Main Menu

Change in terms?

Started by NCRblues, February 29, 2016, 06:55:21 PM

NCRblues

Trolling the book of faces this morning I discovered a post by the South Dakota Wing.

It stated that the NAT/PA had announced that the various membership categories will be changing.

It listed the "new 4" as

Cadet
Officer
Legislative
Associate

It goes on to state that "the term Senior Memebr has been dropped. Adult members of CAP are now identified as officer"

So, anyone know if this is real? I can't find anything on this in official lanes. Is SD pulling the wool over its FB followers?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

THRAWN

That works if all of the adult members are officers. Since they're not, this looks like the left and right hands operating independently.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

dwb

It was brought up in the CCC meeting. Not sure if it's final or proposed. Associate has subcategories for Patron/CSM/AEM. Legislative has subcategories for state and federal. Remember too that the "O" in NCO is Officer.

THRAWN

Quote from: dwb on February 29, 2016, 07:01:34 PM
It was brought up in the CCC meeting. Not sure if it's final or proposed. Associate has subcategories for Patron/CSM/AEM. Legislative has subcategories for state and federal. Remember too that the "O" in NCO is Officer.

And some are neither officers nor NCOs. I have known plenty of SMWOG and they liked it like that.

Could call them operational member or functional member or...and this is crazy....how about something along the lines of senior member?!!? Change for the sake of change....smh...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Had to check my calendar. Though it was 2006.

Гугл переводчик

Is the meeting held at South Dakota wing? It would make sense for them to post it then... but finding out through Facebook definitely makes it interesting.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

NIN

There will be some behind the scenes work, but the short version is that, among other things, the term "senior member" is one barrier to recruiting "younger" adults.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

JeffDG

Yes, there was a briefing from BGen Myrick on this.

IIRC, it is in final coordination of the relevant regulatory changes.  It was presented as a fait acompli, not as a proposal.

NCRblues

Quote from: JeffDG on February 29, 2016, 09:50:56 PM

IIRC, it is in final coordination of the relevant regulatory changes.  It was presented as a fait acompli, not as a proposal.

So, it's basically true.

Interesting to learn it off Facebook...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

JeffDG

Quote from: NCRblues on February 29, 2016, 10:39:26 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on February 29, 2016, 09:50:56 PM

So, it's basically true.

Interesting to learn it off Facebook...
Everything else was drowned out by 3 letters...

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: NIN on February 29, 2016, 09:33:00 PM

There will be some behind the scenes work, but the short version is that, among other things, the term "senior member" is one barrier to recruiting "younger" adults.

"Senior Member" is one of those things that only makes sense to insiders, after explanation. Then the insiders get so used to it that they can't picture it otherwise.

I don't know when or how the term was invented. It certainly wasn't 75 years ago, back when CAP had "Officer" and "Enlisted" personnel, then added "Cadets." If I had to guess, I'd guess that somebody in the 50's or early 60's probably asked "What's the opposite of 'cadet member'?" and got "Senior Member" in response, figuring that cadets were actually "Juniir Members."

I hope it is gone. If so, it carries my good riddance with it.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Fubar

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 01, 2016, 07:06:39 AM"Senior Member" is one of those things that only makes sense to insiders, after explanation. Then the insiders get so used to it that they can't picture it otherwise.

And yet, I don't think anybody has come up with a term that accurately describes all of the non-cadet membership categories we have. You think senior member is confusing to outsiders? Imagine calling CAP NCOs (both of them) and CAP Officers "officers" to someone with a military background. Get ready to start explaining again.

NIN

Quote from: Fubar on March 01, 2016, 07:36:39 AM
Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on March 01, 2016, 07:06:39 AM"Senior Member" is one of those things that only makes sense to insiders, after explanation. Then the insiders get so used to it that they can't picture it otherwise.

And yet, I don't think anybody has come up with a term that accurately describes all of the non-cadet membership categories we have. You think senior member is confusing to outsiders? Imagine calling CAP NCOs (both of them) and CAP Officers "officers" to someone with a military background. Get ready to start explaining again.

I've sort of taken to using the overarching term "adult members" when speaking "outside".

there's no super good silver bullet  answer.  I think you're likely to spend more time explaining "senior member" (with all the shortcomings that term has) than "officer"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: NIN on March 01, 2016, 12:56:36 PM
I've sort of taken to using the overarching term "adult members" when speaking "outside".

Same here. Or "adult volunteers" works too. Not every non-military type understands what the differences are between an NCO and an Officer either but they get "adult volunteer" and it makes the elevator speeches easier and with less eye glazing.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

NIN

Quote from: Paul Creed III on March 01, 2016, 01:23:51 PM

Same here. Or "adult volunteers" works too. Not every non-military type understands what the differences are between an NCO and an Officer either but they get "adult volunteer" and it makes the elevator speeches easier and with less eye glazing.

The subject of my next recruiting talk "How to avoid the eye glaze in the elevator pitch." :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

LSThiker

Adult member or adult leader. I use those interchangably when talking with non-members.

ALORD

Quote from: Fubar on March 01, 2016, 07:36:39 AM

Perhaps we could daringly call CAP NCO's ( Are these on the endangered species list?) "NCO's", and call Officers, well, "Officers"? Ironically identifying those persons who have actually served in the military as what some (Outsiders) may consider second class citizens! ( Can you imagine the joy of a Sergeant Major to learn that he just became a 2LT? Get ready to duck!) I suppose that still leaves the "Senior Member without grade" category unclear. Are these "Officers"?

Does taking away the term "Senior Member" mean we don't get the 10% discount at Denny's anymore?

vorteks

Quote from: ALORD on March 01, 2016, 02:41:20 PM
Perhaps we could daringly call CAP NCO's ( Are these on the endangered species list?) "NCO's", and call Officers, well, "Officers"? Ironically identifying those persons who have actually served in the military as what some (Outsiders) may consider second class citizens! ( Can you imagine the joy of a Sergeant Major to learn that he just became a 2LT? Get ready to duck!) I suppose that still leaves the "Senior Member without grade" category unclear. Are these "Officers"?

Since grade in CAP indicates progress in the PD program and carries with it no authority, what does it matter?  >:D

FW

I always enjoyed discussions on what we should be called.  To make it easy, I would just say we are all "members" with the subgroups cadet, patron, etc. added where needed.  I will guarantee recruitment will not significantly change with a "change in terms".  Recruitment (and retention) will change when we deal with the more important issues of improving on the areas that members willing to complete exit surveys complain about... Not having good things to do, having well trained leaders, feeling part of the unit...

THRAWN

Quote from: FW on March 01, 2016, 03:13:18 PM
I always enjoyed discussions on what we should be called.  To make it easy, I would just say we are all "members" with the subgroups cadet, patron, etc. added where needed.  I will guarantee recruitment will not significantly change with a "change in terms".  Recruitment (and retention) will change when we deal with the more important issues of improving on the areas that members willing to complete exit surveys complain about... Not having good things to do, having well trained leaders, feeling part of the unit...

nope...what we wear and what are called is so much more important than having quality things to do.... :angel:
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023