Main Menu

Deer Sled as Litter?

Started by waukwiz, March 22, 2017, 02:59:27 PM

waukwiz

In the interest of keeping enough money in my squadron's budget for UAV racing, I'm looking at ways to acquire SAR team equipment as inexpensive as possible while still being adequate for service. I came across the idea somewhere of using a deer sled as a folding litter instead of a SKED, cutting the price down by nearly 95%.

Does anyone have any experience with using a deer sled such as the one linked as a rescue litter?

Does it hold up as good as a SKED? Good enough?

Would it be practical to modify one for easier carry, instead of dragging as intended, to keep with the team gear?

The one I'm looking at https://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Deer-Sleighr-Game-Sled/dp/B001CJI7XA
Feel free to add any other suggestions.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Spaceman3750

I would go with something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004ESX556/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 before that. I own one and it seems fine for what it is.

Personally if I ever have to carry someone out of the woods I'm going to try to get the EMTs to bring out their toys first anyways (backboard, stokes litter, etc) and let them run the show.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 22, 2017, 03:01:47 PM
Personally if I ever have to carry someone out of the woods I'm going to try to get the EMTs to bring out their toys first anyways (backboard, stokes litter, etc) and let them run the show.

+1 - the odds of a CAP team ever carrying an actual victim from a crash scene are so remote as to be statistically zero, and certainly a $700 system
designed for airlift is wholly inappropriate for a CAP squadron to be purchasing with corporate money.

If it's deemed necessary to "buy" something, the link Spaceman provide is more then enough, otherwise an improvised litter, in the rare instance it's needed,
would be fine.

A deer sled is for dragging something dead out of the woods, not to remove someone with serious injuries enough injuries that they are no ambulatory.

"That Others May Zoom"

waukwiz

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2017, 03:39:39 PM
statistically zero,
Saw that coming.

A deer sled is for dragging something dead out of the woods, not to remove someone with serious injuries enough injuries that they are no ambulatory.
My question is whether or not there are significant differences between it and a SKED type folding stretcher that affect its usefulness as a rescue litter. Simply being designed for a different purpose doesn't necessarily mean it won't work fine as one. Hair ties weren't designed to stop my flashlight from flopping around, crayons weren't designed as emergency candles, socks weren't designed for soaking to cool water bottles, but they get the job done. Are there better options available? Certainly. However, there's no way I'm going to dump that much of my own or or my unit's bank when there's another way that's so much cheaper and works well enough.

...certainly a $700 system designed for airlift is wholly inappropriate for a CAP squadron to be purchasing with corporate money.

100% agree. That's the point of this post.
Cadet Cullen Mayes

waukwiz

I do agree completely. I'd much rather have the folks who do this as their day job be handling any medical care, both for the sake of the patient and the liability to the operators and the organization. However, I'd like to have the bare capability to safely and easily move a non-ambulatory casualty for if the need arises. Be it an urgent medical emergency where the PT needs to be moved to the heli site or the road ASAP for ease of access to EMS, or a cadet passes out in the sun and needs to be moved out of the open field into the cool van.
Yeah, I know it won't happen, but it might. $20-30 isn't much price to have the capability.

As for the litter you suggested, I do like it and may go for that one, but at first glance I don't like that it's made of fabric. I'd prefer the plastic for ease of cleaning, durability, etc.
Have you had much experience actually using it?
Cadet Cullen Mayes

Spaceman3750

Quote from: waukwiz on March 22, 2017, 04:43:38 PM
I do agree completely. I'd much rather have the folks who do this as their day job be handling any medical care, both for the sake of the patient and the liability to the operators and the organization. However, I'd like to have the bare capability to safely and easily move a non-ambulatory casualty for if the need arises. Be it an urgent medical emergency where the PT needs to be moved to the heli site or the road ASAP for ease of access to EMS, or a cadet passes out in the sun and needs to be moved out of the open field into the cool van.
Yeah, I know it won't happen, but it might. $20-30 isn't much price to have the capability.

As for the litter you suggested, I do like it and may go for that one, but at first glance I don't like that it's made of fabric. I'd prefer the plastic for ease of cleaning, durability, etc.

We've done training with it and it works fine. As for being fabric, if it gets contaminated, spend $15 on a new one.

If you're going to be at GTA this weekend I'll show it off in person.

abdsp51

Have you talked to your ESO, SO and finally your CC about this?

