RC Drone Crashes onto White House backyard

Started by CadetSnuffy, January 29, 2015, 07:23:36 PM

CadetSnuffy

The FAA seeks to put more regulations on private model drone owners while many in the aviation community have been seeking less. Thoughts on what is to be done about incidences like the one in this article?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/01/28/drone-white-house-faa-unmanned-aircraft-editorials-debates/22497763/
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on January 29, 2015, 07:23:36 PMThoughts on what is to be done about incidences like the one in this article?

Prosecute the person and leave the industry out of the conversation.

And certainly you should not have the manufacturer restricting where they can fly:
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/28/politics/white-house-drone-crash/

That >does not< prevent a malicious person from doing something bad, but it does cut the quadcopter
biz right out of a lot of major markets.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Typical 'crat response.

Take something that's already illegal (flying a UAV in the DC SFRA), and when someone does it, make up more laws to make it (still) illegal.

CadetSnuffy

There should be some limitations on where you fly drones. Flying above or near people, buildings, highways, electric lines, and especially the White House can be hazardous. News articles such as this one create bad publicity and make our job of promoting the hobby much harder. One man's foolishness ruins the hard work of thousands of RC pilots.
There are two types of countries, those that use the metric system, then that one that has been to the moon.

JeffDG

QuoteThe company that manufactures the drone that crashed on White House grounds announced on Wednesday that it will move to disable its drones from flying in much of Washington.

OK, and what do you do with a quadcopter like this:
http://www.parallax.com/product/80200

Where the owner builds and programs the whole thing themselves?

CadetSnuffy

Precisely, quadcopters built from scratch are becoming more common.

Eclipse

Quote from: JeffDG on January 29, 2015, 07:51:40 PM
QuoteThe company that manufactures the drone that crashed on White House grounds announced on Wednesday that it will move to disable its drones from flying in much of Washington.

OK, and what do you do with a quadcopter like this:
http://www.parallax.com/product/80200

Where the owner builds and programs the whole thing themselves?

Agreed, and / or the current owners simply won't download the update, or hacked roms will be
all over the place.  That's a good way for DJI to lose a lot of business while nor advantage to them.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on January 29, 2015, 07:50:27 PM
There should be some limitations on where you fly drones. Flying above or near people, buildings, highways, electric lines,

So...no UAVs at all, then?

"That Others May Zoom"

CadetSnuffy

No, not at all. Fly them in safe areas. There are plenty of safe flying zones. Don't fly your drone in an area where, if it crashes, it can be a danger to public property or people. That is all I am saying.

lordmonar

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on January 29, 2015, 08:03:48 PM
No, not at all. Fly them in safe areas. There are plenty of safe flying zones. Don't fly your drone in an area where, if it crashes, it can be a danger to public property or people. That is all I am saying.
Snuffy....by definition that is everywhere.   So that is why Eclipse was saying no drones.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: CadetSnuffy on January 29, 2015, 08:03:48 PM
Don't fly your drone in an area where, if it crashes, it can be a danger to public property or people. That is all I am saying.

So basically, nowhere at all. That's a great way to advance aerospace knowledge and education.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Майор Хаткевич

I got a $60, 5 minute flight time, with video beginner drone coming by (not so slow) China post. Swappable batteries and charger cost $20 for 3.

Going to be fun playing around with it. Has about a 100yard "range" before you loose sight of it.

sardak

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: sardak on January 29, 2015, 09:07:21 PM
QuoteHas about a 100yard "range" before you loose lose sight of it.
Mike

Autocorrect drives me nuts...most times I catch it...others...not so much. I don't understand why it changes one right word for another.

By the way, this will probably be an indoors/20 ft in the air thing in a field at most. No plans on taking it up like some of the awesome stuff people do with "real" flying toys.

sardak

QuoteNo plans on taking it up like some of the awesome stuff people do with "real" flying toys.
Like the "operator" who sent his quadcopter vertically up to 1000 m (3280 ft) AGL, to test its range, and to see above the stratus cloud deck, then lost control of it.

I also noticed the FAA poster doesn't mention the 400 ft AGL limit for model aircraft.

Mike

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: sardak on January 29, 2015, 09:24:13 PM
QuoteNo plans on taking it up like some of the awesome stuff people do with "real" flying toys.
Like the "operator" who sent his quadcopter vertically up to 1000 m (3280 ft) AGL, to test its range, and to see above the stratus cloud deck, then lost control of it.

I also noticed the FAA poster doesn't mention the 400 ft AGL limit for model aircraft.

Mike

A good reason anyone with half a sense does the "distance" test on the ground. See where you can engage it by going away from it, and walking in until it does...

LTCinSWR

Several years ago, at one of those 'after meeting meetings' that occur in coffee shops / diners everywhere, several of us discussed the idea of using RC aircraft for improving search capability in missing person / aircraft searches. At the time, the video capability wasn't as sophisticated as it is today. Guess it was an idea that was ahead of the technology.
If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader.
John Quincy Adams

L.A. Nelson Lt. Col. CAP
Homeland Security Officer
NM Wing Headquarters

Майор Хаткевич

LTC Don

Drones should be banned.

What does one really need with a drone anyway.

Drones should only be used by the military, they have no place in the general population.

/sarc
Donald A. Beckett, Lt Col, CAP
Commander
MER-NC-143
Gill Rob Wilson #1891

lordmonar

Quote from: LTC Don on January 30, 2015, 03:23:12 PM
Drones should be banned.

What does one really need with a drone anyway.

Drones should only be used by the military, they have no place in the general population.

/sarc
[darn] I was all ready to flame you to kingdom come.....then I saw /sarc.

Nicely played.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP