AFJROTC Uniform Funding

Started by Afbrat52, April 10, 2015, 01:00:57 AM

almostspaatz

Sorry I was just going off of what Offuteer said...

So does NHQ actually create the budget?
C/Maj Steve Garrett

PHall

Quote from: almostspaatz on April 11, 2015, 07:55:22 PM
Sorry I was just going off of what Offuteer said...

So does NHQ actually create the budget?

They're required by regulation to create one and to follow it.

lordmonar

Also to note....at the are various "colors" of money in the USAF and CAP.

One type can be spend on vehicles but not cadet uniforms and the other on aircraft but not vehicles....but some can be shift from one pot of money to the other.  It is very complicated.

Even on AD it is pretty strange.....fall out money at the end of the year may be spent on say furniture but not on parts and supplies.

For the records....the USAF does in fact pay for our cadets uniforms in the form of the the Free Uniform Program.

AFJROTC get uniforms from the more or less the same source.....but they are individually loaned to the cadets and replaced after a few years.

CAP probably could do something similar....but the over head of maintaining it would probably not be something we at the unit level would like to take on.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: lordmonar on April 12, 2015, 12:31:27 AM
Also to note....at the are various "colors" of money in the USAF and CAP.

One type can be spend on vehicles but not cadet uniforms and the other on aircraft but not vehicles....but some can be shift from one pot of money to the other.  It is very complicated.

Even on AD it is pretty strange.....fall out money at the end of the year may be spent on say furniture but not on parts and supplies.

For the records....the USAF does in fact pay for our cadets uniforms in the form of the the Free Uniform Program.

AFJROTC get uniforms from the more or less the same source.....but they are individually loaned to the cadets and replaced after a few years.

CAP probably could do something similar....but the over head of maintaining it would probably not be something we at the unit level would like to take on.

That last paragraph nails it. In high school, senior year, I was Batallion S-4 (supply) at my Army JROTC unit. Uniforms had to be turned in about 7-10 days before school ended. Stragglers had to be chased down. Then the uniforms had to be individually inspected for rips, loose seams, missing buttons, stains, general serviceability. After that, they were carted to a contract dry cleaner. Known rejects had to be tallied up, logged, replacements ordered. There was a matrix to determine sizes that had to be kept in stock, since nobody knew anyone's sizes for the next school year.

Once replacements arrived, each item had to receive laundry markings identifying the school and the size (because labels were either torn off or wore out during service life). Once the stuff came back from the cleaners, every item had to be individually re-measured and marked, as many of the items had received freelance alterations by "somebody's mom."

All of that ended up being pretty much a full time job for our retired Sergeant First Class for about a month of his summer break. (He got paid, but that was only right).

I think CAP would shed tears bigger than horse droppings if they had to do all of that, year round, at each squadron.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

arajca

There's also the issue of many units not having the space to stock a lot uniforms.

CAPAPRN

I have a large stock of uniforms- we issue every cadet 1 BDU on joining, and a second before encampment. We usually end up outfitting our color guard members with blues until theirs arrive. While I have lots of cadets, it is a drain on the seniors, especially since the base we meet on put our storage shed 1 mile from the meeting facilities. I have always felt fairly supported by Big Blue when it comes to uniforms. We received tons of them after their woodland phase out, and tons of blues when they could still donate them, The problem now is regulations prohibit uniform donations- which was our big supplier. Oh well, lets see how the voucher works, we may end up directing new cadets to ebay when woodland cammo supplies run out in a couple of years.
Capt. Carol A Whelan CAP CTWG,
CTWG Asst. Director of Communications
CTWG Director of Admin & Personnel
Commander NER-CT-004
DCS CTWG 2015 Encampment