Cadets under 18 wearing aircrew wings

Started by xray328, December 26, 2016, 09:38:11 PM

Fubar

Quote from: xray328 on December 29, 2016, 10:50:38 PM
And just so we're all clear, under 18 cadets can't fly on Corporate Missions right?  There's no manipulation of the rules that could maybe let this happen?

They can't serve in any mission crew capacity (MS/MO), but if the C mission is simply for personnel relocation or something along those lines, I don't see why they can't serve as ballast. Heck, I'd like to see on A missions if there is space (or weight) available for a cadet to tag along for the experience, but I'm not sure that's allowed.

Storm Chaser

All aircrew SQTRs in Ops Quals (MS, AP, MO, TMP, MP, etc.) require members to be 18 or older. Unfortunately, the GIIEP SQTR is not available publicly, so I don't know what the requirements are.

Neither CAPR 60-1 nor CAPR  60-3 are specific about whether cadets under 18 can fly on anything other than Orientation Flights, transport to and from location, or flight instruction. CAPR 60-3, Para. 1-10e, does state, "Additional guidance for employing cadets on missions can be found on the NHQ CAP/DOS website." The CAP/DOS website states the following:

Only cadets 18 years of age and older, who hold a valid CAPF 101, Specialty Qualification Card are authorized to fly on aircraft involved in the performance of emergency services operations. Any cadet may be flown directly to and from a mission base when needed to perform mission duties, provided the pilot-in-command is at least a qualified mission transport pilot.

If cadets under 18 are indeed doing ES flight training on C missions, I suspect someone has decided to interpret this guidance in a more liberal fashion. Personally, I prefer to interpret it in a more conservative way, which is what I normally do when guidance seems lacking or in a gray area. Of course, it's probably best to seek clarification from NESA or the CAP/DO.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on December 29, 2016, 11:04:55 PM
Quote from: xray328 on December 29, 2016, 10:50:38 PM
And just so we're all clear, under 18 cadets can't fly on Corporate Missions right?  There's no manipulation of the rules that could maybe let this happen?

They can't serve in any mission crew capacity (MS/MO), but if the C mission is simply for personnel relocation or something along those lines, I don't see why they can't serve as ballast. Heck, I'd like to see on A missions if there is space (or weight) available for a cadet to tag along for the experience, but I'm not sure that's allowed.

Being "ballast" isn't being part of the crew, and there are special crew requirements any time you transport cadets for any reason.

One of the responsibilities of an FRO is making sure that the crew is properly qualified for any given sortie, and this would be a red flag
when going into the release system (either the cadet not being on the manifest, not being listed as crew, or not having the proper quals).

I don't see any way a cadet under 18 can be released as part of "crew" - the mission type A,B,or C is an administrative matter
related to funding and insurance coverage - the rules about who can fly and when do not change between symbols.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

So why is the GIIEP SQTR not available?  It's not like it Classified or something.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 30, 2016, 02:02:19 AM
So why is the GIIEP SQTR not available?  It's not like it Classified or something.

Based on the most recent training slides, it doesn't appear to actually exist in a formal way.

"That Others May Zoom"

waukwiz

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2016, 02:40:35 AM
Quote from: PHall on December 30, 2016, 02:02:19 AM

Based on the most recent training slides, it doesn't appear to actually exist in a formal way.
Here's the CAPF101 of the cadet I mentioned earlier. It certainly does exist.

The only potential reason I can imagine as to why the SQTR is secret is potential weak points it would show to those wishing to eavesdrop on the system (maybe???)

Cadet Cullen Mayes
GLR-WI-048
"Flight Sergeant, why are we standing here in the mud?"

Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

xray328

I think the issue is whether or not flying is required to achieve the rating, and if so how cadets under 18 are achieving it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: waukwiz on December 30, 2016, 03:12:55 AM

We know the rating exists, it's the SQTR we're discussing - the infinity symbol is also a red flag as all "real"
ES quals expire in 3 years without recurrent training, which is also not currently possible sans an approved SQTR with
recurrent tasks.

There's supposed to be Commander approval for all ratings as well, FAM / Prep, Pre-req, and Final, however
NESA staff have rights which trump local CCs.

The briefing slides on the national website indicate that the SQTR and 3-year recurrency are still in draft, that
was a year ago, which by CAP standards = "new".

The only potential reason I can imagine as to why the SQTR is secret is potential weak points it would show to those wishing to eavesdrop on the system (maybe???)

We're using "secret" in a facetious manner - it simple isn't final / approved, so a few people have the ability to manually approve members.
This is much the same as when AP was a thing but had no SQTR.  This is 10+ year old technology which is hardly confidential.

The most likely scenario is that the draft SQTR simply forgot to include "minimum 18 Years old" and / or "Mission Scanner" as pre-req.
There's no reason cadets couldn't be ground station qualified in this, but not air crew by the current standards.

If any cadets did, in fact, fly a mission under 18, that is not likely to happen again after this public conversation.

[fixed quotes]

"That Others May Zoom"

waukwiz

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2016, 03:32:31 AM

/quote]

We know the rating exisits, it's the SQTR we're discussing - also, the infinity symbol is also a red flag as all real
ES quals expire in 3 years without recurrent training, which is also not currently possible.

The briefing slides on the national website indicate that the SQTR and 3-year recurrency are still in draft, that
was a year ago, which by CAP standards = "new".

