Main Menu

CAPR 900-2 rescinded...

Started by Eclipse, March 02, 2015, 11:20:46 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

The current pubs bulletin on the e-services home page still has CAPR 900-2.

So, you have a cite for this?

Eclipse

Are you even reading these threads?  Your last three or four responses would seem to indicate otherwise.

900-2 was pub'ed in 2012, specifically disallowing the use of the Happ Arnold wings surrounding CAP organizational
symbols.

The encampment guide was published in 2014 yet no one seemed to even notice that pixelated, reg-breaking
abomination on the top of the "Honor Agreement".

Further, that purple-pixelated abomination continues to appears in various forms, along with other versions of
H-A wrapped organizational insignia, in direct violation of 900-2, not to mention good taste and sense, in publications,
slide decks, and even coins, all produced by NHQ.

So there are only two possible options - 900-2 was double-secret rescinded, or people producing and editing
documents and media for NHQ can't be bothered to comply with these regulations.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

So...no they have not been rescinded.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: lordmonar on March 03, 2015, 02:45:01 AM

If a reg is ignored, does anyone care?

(A play on trees and forests).

PHall

Yes Bob, I do read these threads but I was responding to your latest post stating that the 900-2 had been recinded.

lordmonar

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 03, 2015, 03:31:40 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on March 03, 2015, 02:45:01 AM

If a reg is ignored, does anyone care?

(A play on trees and forests).
In this case....I don't care.

Feel free to notify NHQ of the offending pages and submit a change request.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Garibaldi

I always feel like you two would be awesome on a debate panel. I can almost picture something like the old Weekend Update segment with Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin...only I'm not sure who is who. "Jane, you ignorant ****! Your grasp of CAP regs is laughable, exceeded only by your willful negligence in blah blah blah etc etc..."

I say this with love, guys. I really like the give and take.  >:D
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Ned

Quote from: Eclipse on March 03, 2015, 02:33:52 AM

So there are only two possible options - 900-2 was double-secret rescinded, or people producing and editing
documents and media for NHQ can't be bothered to comply with these regulations.

Yawn.

Thanks for the catch, Bob.  I've added it to our list of revisions for the next update.  That one just got by us.  (And everyone else when it was circulated for comment.)  Totally our bad.

By the way was CAPR 1-1 rescinded?  Not to mention CAPP 50-2?

You know, the reg and pamphlet that talk about the CAP Core Value of Respect.

Quote from: CAPP 50-2Therefore it is important that members treat each other with fairness and dignity and work together as a team."

I suppose reasonable minds may differ, but snide comments on the internet implying that members deliberately violate regulations (as opposed to making a simple editing error) does not seem to comport with our Core Value of Respect.

Next time we make an error just let us know and we will gladly fix it.  As a senior CAP officer bound by our Core Values, please reflect that public sarcasm and ridicule directed at fellow members and corporate employees may feel good, but is less effective at producing the changes you would like to see.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2015, 05:10:45 PM
I suppose reasonable minds may differ, but snide comments on the internet implying that members deliberately violate regulations (as opposed to making a simple editing error) does not seem to comport with our Core Value of Respect.

I guess the same goes for the new signature requirements. I've yet to get one from any level in CAP that actually is accurate, as published (without any standards).

Майор Хаткевич

I've added it to our list of revisions for the next update.  That one just got by us.  (And everyone else when it was circulated for comment.)  Totally our bad.

People mentioned the ash tray, and most seemed to favor removal/replacement. Difference of opinion? Maybe.

But if we're talking drugs, why tobacco and not something legitimately illegal?

The history section STILL purports the sinking of 2 subs, even though the National Historian has been unable to find any evidence.

Also mentions 20 coastal bases, but mentions (and shows) 21?

Ned

Since there appears to be a commendable willingness to suggest changes and corrections to existing CAP publications here, let me quote one more reg:

Quote from: CAPR 5-4 (Publications and Forms Management), para 3(f)Suggestions for changes to existing regulations or for implementation of new regulations from the field shall be submitted to the CAP/XO through the chain of command. The CAP/XO will forward these suggestions to the NHQ/CO for routing to the OPR for consideration. If the OPR rejects the recommendation, he/she will coordinate the decision with the NHQ/CO before forwarding to the CAP/XO for presentation to the CAP/CC for concurrence and notification of rejection to the submitting party. If a recommendation is accepted the OPR will ensure it is incorporated into the next revision/change to the regulation. The CAP/CC or his/her designate in conjunction with the NHQ/CO shall determine the date when the regulation will be revised or changed to reflect the policy change. An interim change letter may be issued in the intervening time between policy adoption and incorporation into the applicable directive publication.

