Cadet technician communications badge

Started by Arc light, July 05, 2017, 10:09:11 PM

Arc light

When you complete the technician rating, does it show up in your 101 card or something. How will I know when I have been signed off on it? Thanks

Luis R. Ramos

You are mixing up two different issues.

The Technician Communications Badge is a senior member professional development award. The 101 card shows Emergency Services ratings. You can have both, just different requirements. Or you can have the Communications Badge without the 101. Or on the 101 qualify for Mission Radio Operator without the Communications Badge. I am not sure whether you need to be 18 years old to be Communications Unit Leader. I am too lazy now to open my 100 series publications. However you can find out by looking in the Emergency Services publication series, and in CAPR 100-1 and CAPR 100-3. And CAPP 214, the study guide to the PD communication awards.

When a cadet is awarded the CAP Communications Badge, he/she can wear until he becomes a senior. After that, to continue wearing it he/she has to complete the senior requirements.

The ES ratings shown on the 101 expire after three years unless renewed.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Arc light on July 05, 2017, 10:09:11 PM
When you complete the technician rating, does it show up in your 101 card or something. How will I know when I have been signed off on it? Thanks

Your CC, or the SME working with you on completing the CAPP 214 Technician checklist, will sign it and place a copy in your file.

It does not show up in eServices for cadets.

Just FYI - Specialty Tracks do not appear on 101 cards, for senior members they appear in the "Specialty Tracks" area of
the "Training" tab in the member's eservices Personnel File (Member Search).

"That Others May Zoom"

Arc light

Thank you, that clarifies the situation.

SarDragon

You need to be 18 to be a CUL, because of the IS 300 requirement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

McDaddy2003

Question:

Looking at the technician level requirements, it does not appear which requirements are senior only (other than level 1). I earned my comm badge as a cadet (1999, stone age, dial up interwebs) and remember taking the advanced ROA which was the technician level test seniors take. The CAPP214 does not specify, but are cadets exempt from SM Level 1 and NIMS courses 700/800?

Holding Pattern

Quote from: McDaddy2003 on October 25, 2017, 05:57:57 AM
Question:

Looking at the technician level requirements, it does not appear which requirements are senior only (other than level 1). I earned my comm badge as a cadet (1999, stone age, dial up interwebs) and remember taking the advanced ROA which was the technician level test seniors take. The CAPP214 does not specify, but are cadets exempt from SM Level 1 and NIMS courses 700/800?

700/800 have no age restriction that cadets need to worry about.

McDaddy2003

So what would be the only requirement waived?

SarDragon

The only thing I see that cannot be completed by a cadet is the Level I requirement. The rating is a lot harder than it used to be, except for the net check-in requirement, which has been eliminated.

Award of cadet ratings may be documented with a CAPF 2A, vice eServices entry.

Quote from: CAPR 100-14.7. Cadet Eligibility for Communicator Badge/Patch. Cadets are encouraged to pursue each level of the communicator badges. To do so, cadets must meet all the training requirements listed in the appropriate section of CAPP 214 with the exception of the portions specifically intended for the senior member training program. If a cadet authorized to wear a communications badge or patch subsequently transfers to Senior Member status, badges/patches earned as a cadet may continue to be worn for up to 4 years; however, remaining requirements of CAPP 214 must be completed at each level in order to qualify as holding the actual Technician, Senior, or Master levels of the specialty track. See CAPP 214 for the approval process for cadets.

Quote from: CAPR 100-1Training and Performance Requirements
To complete the Technician rating in the Communications Officer specialty track, the
member must:
• Complete the Technician Level Communications Officer test.
• Complete Level I, Senior Member Professional Development Program.
• Complete Introductory Communications User Training (ICUT)
• Understand application requirements and procedures for individual radio
stations.
• Radio station operation:
(1) Be able to reference pertinent CAP regulations.
(2) Be able to reference geographic and altitude restrictions applicable to CAP.
(3) Ensure that CAP radio stations logs will comply with CAPR 100-1 Paragraph
(4) Understand the types of nets and net operations (CAPR 100-3 Paragraph
1.9)
(5) Understand international urgency signals and procedures for handling
distress communications from other stations. (CAPR 100-3 Paragraph
1.10)
(6) Understand communications procedures to include radio telephone
procedures, prohibited operating practices, precedence designators, net
procedures, break-in procedures, and message types and handling to include
transmitting, receiving and forwarding of messages. (CAPR 100-3 Chapter
2.)
• Be familiar with CAPR 100-1, CAPR 100-3, CAPR 20-1, CAPR 60-1, CAPR 60-3,
and CAPR 174-1, wing, region and national communications plans; and any
applicable Interim Change Letters.
• Communications Safety:
(1) All stations should be properly grounded to avoid electrical shock.
(2) Insure compliance with CAPR 100-1, Paragraph 7-1 and 7-2
• Be familiar with ORMS (Log in at
https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.eServices.Web/Default.aspx).

Service Requirements
Complete National Incident Management System (NIMS) courses IS 100, 200, 700, and
Attend at a minimum of one group, wing or region sanctioned communications meeting,
conducted IAW CAPR 100-1.
• Participate in one mission in any communications capacity or participate in one
communication exercise sanctioned by the Wing Director of Communications.
• Perform assigned duties as unit Communications Officer or Assistant for at least 6
months.

Quote from: CAPP 214Technician Level Training Checklist
To complete the Technician level of this specialty track, the member must:

Pass the Technician level Communications Officer test.
Complete ICUT
Demonstrate radiotelephone procedures, message format, distress and emergency communications, and communications safety.
Demonstrate knowledge of radio station types, call signs, functional designators, and authorization procedures to OJT Supervisor
Be familiar with the publications listed on page 6
Attend a minimum of one group, wing or region sanctioned communications meeting, Conducted IAW CAPR 100-1.
Participate in one mission (8 hours minimum) in any communications capacity or participate in one communication exercise sanctioned by the Wing Director of Communications.
Complete NIMS courses IS 100, 200, 700, and 800.
Serve with 6 months experience as a unit/assistant unit communications officer.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

w7sar

FYI
A cadet can take IC300 there is no age requirement.  Some IC300 courses can be attended by younger than 18-year-olds ... it depends on the course sponsor and instructor.  We do have cadets younger than 18 who are CULs.

Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Holding Pattern

Quote from: w7sar on October 25, 2017, 08:24:59 PM
FYI
A cadet can take IC300 there is no age requirement.  Some IC300 courses can be attended by younger than 18-year-olds ... it depends on the course sponsor and instructor.  We do have cadets younger than 18 who are CULs.
I seem to recall it had an age restriction to issue certificates, but I can't seem to find that online anywhere anymore except on state-specific variants.

Luis R. Ramos

I have never seen an age restriction from CAP NHQ nor in any CAP pub. The age restriction comes from the states who set that restriction based on who they will insure to work in an emergency.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer