be included in the Cadet Programs (CP)
specialty track CAPP 216 Cadet Programs Officer's Handbook & Specialty Track Study Guide Apr 2011 ."

I see that you can still assign someone as DDRO in eServices, but that is likely just a failure for the system to catch up, since
there's no longer specific duties or a track to follow for progression.

Added:

CAPR 52-22, last updated in 2013, indicated that members could continue to progress in DDRO until 2015:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R052_022_17EE936C7547B.pdf
"SUMMARY OF CHANGES: This regulation clarifies and simplifies DDR program management at
all organizational levels of Civil Air Patrol (CAP) to include: changing eligibility for AF/SG funding
to units within a 75-mile (formerly 30-mile) radius of an Air Force installation; a comprehensive
explanation of the importance of DDR as a key aspect of cadet life; confirmation that the Office of
Primary Responsibility (OPR) for CAP DDR is NHQ/CP; elimination of the financial burden, which
previously had to be absorbed by wings participating in DDR; and revision of duty titles for DDR
program managers. This regulation also announces the intent to rescind the Drug Demand Reduction
specialty
on 1 October 2013. Note: On 3 April 2014, paragraph 1-5b, was changed to include a
"grandfather clause" for those members enrolled in the DDR Specialty Track prior to 1 October 2013.
They may continue their progress in the DDR Specialty Track until 1 October 2015."

So clearly the ability to assign new DDROs should have been removed form eServices nearly two years ago.
(I need to go de-assign some people).

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on August 30, 2017, 09:14:26 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on August 30, 2017, 08:57:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on August 29, 2017, 03:03:36 PM
No longer jobs

When did that change?

About 3 or 4 years ago when the DDR program was essentially retired with a few remnants being folded directly into the CP.
It's no longer it's own directorate, there's little to no funding available, and DDRX no longer counts towards QCUA.

The DDRO specialty track duties, such that they were, were folded into the CP specialty track in 2014.

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1922/~/ddr-officer-specialty-track-study-guide
"As of 6 January 2014, the DDR specialty track pamphlet has been rescinded.  The duties of the DDR Officer have/will be included in the Cadet Programs (CP)
specialty track CAPP 216 Cadet Programs Officer's Handbook & Specialty Track Study Guide Apr 2011 ."

I see that you can still assign someone as DDRO in eServices, but that is likely just a failure for the system to catch up, since
there's no longer specific duties or a track to follow for progression.

Added:

CAPR 52-22, last updated in 2013, indicated that members could continue to progress in DDRO until 2015:
https://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R052_022_17EE936C7547B.pdf
"SUMMARY OF CHANGES: This regulation clarifies and simplifies DDR program management at
all organizational levels of Civil Air Patrol (CAP) to include: changing eligibility for AF/SG funding
to units within a 75-mile (formerly 30-mile) radius of an Air Force installation; a comprehensive
explanation of the importance of DDR as a key aspect of cadet life; confirmation that the Office of
Primary Responsibility (OPR) for CAP DDR is NHQ/CP; elimination of the financial burden, which
previously had to be absorbed by wings participating in DDR; and revision of duty titles for DDR
program managers. This regulation also announces the intent to rescind the Drug Demand Reduction
specialty
on 1 October 2013. Note: On 3 April 2014, paragraph 1-5b, was changed to include a
"grandfather clause" for those members enrolled in the DDR Specialty Track prior to 1 October 2013.
They may continue their progress in the DDR Specialty Track until 1 October 2015."

So clearly the ability to assign new DDROs should have been removed form eServices nearly two years ago.
(I need to go de-assign some people).

I'm not getting where the Drug Demand Reduction Officer at the squadron level is obsolete (in duty assignment, that is, not effective use per say).

CAPR 20-1 still includes the DDRO as of 02JAN13. The ICL dated 17NOV15 did not make any change to that. No subsequent ICL has come out since. In fact, CAPR 52-22, as you cited, even states that DDROs should enroll in the CP Specialty Track.

So I see the DDR Specialty Track being obsolete, not the DDRO position itself. It's still a Cadet Programs staff position.

