CAP at AF exchanges

Started by SarDragon, May 29, 2007, 05:49:35 AM

SarDragon

I opened this to relieve the drift on the leadership thread.

I do have a bit of confusion here. What is the MCSS referenced in some of those posts. IIRC, the AF uniform stores come under AAFES (Army and Air Force Exchange Service) and come under the provisions of CAPR 147-1, and AR 60–20/AFR 147-14. The relevant text of the former is almost an exact quote of the latter.

Additionally, from CAPR 147-1: This regulation states the Army and Air Force Exchange privileges authorized Civil Air Patrol senior and cadet members by joint Air Force Regulation 147-14 and Army Regulation 60-20. These two regulations will be, referred to whenever it is necessary to quote the source of authority for exchange privileges since this CAP regulation is for information purposes only with regard to these privileges.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

MCSS = Military Clothing Sales Store. The part of AAFES tht sells the uniforms and accessories.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

One issue addressed on the board is non-uniform purchases.  This is a big deal to some folks.  Personally, I'd just like to have the stuff that I need for AF missions.  Maybe limited purchase of other stuff.  To many, this is a CAP/Air Force separation issue.  Understandably so.

Another thing is MCSS and inconsistent behavior by the AAFES staff.  I have sometimes got "Civil...what?" or similar responses.  I have found that if I carry stuff to cite, they won't have a problem.  If I don't, then they will.  A Murphy's Law of CAP.

shorning

Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 06:27:09 AM
One issue addressed on the board is non-uniform purchases.  This is a big deal to some folks.  Personally, I'd just like to have the stuff that I need for AF missions.  Maybe limited purchase of other stuff.  To many, this is a CAP/Air Force separation issue.  Understandably so.

Meh...I just buy what I want. 

;)

SJFedor

Wearing a uniform of sorts usually helps your case a little. And always have the reg #'s in your head, just in case.

I've had AF officers come to my rescue a few times to defend that I really AM allowed to be buying what I am buying (thank God some of them know about us!)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

JC004

Quote from: shorning on May 29, 2007, 06:32:08 AM

;)

You...you...pineapple.

shorning

Quote from: JC004 on May 29, 2007, 06:47:04 AM
Quote from: shorning on May 29, 2007, 06:32:08 AM

;)

You...you...pineapple.

Don't be a

ELTHunter

The AAFES BX at the ANG base here is fairly small, but I've never had a problem.  Mostly I've just bought uniform items, but I have purchased a camelback and a few Air Force T-Shirts.

The fact that the was a CAP squadron based there for a while may have had something to do with it.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

I've never had a single problem at the NAVEx up at NSGL, nor w/ AAFES (either at Scott or online) however I am generally in uniform, always have my ID and am courteous. I don't think I've ever tried to buy anything not related to my duty up there.

Since we have a billet on base, our privileges are a bit looser (i.e. stationed there), as they would be during Spring Encampment, etc.

If you act professionally, you'll be treated that way.

This has always been a sore point with me, I'm giving my time and treasure BACK to the US.GOV, the least they could do is let me shop at the commissary, etc., but I understand, with the tax-free status, etc., I can almost guarantee you that our limited exchange privileges point directly back to one or more times some yahoo member bought 28 televisions and sold them on eBay or similar.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Buckley AFB MCSS in CO has been very helpful and polite. Never had a problem with them allowing me to purchase what I needed. Through the efforts of one of our members, who also happens to be an SP on base, the MCSS also carries some CAP stuff. They keep a few ribbons out and everything else is kept in back, you have to ask for it and they're happy to get it for you.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2007, 02:20:14 PM
I've never had a single problem at the NAVEx up at NSGL, nor w/ AAFES (either at Scott or online) however I am generally in uniform, always have my ID and am courteous. I don't think I've ever tried to buy anything not related to my duty up there.

Online?  Are you a dependant/military member?  If so, never mind, if not......how did you get online access to AAFES.COM
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

Sorry - "online" is probably a stretch - I meant via phone...

"That Others May Zoom"

mikeylikey

Quote from: Eclipse on May 29, 2007, 03:02:10 PM

Gotcha.....just curious if the started to allow CAP online.  WHICH THEY SHOULD.  It would not be hard to setup a systme that allows CAP members access only to the military clothing section online!
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

I love being an Auxie.  ;)
Mike Johnston

PHall

This has always been a sore point with me, I'm giving my time and treasure BACK to the US.GOV, the least they could do is let me shop at the commissary, etc., but I understand, with the tax-free status, etc., I can almost guarantee you that our limited exchange privileges point directly back to one or more times some yahoo member bought 28 televisions and sold them on eBay or similar.

You want to shop in the Commissary and have unlimited exchange privileges? Then join one of the armed services.

mikeylikey

Quote from: MIKE on May 29, 2007, 04:19:46 PM
I love being an Auxie.  ;)

Not so up on the CG AUX benefits.......are you allowed to purchase anything at the exchanges.  Are you allowed in Navy exchanges as well?  What other benefits do you have?  Can you be int he service and still be in tha AUX?  
What's up monkeys?

PHall

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 03:12:31 PM

Gotcha.....just curious if the started to allow CAP online.  WHICH THEY SHOULD.  It would not be hard to setup a systme that allows CAP members access only to the military clothing section online!

You have to be a military member or dependant to use AAFES.COM because the database they use to verify your eligibility to shop there is the DEERS database.
This is the same database they use to issue military and dependant ID cards.
It would take some major reworking of the system to link it with e-services. Not to mention who would pay for it.

mikeylikey

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 04:45:55 PM

You want to shop in the Commissary and have unlimited exchange privileges? Then join one of the armed services.

Agreed.....but the Commissary is starting to loose the competitive edge.  The prices for everyday items in the Commissary are almost the same price as at Walmart.  Cigarettes and chew are no longer the "great deal" they were 2 years ago either.  The PX is also starting to be less of a benefit as well.  In all honesty people who aren't "privileged" to shop in either are not missing much.  Now, don't get me started on the AAFES gas stations......or as I like to call them, "no savings stations".
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

Quote from: PHall on May 29, 2007, 04:52:34 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 29, 2007, 03:12:31 PM
Sorry - "on line" is probably a stretch - I meant via phone...

Gotcha.....just curious if the started to allow CAP on line.  WHICH THEY SHOULD.  It would not be hard to setup a system that allows CAP members access only to the military clothing section on line!

You have to be a military member or dependant to use AAFES.COM because the database they use to verify your eligibility to shop there is the DEERS database.
This is the same database they use to issue military and dependant ID cards.
It would take some major reworking of the system to link it with e-services. Not to mention who would pay for it.

Not necessarily, set it up so that the CAP member must call Dallas and fax AAFES the ID Card, just like now, and give them access only to the military clothing section.  A IT geek could probably type up the necessary code in under an hour!
What's up monkeys?