Main Menu

Encampment

Started by C/Awesomenesss, October 26, 2014, 03:48:48 AM

C/Awesomenesss

How many people got sent home when you were at your encampment(s)?

We had one go home the first day for going to places he shouldn't go.

I love to hear the story why he/she went home.

Майор Хаткевич

The reasons are typically need to know. If you don't, you don't have a need to know.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Johnny Yuma

I've seen more cadets (and even more Seniors) kept on at encampment who should've had their bags packed for them than actually sent packing.

One NCR encampment held in your state years ago actually put together a special flight they ended up putting all the cadets that should've been sent home. Most all of them were from one single urban cadet unit from the East side of your state and their unit CC was IIRC either Chief TAC or Commandant of Cadets.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

a2capt

Great,  the Flunky Flight, in the Silly Squadron, of the Goofball Group, under the Wacky Wing...

C/Awesomenesss

Our wing isn't wacky. My squadron had won the NCC three years ina row.

Eclipse

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 27, 2014, 12:48:25 AM

There hasn't been an NCC for the last two, and previous to that is was basically a contest in which attendance guaranteed
a podium due to lack of interest.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 27, 2014, 12:48:25 AM

And how many Wright Brothers, Mitchell, Earhart, Eaker and Spaatz Awards did your squadron produce during those three years?

a2capt

Three years in a row, really?

The only Wing that has done that is NJWG, in the early 1990s. Nebraska has never placed a 1st in either NCC category.

C/Awesomenesss

Well,  maybe it wasnt NCC. But our color guard is one of the best.

SarDragon

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 27, 2014, 02:35:48 AM
Well,  maybe it wasnt NCC. But our color guard is one of the best.

You better checkity-checkity before you wreckity-wreckity. a2capt is from a unit with multiple wing, region and national CG competition wins.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

C/Awesomenesss

Mine has won a bunch of compitions.

LSThiker

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 27, 2014, 02:47:02 AM
Mine has won a bunch of compitions.

I think what you mean is not the National Competition, but rather Wing and Region Competitions for NCGC.

2013:  NCR had no Drill Team
2013:  NCR was NE and placed 6th in Color Guard

2012:  NCR was MN and placed 4th for Drill Team
2012:  NCR was NE and  placed 4th for Color Guard

2011:  NCR was MN and placed 7th for Drill Team
2011:  NCR was NE and placed 2nd for Color Guard

2010:  NCR was MN and placed 7th for Drill Team
2010:  NCR was MN and placed 3rd for Color Guard

In fact, Nebraska has never taken first place at the National Cadet Competition:

http://ncsas.com/ncc_winners/

SarDragon

And it appears, without totally thorough research, that NE-002 has been the unit to send a team to NCC in the years listed.

My Q, for Mr Awesomenesss, is - were you a member of any of those teams? If not, then I think you need to be spending more time refining those skills, and less time on here. Take a closer look at your language skills, too. Those are even more useful as an adult.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Never been to NCC. Know why some cadets were sent home from encampment. At the end of the day, it's not exciting, sometimes sad, and at other times disheartening.

a2capt

What he said, except for the first statement.

We have a benchmark that we use on whether a cadet should worry about encampment this year, or next.. "If the sum of your stripes plus age is not 15 or greater, you've got plenty of time".

That's not to say we outright refuse to sign paperwork. But statistically, the number that will encounter issues is greater at a lower age and lets save everyone the hassle, heartache and expense.

C/Awesomenesss

Well, you people never seen my CG proform so stop talking smack about us. When you see them then come talk to me.

Майор Хаткевич

Got a link to some YouTube videos? Parades? NFL games? Flag Ceremonies? Anything?

THRAWN

Quote from: Awesomenesss on October 28, 2014, 04:55:12 AM
Well, you people never seen my CG proform so stop talking smack about us. When you see them then come talk to me.

Jeezy...let me help you out a bit, young brother, before the steel rain starts. First, eliminate the phrase "you people" from your vocabulary. Second, if you're going to come off like a rock star, learn to spell. Third, is it your CG, as in you're on it, or is it your squadron/group/wing CG. I ask because you refer to "my CG"  and then say "when you see them...". I'm guessing you're not on it. Otherwise, you would have said something along the lines of "When you see us..." See the difference? Finally, and this is the most important point, this isn't Facething or Myplace, laddie. There are a lot of people on this board, active and lurkers alike, who have more time in this uniform than you have on this planet. When you come here, it is fine to disagree and try to make your point. Debate is a great teaching tool. However, show a little respect for the professionals here.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SamFranklin

This thread is one of the reasons I'm frequently disappointed with CAPTalk and so visit here infrequently.

1.  Cadet asks a legitimate question about encampment.

2.  Senior explains the info is on a "need to know basis," but comes across as curt, perhaps unintentionally.

3.  Tangent as to a wacky flight.

4.  Cadet defensively says his unit isn't goofy, it's actually strong, especially in color guard.

5.  Seniors proceed to beat up cadet over the terminology, because it's unlikely that the cadet's unit won "NCC."

6.  Cadet gets even more defensive, which is understandable.

7.  Seniors continue piling on.

I'd like to see the adult leaders -- the supposed mentors here -- demonstrate a more charitable tone toward cadets like the OP here. This cadet's "crime" has been to ask a question and to take pride in his or her squadron and wing. Sounds like a good cadet, if not totally correct about the name of the competition his team won.

To answer your question, cadet, maybe 1% to 3% of cadets leave encampment early. Sometimes it's at their request due to a lack of interest. Sometimes it's for misconduct. Sometimes it's health. Sometimes there's been a tragedy at home. A former national commander, Brig. Gen Jay Bobick, told of his father (? IIRC) dying during encampment while Brig. Gen. Bobick was still a cadet, and how the CAP and military staff moved heaven and earth to reschedule a helo flight before the young man went home to be with his family. So, sometimes the reasons for a cadet's departure will become common knowledge, but most of the time, the CAP senior staff keeps that information to themselves out of respect for the cadet's privacy and/or to not "air dirty laundry" in public. If you haven't been to encampment yet, plan on it for next year. If you have, work hard during the off-season and come back on staff next summer. Good luck!