Something to start the week. Don't kill your Lts.

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, May 12, 2015, 02:45:34 PM

AirmanAwesome

"I just couldn't bring myself to tell the Captain what happened to the lieutenant," First Sergeant Bryan McGraw told reporters. "He didn't seem to understand why he wasn't moving anymore, so I just told him Higgs had to go to a B-billet in recruiting where he was going to be very happy. I even promised him we'd go to Fort Benning, or hell, even West Point, and pick him out a new lieutenant. But he just kept crying 'I don't want a new lieutenant, I want Higgs!'"

This is starting to sound like a sad scene in one of those movies... you know, where a dog or a cat dies, except in this case a LT.
C/Amn, Civil Air Patrol
SSCS
8)

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AirAux

At least in "Ol Yellar" we all cried, but then again, he was a hero, not a Lt.

Luis R. Ramos

I guess I am in a minority as I will say...

Hooorrrrraaaaaah for all 2nd Lts!!!!!!!   Or HUUuuuuuUUUAAAAAAAH  for all 2nd Lieutenants...

At least they serve as entertainment as everyone else seems to bash them...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on May 14, 2015, 06:47:43 PM

Even when I was an Army 2LT, I bashed myself and other 2LTs.  Heck I was even bashing 1LTs even when I was a 1LT.

MSG Mac

If only he had looked up and realized the convertible top was open.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

THRAWN

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 14, 2015, 07:43:02 PM
If only he had looked up and realized the convertible top was open.

That's just wrong....HY-larious....but wrong....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Hooorrrrraaaaaah for all 2nd Lts!!!!!!!   Or HUUuuuuuUUUAAAAAAAH  for all 2nd Lieutenants...

Let me guess, you've never served in the Armed Forces, have you... If you had you would have known to not take it seriously.

Even 1st Lieutenants bash 2nd Lieutenants. It's a very old and honored tradition.

Luis R. Ramos

Thus my last line, At least they serve as entertainment as everyone else seems to bash them.  I never served, but the way that is portrayed in letters from service members, in books about the service by ex-service members, and others. By the ex-service members I know.

In other words, If you had you would have known to not take it seriously... Even 1st Lieutenants bash 2nd Lieutenants. Is not a secret.
Squadron Safety Officer

CAPs1

Ramos is absolutely correct.

From my experience Senior NCOs babysits the 2d Lt at least till next promotion.
Sometimes longer...

Cliff_Chambliss

The Lieutenant's Intelligence Test:

1.  Resources Available:
     a.  1 Sergeant and 3 enlisted soldiers.
     b.  Antenna Mast 120' in length.
     c.  Hole 5' deep.
     d.  3 Pieces of rope, 1 @ 20', 1 @ 15' and 1@ 10'.

2.  Task:
     Get the Antenna mast erected in the hole using only the resources listed above.

How do you accomplish the mission?     (scroll down for answer)

Tell the Sergeant "Get that pole up" and then get out of the way.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

LSThiker

Quote from: CAPs1 on May 15, 2015, 12:02:30 PM
Ramos is absolutely correct.

From my experience Senior NCOs babysits the 2d Lt at least till next promotion.
Sometimes longer...

It depends on the job. 

In something like Infantry, that is more correct unless they were prior-NCO.  However, in the healthcare fields, that is not correct.  It is a mix as you will get some MEDPROs with experience and others without.  An experienced PA that enters the military as a 2LT will probably be mentoring the 68W more than the SNCO babysitting him.  The same is true for CLS officers or Public Health officers.  They may need help with the military specific items, but the specialty items not so much.  Now if you get those same officers that have no experience and joined just after graduating, then yes the SNCO will probably have to guide the officer more. 

The best officer experience I saw was with a medical doctor.  The man started as enlisted as a mechanic.  Made it to E-6 and switched to Warrant Officer.  Worked up to CW4 as a motor pool officer.  He then went to medical school and became a captain.  At this time, we were wearing BDUs with branch insignia.  Needless to say, it was funny to watch him when the motor pool NCO would try to throw him BS since he was "just a medical doctor".  That NCO looked like he just got ran over by a freight train.  Good ol Doc Olsen. 

Nuke52

You can lead a man to satire, but you can't make him think...

And to be absolutely technical--'cuz you seem like that kind of guy--it should be: "Hooorrrrraaaaaah for all 2ndLts!!!!!!!   Or HUUuuuuuUUUAAAAAAAH  for all 2LTs..."  (USMC = 2ndLt, i.e., no space between 2nd & Lt, while Army = 2LT.  For bonus points, AF = 2d Lt.)  You're welcome.

Oh, one last thing:  SFC Hulka says, "Lighten up, Francis..."
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Luis R. Ramos

Yeah, if I know who is that man you are speaking off, that man never wrote satire!

That man sometimes does not recognize satire either when it is tickling his nose!
Squadron Safety Officer