While there is no specific guidance on how to suggest improvements to pamphlets and other publications, it might make sense to follow the same general guidance.  I'm glad to help where and when I can, but it is unrealistic to expect NHQ staff to follow unofficial internet fora to search for suggested changes.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2015, 06:07:52 PM
Since there appears to be a commendable willingness to suggest changes and corrections to existing CAP publications here, let me quote one more reg:

Quote from: CAPR 5-4 (Publications and Forms Management), para 3(f)Suggestions for changes to existing regulations or for implementation of new regulations from the field shall be submitted to the CAP/XO through the chain of command. The CAP/XO will forward these suggestions to the NHQ/CO for routing to the OPR for consideration. If the OPR rejects the recommendation, he/she will coordinate the decision with the NHQ/CO before forwarding to the CAP/XO for presentation to the CAP/CC for concurrence and notification of rejection to the submitting party. If a recommendation is accepted the OPR will ensure it is incorporated into the next revision/change to the regulation. The CAP/CC or his/her designate in conjunction with the NHQ/CO shall determine the date when the regulation will be revised or changed to reflect the policy change. An interim change letter may be issued in the intervening time between policy adoption and incorporation into the applicable directive publication.

While there is no specific guidance on how to suggest improvements to pamphlets and other publications, it might make sense to follow the same general guidance.  I'm glad to help where and when I can, but it is unrealistic to expect NHQ staff to follow unofficial internet fora to search for suggested changes.

Correcting typos, mistakes, and wrong usage doesn't seem to fall under these guidelines. Fixing mistakes is neither a change, nor new regulation. But even if that's the process to be followed, having minutiae travel through the whole CoC is neither logical, nor practical. When members can't get PD awards to ever make it down from Wing, or get Wing level approvals back in a timely matter, who can expect any recommendation to make it through all the levels to NHQ for consideration, merit or not? 

I am working on 1-sheet drill test critiques, and while transcribing the info, ran into a few incorrect explanations, as well as some header issues. Minor stuff. Most people wouldn't even catch it. But if I have to submit this to my Unit CC to the Group CP guy, to Group CC, to wing CC, to region CC, to NHQ...why bother? That's about 5 people who don't care/don't need the distraction, and chances are, will never clear higher than wing.

Ned

So, if you don't want to use the chain of command for its intended purpose, feel free to drop NHQ a note with typos, minor corrections, etc.  Send it to the attention of the OPR.  (I suggest you let your CAP boss know that you are going direct to NHQ to avoid any surprises when we send a thank you note for pointing out the errors.)

But I reiterate that just putting typos and suggested corrections onto an internet forum and thinking that it somehow gets magically communicated to the right people is probably wishful thinking and is less likely to get the errors corrected.

The address for CP folks at NHQ is:

105 South Hansell Street
Bldg. 714
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6332

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2015, 06:37:20 PM
So, if you don't want to use the chain of command for its intended purpose, feel free to drop NHQ a note with typos, minor corrections, etc.  Send it to the attention of the OPR.  (I suggest you let your CAP boss know that you are going direct to NHQ to avoid any surprises when we send a thank you note for pointing out the errors.)

But I reiterate that just putting typos and suggested corrections onto an internet forum and thinking that it somehow gets magically communicated to the right people is probably wishful thinking and is less likely to get the errors corrected.

The address for CP folks at NHQ is:

105 South Hansell Street
Bldg. 714
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112-6332

But which process? I'm compiling my findings, but it's on a back burner. I've got squadron matters, encampment matters, that take priority over a wrong column over line formation issue.

If I go by the 5-4 process, that seems unnecessary, and not as mentioned.

If there's an email that is used to collect such tips (not changes, or new policy), that's probably the best way to deal with it (and yes, the Squadron CC is always CC'd).

arajca

Ned,
   the problem with the chain is many time things just vanish as there is no requirement for anyone to inform lower echelons of any action taken, unless, by some major miracle a suggest actually reaches the CAP/CC's desk, then the requirement is if he rejects it. Even when following up on things, all you get is "I sent it up" and no one will say where it went from being sent "up" to being sent "up in smoke". Sorry, if this contradicts the plan National may have, but the view from the trenches is very different than from on high. Heck, I sent up a proposal to fix this, but no one knows where it went!