We're using "secret in a facetious manner - it simple isn't final / approved, so a few people have the ability to manually approve members.
This is much the same as when AP was a thing but had no SQTR.
I get that it's being said facetiously, just trying to think outside the box.

But I guess when you frame it that way, I could understand it being something without a check off list of tasks to complete.

I had only contemplated that it DID exist, just was not public for some strange, above-my-pay-grade reason.
Cadet Cullen Mayes
Waukesha Composite Squadron
"Ok, how about instead of doing that, let's not do that. Ok?"
GTM1 • MO • MRO • MSA • ♦UDF

Eclipse

CAP received it's first 5 GIIEP systems in Jan 2011, and had been using it on "please can we borrow it basis" for a year or two before that.

The scuttle at the time, actually, was that the Guard was moving on to New! Exciting!, and CAP was the beneficiary of their no longer needing it.

From my low vantage point and conversations with several of the players, it appears that CAP did such a good job using what it was given that
it re-invigoratated the program and technology itself.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

So, if cadets are being awarded the GIIEP rating and GIIEP operators are authorized the aircrew wings, doesn't that mean that cadets are authorized to wear them? The 39-1 specifically says cadets and seniors are authorized and does not differentiate between cadets over or under 18, nor is there an under/over 18 GIIEP rating.

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on December 30, 2016, 04:25:45 AM
So, if cadets are being awarded the GIIEP rating and GIIEP operators are authorized the aircrew wings, doesn't that mean that cadets are authorized to wear them? The 39-1 specifically says cadets and seniors are authorized and does not differentiate between cadets over or under 18, nor is there an under/over 18 GIIEP rating.

I'd say more detail from Lt Col Templeton is needed as to how, exactly, these cadets earned the GIIEP rating and
whether there is a differentiation between a ground operator and air crew member (beyond what the regs say which make no distinction).

I would think the original intent and assumption would be that GIIEP rated members would be aircrew and aircrew have to be 18.

I ran this by CAP-USAF and they don't know how a cadet under 18 could fly as actual aircrew, either, since there's no allowance for that
in the regs that actually allow cadets to fly and all mentions assume over 18.

My guess is that this was "one of those things" and won't happen again, assuming it did, and if ground operators are going to get wings,
that needs to be added to the regs.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

CAPM 39-1 does not state who qualifies to wear what rating, only where the wing or insignia is worn. The regulation that authorizes aeronautical ratings is CAPR 35-6. I quote:

CAP Aircrew  Rating:

Be qualified as a CAP Mission Scanner (MS), Aerial Digital Imaging System Operator (ADIS), Airborne Photographer (AP), ARCHER Operator (ARCHOPR), ARCHER Trac Technician (ARCHTRK), Geospatial Information Interoperability Exploitation Portable Operator (GIIEP), Surrogate Unmanned Aerial System Green Flag Sensor Operator (GFSO), or Highbird Radio Operator (HRO). 

Others will disagree with me, but if you read any other aero ratings in the regulation quoted, it specifies flying times or prerequirements that require the person be above 18. It may have been a typo not to include "above 18 years," or it may have been because it is being developed. I would take advantage of this omission and let those cadets under 18 years apply for it. Since this award has to be approved by those above the squadron anyway, I would justify it by stating "It appears the intent was for the basic badge to be awarded to any member qualifying as GIIEP regardless of age since the Senior and Master do state specific age while the Basic does not require such." Or similar wording but better composed. And let those above me scratch their heads.

Although some may argue "It was the intent that for any such award the member has to be over 18 years and this was an omission" based on the prerequisites for the other aero awards. Still, I would let them apply and have those above me sort it out.
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

xray328

Agreed.  Reminds me of the ABU debacle, the regs need to catch up.

Might be a stretch but AF UAV operators are ground based and wear wings, maybe we need a new set of wings for ground based operators.  Are the CAP drone guys wearing them?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Yeah, did you see the Drone (UAV) class at the Conference? They taught a handful of guys to fly them/it at a special session at NESA last year.

"CAP UAV Program – Emerging Technology
Presenter: Captain Gary Brown

Synopsis: Come see the new large CAP Drone/UAV, meet the Illinois Wing UAV team and learn all about how the CAP NHQ UAV Program is dramatically augmenting and enhancing our flight operations for Emergency Services. In this session, you'll learn the objectives of the new program, learn how to plan a photography mission, actually watch the drone fly the sortie (weather permitting), process the photos and see the stunning orthomosaic images that can be generated."

Eclipse

Well, the "wing Team" is people from one unit - ahead of the curve, which is great, but not much fire there (yet).

If CAP doesn't get this lit, it'll miss out on a train that's already well down the track as it is - maybe they will issue
wings to those operators.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on December 30, 2016, 05:15:20 AM
Well, the "wing Team" is people from one unit - ahead of the curve, which is great, but not much fire there (yet).

If CAP doesn't get this lit, it'll miss out on a train that's already well down the track as it is - maybe they will issue

NESA is having both a basic and advanced UAV school this year

xray328

Quote from: Alaric on December 30, 2016, 01:43:44 PM

Really? Well that's the cats meow, where does one sign up?

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on December 30, 2016, 01:56:18 PM
Quote from: Alaric on December 30, 2016, 01:43:44 PM

NESA

https://www.capnhq.gov/CAP.Events_NESA.Web/Default.aspx

Really? Well that's the cats meow, where does one sign up?