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on September 01, 2017, 02:45:27 PM
I'm not getting where the Drug Demand Reduction Officer at the squadron level is obsolete (in duty assignment, that is, not effective use per say).

CAPR 20-1 still includes the DDRO as of 02JAN13. The ICL dated 17NOV15 did not make any change to that. No subsequent ICL has come out since. In fact, CAPR 52-22, as you cited, even states that DDROs should enroll in the CP Specialty Track.

So I see the DDR Specialty Track being obsolete, not the DDRO position itself. It's still a Cadet Programs staff position.

DDRO has no duties, no track, no training or method of progression, and likely only still exists because NHQ forgot to remove it, or
can't remove it because it would break people who will still use DDRO for their "one-click" through next year (or the purpose of back-dating
work already done but never recorded).

It's still in 20-1 because the changes were made effective April 2014, and 20-1 hasn't been updated since 2013.

The last remnant of the directorate and the program is the now (thanks to it being removed from QCUA), largely ignored DDRX,
which is simply an optional component of the Cadet Program, and should be facilitated by CPOs.

Further to this, the most recent version of AFI 10-2701 calls no longer requires CAP provide support to Air Force installations (which, in theory, was one of the primary roles, and the only channel through which any funding could come back to CAP).

Lastly, while 20-1 does show DDRO as "special staff" for local units, the only duties indicated are almost exclusively wing-level specific (unless delegated), and / or wholly obsoleted.

Manages and directs drug demand reduction activities. They shall:
Develop annual drug demand reduction (DDR) training plan.
Prepare and manage annual DDR financial plan.
Conduct annual DDR training at wing encampment(s). (still a "thing", but doesn't require a wing staffer to coordinate as it is built into the curriculum requirements).
Coordinate joint operations with Air Force base DDR Coordinators.
Coordinate joint operations with Air Force Reserve base DDR Coordinators.
Coordinate joint operations with National Guard DDR Administrator.
Submits end of year reports.(wouldn't surprise me if there's still a report to be done).

So yes, you can still appoint someone as DDRO, but why would you?  It's literally meaningless.

It's like being an Operations Officer in a unit that has no aircraft, a Deputy of Cadets in a Senior flight, or
Finance Manager in a unit with no funds.  The few duties available are incorporated into someone else's role,
and there's no PD or progression advantage to the member.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

To put icing on this, NHQ presented DDRO and DDR Wing of the Year awards at the conference.

It would be interesting to know what constitutes "excellence" in a program that essentially no longer exists

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

I attended the national conference and Mr. LaFond was asked about DDR during one of the sessions. I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially sold the current state of DDR as the DDR program remains without all the reporting requirements. NHQ still wants to see the DDR activities, red ribbon day, and so forth and it's still a duty position.

Given the lack of support from AF/NHQ, it seems reasonable the reporting aspect goes away.

Ned

Quote from: UWONGO2 on September 07, 2017, 03:27:34 PM
I attended the national conference and Mr. LaFond was asked about DDR during one of the sessions. I'm paraphrasing, but he essentially sold the current state of DDR as the DDR program remains without all the reporting requirements. NHQ still wants to see the DDR activities, red ribbon day, and so forth and it's still a duty position.

Given the lack of support from AF/NHQ, it seems reasonable the reporting aspect goes away.

This.  Since we no longer have to account for appropriated funds dedicated exclusively to DDR, we will be eliminating most of the reporting requirements.  Eliminating reports is normally perceived by the members as a Good Thing.  (Although it appears that there may still be some reporting required to help the wing and region level folks monitor the implementation of the program in the line units.  Still, the reports will be "mostly gone.")

And yes, DDR remains a vital and essential part of our Cadet Program.  It carries unique "crossover" message, with application to both Physical Fitness (being Fit to Fly, the impact on career options), and Character.

We value and cherish our existing and future DDR officers.  We are revising the specialty track requirements and pamphlet, as well as the 20-1 descriptions. 

We in Cadet Programs welcome our Publications Reengineering Initiative, but it has made it difficult to get the revised pubs out in a timely manner.

Ned Lee
Col, CAP
National Cadet Programs Manager