Ned

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on March 03, 2015, 06:45:52 PM

I'm compiling my findings, but it's on a back burner. I've got squadron matters, encampment matters, that take priority over a wrong column over line formation issue.

I suspect is may be some sort of "generational thing" but it almost sounds like you are saying that not only is it too much trouble to use the Chain of Command, but it is also it is too much trouble to drop suspected typos and corrections into the mail. 

Really?

There are indeed emails for NHQ staff and they have phones on their desks but I can't / won't put them here where they would be bot-harvested.  But they are available on the NHQ website.

I have to tell you, though that they get a lot of phone calls and emails from members.  A written note (whether through the CoC or VFR-direct) is going to be a heck of a lot more effective.

But you already knew that, right?

Eclipse

By the way was CAPR 1-1 rescinded?  Not to mention CAPP 50-2?

You know, the reg and pamphlet that talk about the CAP Core Value of Respect.

Quote from: CAPP 50-2Therefore it is important that members treat each other with fairness and dignity and work together as a team."

The Core Values are not a menu.  You don't get to wheel out "Respect" when "Excellence" is ignored.  I'd also be very curious
how this:

Yawn.

...equals "Respect".

Why is it never considered how incredibly disrespectful of the rank and file membership it is when staff at any level
willfully disregard simple regulations to their own ends and then pretend no one sees it or ignores?

This is not an "editing error", unless you are suggesting that the insignia created itself.  This was someone on the staff drafting the
document who took the time to cobble it together, place it in the document, and then any number of other staffers who are responsible
for vetting the indices and insignia within documents either being unaware that it's an issue, or unwilling to change it. 

There's simply no other option.

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2015, 06:07:52 PMbut it is unrealistic to expect NHQ staff to follow unofficial internet fora to search for suggested changes.

And yet the reality is that there is no more direct and demonstrable instrument of change then the light of day.

This particular example was published nearly a year ago, and was mandated to be used at every encampment since June 2014.
Every cadet who attended an encampment last year signed the "Honor" Agreement, as did their CF and TO, and hopefully those signatures
were vetted by someone else on staff as well.

In any number of cases where there was an issue that violated that agreement, the very document used to remind a cadet of
their promises contained, at the top of the page, a blatant violation of a CAP Reg, at least one AFI, and the intellectual property
rights of CAP's parent service.

CAP has no issue C&Ding people who they feel violate their own rights, but has no compunction to ignore the situation elsewhere when they do it.

When are the core issues going to be addressed instead of deflecting or impugning the character of the people who are knowledgeable
enough to actually care about and notice these problems?

Who cares?  No one's going to even notice?  What's the big deal?

Agreed, because clearly no one does and no one did, however that's the problem.  If it was important enough to canonize in a regulation,
it's important enough to be held to the standard.  And if the latter isn't true, even a little, then neither is the former, and the effort
used to create and maintain those regs is wasted and counterproductive, because as soon as anyone actually reads them, and compares them
to reality, the credibility meter starts falling.  One little point at a time.

It's all small stuff, but it adds to the entropy and apathy that prevents CAP from fulfilling even a portion of its considerable potential.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2015, 07:05:57 PM
I suspect is may be some sort of "generational thing" but it almost sounds like you are saying that not only is it too much trouble to use the Chain of Command, but it is also it is too much trouble to drop suspected typos and corrections into the mail.  Really?There are indeed emails for NHQ staff and they have phones on their desks but I can't / won't put them here where they would be bot-harvested.  But they are available on the NHQ website.I have to tell you, though that they get a lot of phone calls and emails from members.  A written note (whether through the CoC or VFR-direct) is going to be a heck of a lot more effective.But you already knew that, right?

Besides the fact that I said I'm compiling my remarks (as in, I'm not fully done with the process, so perhaps more are to be found), and stating that I do have my plate full with my ACTUAL duties, OUTSIDE of my side-projects that I feel are for the BETTERMENT of the experience cadets under my charge get compared to how I got my start in CAP, I'll leave you with this:

Quote from: Ned on March 03, 2015, 05:10:45 PMI suppose reasonable minds may differ, but snide comments on the internet implying that members deliberately violate regulations (as opposed to making a simple editing error) does not seem to comport with our Core Value of Respect.

Майор Хаткевич

Not aimed at anyone specific, here or CAP at large, but there seems to be an attitude of "core value of the moment". If I question someone on their integrity or excellence, all of a sudden someone shoots back with respect. They aren't mutually exclusive. Pointing out that a situation seems to lack integrity, or someone doesn't live up to excellence, CAN be done respectfully. Can't hide behind one value from another.