Also are you willing to fully accept the liability and reprucussions of using something for other than its intended purpose? 

waukwiz

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 22, 2017, 05:06:43 PM
If you're going to be at GTA this weekend I'll show it off in person.
Good deal.

After looking at the reviews on Amazon, I'm a little concerned at the quality control. The experience with yours may be different than that of one I'd buy. If I did end up buying one I'd be sure to test it myself before I try to use it with anyone else.

Cadet Cullen Mayes

Eclipse

Quote from: waukwiz on March 22, 2017, 04:32:24 PM
My question is whether or not there are significant differences between it and a SKED type folding stretcher that affect its usefulness as a rescue litter. Simply being designed for a different purpose doesn't necessarily mean it won't work fine as one. Hair ties weren't designed to stop my flashlight from flopping around, crayons weren't designed as emergency candles, socks weren't designed for soaking to cool water bottles, but they get the job done. Are there better options available? Certainly.

Apples and hand-grenades, however yes, there are >significant< "differences" between a piece of plastic designed to drag a dead animal
on the ground and a purpose built rescue device intended to be able to airlift a living being who is most likely seriously injured.

Quote from: waukwiz on March 22, 2017, 04:32:24 PM
However, there's no way I'm going to dump that much of my own or or my unit's bank when there's another way that's so much cheaper and works well enough.

I would hazard it's pretty much a given that your squadron won't even consider spending $700 on a litter, regardless of,
but especially in light of, the fact that there are purpose-built devices, assuming you actually need this at all, under $20.

"That Others May Zoom"

Chappie

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 22, 2017, 05:10:49 PM

Also are you willing to fully accept the liability and reprucussions of using something for other than its intended purpose?

^^^ Herein lies wisdom
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

waukwiz

Thank you for pointing that out, that is a very good point, I hadn't thought of it from that angle. There is much at stake in this case that I or my unit would be on the hook for if things don't go just right.

No, I have not discussed this with anyone else yet. Just exploring options.
Cadet Cullen Mayes

abdsp51

Quote from: waukwiz on March 22, 2017, 05:21:21 PM

Thank you for pointing that out, that is a very good point, I hadn't thought of it from that angle. There is much at stake in this case that I or my unit would be on the hook for if things don't go just right.

Before you proceed further you need to talk to leadership...

waukwiz

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 22, 2017, 05:28:52 PM

Absolutely, would never purchase team gear without the input/approval of those I'm accountable to. I'm only trying to get info about options so I come to the table with more than "Hey, can we buy a litter?"
Cadet Cullen Mayes

THRAWN

This is a big issue. The liability is enormous. If it is used, and the subject dies or is further injured, be prepared to be sued and, depending on the state, lose. This isn't a standard piece of gear, there is no training on its use, and you're opening yourself up to legal action. Leave evac to the pros.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

abdsp51

Quote from: waukwiz on March 22, 2017, 05:34:00 PM

Absolutely, would never purchase team gear without the input/approval of those I'm accountable to. I'm only trying to get info about options so I come to the table with more than "Hey, can we buy a litter?"

Stop researching and get buy in.  Your leadership may not want to assume the liability for this. 

We as CAP are not in the business of extracting and moving victims.  Any victim who requires the use of a litter is beyond thale care level of basic first aid. 

Talk to your leadership first before proceeding further. 

Spaceman3750

Quote from: abdsp51 on March 22, 2017, 06:23:13 PM

Stop researching and get buy in.  Your leadership may not want to assume the liability for this. 

We as CAP are not in the business of extracting and moving victims.  Any victim who requires the use of a litter is beyond thale care level of basic first aid. 

You say that, yet participate in a litter carry is a required task for GTM3. I'm not saying we should be doing this either, but at some level CAP has decided it is in the people moving business.

abdsp51

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on March 22, 2017, 06:53:17 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on March 22, 2017, 06:23:13 PM

You say that, yet participate in a litter carry is a required task for GTM3. I'm not saying we should be doing this either, but at some level CAP has decided it is in the people moving business.

It can be a task, is the org going to front the cost in the event of a civil suit? 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2017, 07:25:39 PM
Yes, actually.

As long as it's being done according to the training and with the equipment described. Anything else would be highly questionable.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

abdsp51

Quote from: THRAWN on March 22, 2017, 08:13:59 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 22, 2017, 07:25:39 PM
Yes, actually.

As long as it's being done according to the training and with the equipment described. Anything else would be highly questionable.

Now that is covered.  Buy in from leadership is key as is using the right equipment for the job.