Encampment as a chief?

Started by bh125, January 13, 2017, 02:28:00 PM

bh125

So I'm a master sergeant and currently the first sergeant at my squadron, and I am going to basic encampment this year. I am very proficient in drill and the like, so how do I try to make the most out of encampment when I am capable of leading it? I'm not meaning to sound snotty at all, but I don't want to be bored. I want to make the most out of my experience there even as a SMsgt or a chief. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeders

As someone who did his encampment as a chief, I know exactly where you're coming from. Back when I was a cadet, they still made us remove all rank insignia as basics, so the only people who knew I was a chief were the ones who either knew me already or had asked me.

However, I was still able to provide leadership to my fellow cadets from within the flight because of my greater experience. So I would suggest to you that the best way to not be bored is to be an example to your fellow students. If someone is having a hard time understanding a basic drill movement, show them how to do it. If someone has a messed up uniform, help them fix it. But most importantly, keep a positive attitude that says to everyone that you are there to learn, not teach.

Good luck.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

bh125

Thanks, that really helped!

Spam

Small points of advice, BH125:

The way the program officially refers to people attending encampment for the first time is not "basics" but as "trainees" or "students", since in fact every first time attendee has to have at least his first stripe to attend, right?

This may seem like a small thing to quibble over but if you think about it, the mind set it pushes is significant: trainees are there to learn together  from a new, common experience, and are not to be treated like some bad Hollywood version of basic military training (i.e. you're not "maggots" to be whipped into shape). The presumption is that you've all met AT LEAST the Curry award standard, and in some outstanding Trainees cases, far more.

So I'd advise the mindset then that you can demonstrate that you're not a "basic", "doolie", or "scum suckin' noob", but rather a team player Trainee, poised to demonstrate your added proficiency by working to earn Honor Graduate. Don't back talk your appointed cadre, lead humbly at your level, but lead by example to "cooperate to graduate".  Were I your Tac or Commandant, I'd be keeping an eye on you senior trainees as potential cadre for the future, so that's something to live up to.

Have a great time!

Respectfully Submitted (R/s)
Spam

DakRadz

I was a 17 yo C/CMSgt at my first encampment, and jeders has most everything you need to know in his post.

Look out for the younger cadets, help them appropriately, and make sure you give the flight sergeant the respect of the position, even if you have a higher or equal grade (which will not be relevant at the time).

Storm Chaser

Quote from: bh125 on January 13, 2017, 02:28:00 PM
I am very proficient in drill and the like, so how do I try to make the most out of encampment when I am capable of leading it?

You may be capable of leading a flight or even a formation, but how can you be capable of leading encampment if you've never attended?

I want to make the most out of my experience there even as a SMsgt or a chief. Thank you!

That's understandable. Your experience is going to be different from that of a more junior cadet. But there will be lots of things for you to learn and lots of things for you to experience. You just have to be open to it. Help your fellow cadets as much as you can, but remember your place. You'll a trainee just as they are and need to work together as a team. Good luck!

foo

So I'm a master sergeant and currently the first sergeant at my squadron, and I am going to basic encampment this year. I am very proficient in drill and the like, so how do I try to make the most out of encampment when I am capable of leading it? I'm not meaning to sound snotty at all, but I don't want to be bored. I want to make the most out of my experience there even as a SMsgt or a chief. Thank you!

Cadet: Since you've never attended, it remains to be seen how well you can lead at Encampment. You might be surprised once you break out of the squadron bubble.

Be humble. Keep an open mind. You just might learn something.

DakRadz

Okay, folks. Something to consider.

In a world of "doolies" "basics" and other sundry terms, where encampment can teach cadets bad habits as "fact" or even "regulation"- that reputation often translates into it being basic training. As in, drill this, pin that, iron like this, etc. This may not be right, or even the reality of your Wing's encampment. But that is how many cadets view it prior to attending.

So, after over a year in the cadet program and being on the way to a C/CMSgt as a flight sergeant locally, it's easy to understand why one might think they were capable of doing what has a (false) reputation of the exact same job at encampment- teach them to drill, take them to classes...

I suppose I gave the cadet slack since they are asking how to frame their perspective. A few of the answers seem to be directed as if the cadet had a bad attitude.

Eclipse

A a Chief in ranks, you are a student like all the other cadets, bear that in mind.

You are there to learn - the scope, scale, and priorities, not to mention support structure will be unlike what you are used to
at your squadron, regardless of the size of your home unit.

As said, be open to the experience as a whole, take in the things which are new, be patient with the things
you've already mastered, and help when asked, but don't attempt to usurp the Flight Sgt or Flight CC regardless
of their grade or age, both are still ahead of you at least in regards to this particular experience.

Your experience will be similar in nature, though compressed like everything in CAP, to a successful CAP cadet
entering BMT - the basics of courtesies, drill, and uniforms won't be your first pass, some things will be quicker for
you then others, but you'll also likely find that some of the things you thought you "knew", you really didn't,
or were more complex in a large environment then at your home squadron.

There's also the non-trivial fact that leading a group of people you know personally and are comfortable with
isn't the same as leading and following a group of mostly strangers who are also learning themselves (i.e. everyone there
including the seniors).

Cats may be cats, but herding 10-20 isn't the same as herding 100-150, and the ramifications of
small "issues" tend to cause exponential problems downstream.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory

Remember that pendulum mid-week when you are wondering why "...a few cadets who are still struggling with marching...",
or a ..."flight that is always a few minutes late..." is such a big deal.

"That Others May Zoom"

bh125

Quote from: Eclipse on January 13, 2017, 06:53:05 PM

Cats may be cat, but herding 10-20 isn't the same as herding 100-150, and the ramifications of
small "issues" tend to cause exponential problems downstream.

Remember that pendulum mid-week when you are wondering why "...a few cadets who are still struggling with marching...",
or a ..."flight that is always a few minutes late..." is such a big deal.

I will keep that in mind thank you! And thank you all who replied!

KarolOpelski

Encampment is really about learning to be a good follower and studying the beginnings of leadership. Spoiler alert: encampment is really a situation for you to take charge (where appropriate). Your flight staff create an environment, but it takes leadership from within the flight to get the mission done.

This is where Chiefs come in. They can provide this leadership.

If you think about it: going to encampment as a Chief is the only correct option. The alternative is to not go to encampment, and that would prevent progression in the cadet program. No, I wouldn't recommend waiting until Chief, but you have no other option at this point.

bh125

Thanks!