Second post - grasp of senior training

Started by jabbr, August 18, 2017, 10:55:38 AM

jabbr

Hello again. I'm beginning to get a grasp on the cadets' training. However, senior training is still a little vague. Has anyone here done it? I've seen that there are different levels that must be done in sequence. However, still having trouble understanding what each level entails. One website was saying there are several Airforce classes one can take. I'm not sure if that is part of cap progression or can simply be done independently. Thank you

kwe1009

The easiest thing would be for you to talk with your unit Professional Development Officer.  In a perfect world they would have come to you shortly after you joined.  Just go and talk with them and they will guide you through the process.

jabbr

Thank you. I visited my first squadron this week and asked what jobs/needs they have.  PDO was one of them.  If I join, will probably ask to take that role since it's of interest.  The kids and I will check out one more CAP squadron next week before making a decision.

jabbr

jabbr

Wow, the CAP University page has a lot of info.  As a senior member, I'm not sure what the options are.  I'll start asking the local squadrons what they know.  Most of the adults I met were there to simply support their kids - not actually take a position/train.

Capt Thompson

Once you're in, you'll start with level one training, opsec, Cadet Protection, EO, etc. During that time, you will have a convo with your PDO or CC and discuss options for a specialty track, and they will steer you in the right direction from there.

Some Seniors are just there to support their kids, and some stay long after the kids move on, and continue to be very productive members of the Squadron. Both paths are fine, and either way, we're just glad you're here to support. There are many different aspects to the Civil Air Patrol, and there's something for everyone, so hopefully you decide to be more than just a parent that sits in the back, dig in, find something you enjoy, and have a great time serving your community, State and Nation for many years to come!
Capt Matt Thompson
Deputy Commander for Cadets, Historian, Public Affairs Officer

Mitchell - 31 OCT 98 (#44670) Earhart - 1 OCT 00 (#11401)

jabbr

Toad1168

Let me add this, you're going to get what you put into CAP.  Find your niche, take advantage of the training that's available, and determine your own path.  It's easy to get bogged down in the red tape and become frustrated.  Don't let too much get to you.  YOU can make a difference and a positive impact.  The rewards will come in the personal satisfaction of what you accomplish.
Toad

jabbr

Thank you

Sent from my Studio Max using Tapatalk

GaryVC

Look at CAPR 50-17, in particular the chart almost at the end. It summarizes the requirements. You can access it through this page:
https://www.capmembers.com/forms_publications__regulations/indexes-regulations-and-manuals-1700/

Shawn W.

When I turned over from Cadet to Senior, the first thing my Squadron CC did was to slot me into Professional Development. At the time, I wasn't sure that was for me, but over time I realized that putting me into that spot did two important things for me: 1. It gave me separation from Cadets which is important when making the transition from Cadet to Senior. 2. It immersed me into the Senior Member program and forced me to dig into the regs on a regular basis. So basically I got a crash course. I spent 10 years as the Squadron PDO. If you really want to learn about CAP, my personal opinion is to do some PDO work for a while. I know I definitely benefited from it.

Good luck!

Pylon

Reading this got me thinking: Maybe CAP legitimately needs a user-friendly SM PD flow chart of all the options at each level and what's required (or what is "choose your own adventure") and what's optional to get to the next level and/or grade.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

PHall

Quote from: Pylon on August 19, 2017, 01:17:56 PM
Reading this got me thinking: Maybe CAP legitimately needs a user-friendly SM PD flow chart of all the options at each level and what's required (or what is "choose your own adventure") and what's optional to get to the next level and/or grade.

You mean like a Super Chart for Seniors? >:D

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on August 19, 2017, 02:49:23 PM

Doesn't the chart in the reg do this?
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Quote from: THRAWN on August 19, 2017, 04:57:14 PM

You actually expect people to look in and read the reg? :o

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on August 19, 2017, 05:58:59 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on August 19, 2017, 04:57:14 PM

You actually expect people to look in and read the reg? :o

Yeah, guess you're right...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

coudano

Quote from: jabbr on August 18, 2017, 10:55:38 AM
Hello again. I'm beginning to get a grasp on the cadets' training. However, senior training is still a little vague. Has anyone here done it? I've seen that there are different levels that must be done in sequence. However, still having trouble understanding what each level entails. One website was saying there are several Airforce classes one can take. I'm not sure if that is part of cap progression or can simply be done independently. Thank you

So first things first...

Just to the CAP Orientation Course.  That's Level 1.
Once you've got that checked out, then take a look at the paths available at that point.

Toad1168

And I can't stress the importance enough of taking the Training Leaders of Cadets course (TLC Basic).  Even if you won't be focused on cadets, it gives a great basic overview of the cadet program and will help you understand them and interact effectively.
Toad

jabbr