Main Menu

New Army uniform

Started by Garibaldi, July 21, 2014, 06:18:52 PM

PHall

Quote from: shuman14 on July 23, 2014, 01:56:40 AM
I always thought it was silly to see people on the same FOB in 5 different uniforms: ACU, ABU, MARPAT-Desert, NAVPAT-Desert, and BDU-Desert.  ::)

There should be Theater specific camouflage and everyone in that Theater should be in it.

As to Garrison work uniforms, solid olive drab works for me and if the Sea Services want to use blue when afloat... no harm, no foul.

When you become the CG for the AOR you can make that decision. But until then...

lordmonar

I always thought it was silly to see people on the same FOB in 5 different uniforms: ACU, ABU, MARPAT-Desert, NAVPAT-Desert, and BDU-Desert.  ::)

There should be Theater specific camouflage and everyone in that Theater should be in it.

As to Garrison work uniforms, solid olive drab works for me and if the Sea Services want to use blue when afloat... no harm, no foul.
Sounds good....now here are the unintentional consequences.

Cost.   Someone has got to pay for it......and unit's budgets are pretty tight these days.

Response Time.   Coast Guardsman Johnson gets tagged for a special TDY advising army pukes on how to do drug busts on a river in Ascrackastand....He's got to get the required theater specific uniform, get his name and rank sewn on and get to the airport to make his NLT date.

It sounds simple.....but it is not.....that was the whole idea for the original Army Universal Camouflage Pattern in the first place.   One uniform that works okay in all AORs.   

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

antdetroitwallyball

For the record, blue is a poor uniform color choice for working on the water. It makes you less visible if you fall overboard. Ironic that a service so hell bent on all its personnel wearing $2000 in bright orange survival PPE slathered in reflective tape would also wear a uniform that has a completely opposite effect.

Eclipse

I've heard this direct from POs and Chiefs - fall into the water in NWUs without something shiny on and they will never find you.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 23, 2014, 06:58:05 PM
I've heard this direct from POs and Chiefs - fall into the water in NWUs without something shiny on and they will never find you.

Hear this from a PO1 with some sea time - if you fall into the water wearing the olde Navy working uniforms, you are equally difficult to see. The NWU doesn't make a big change in visibility in the water.

People working on the weather decks are generally outfitted in PPE anyway, so it's not as big an issue as everyone is making it out to be.

I think this horse has been beaten long enough, don'tcha think?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: SarDragon on July 23, 2014, 09:10:11 PM

It's a uniform thread... that equine cadaver hasn't been pulverized yet! :D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

blackrain

Well if they approve Multi-Cam or a close derivative I still have my uniforms available...and I saved the patches/nametapes..... the real advantage if it is selected DOD wide will be the better availability for all. As uniforms go mine was pretty durable.

Right now I loathe paying any more on anything ACU.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

SARDOC

Quote from: SarDragon on July 23, 2014, 09:10:11 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 23, 2014, 06:58:05 PM

Hear this from a PO1 with some sea time - if you fall into the water wearing the olde Navy working uniforms, you are equally difficult to see. The NWU doesn't make a big change in visibility in the water.

People working on the weather decks are generally outfitted in PPE anyway, so it's not as big an issue as everyone is making it out to be.

I've spent many a day on the flight decks in a Aircrew survival vest or a float coat.

Shuman 14

Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2014, 02:47:59 AM

When you become the CG for the AOR you can make that decision. But until then...

General Clune does have a nice ring to it... doesn't it?  ;)  :P  8)
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: lordmonar on July 23, 2014, 03:55:49 AM

Sounds good....now here are the unintentional consequences.

Cost.   Someone has got to pay for it......and unit's budgets are pretty tight these days.

Response Time.   Coast Guardsman Johnson gets tagged for a special TDY advising army pukes on how to do drug busts on a river in Ascrackastand....He's got to get the required theater specific uniform, get his name and rank sewn on and get to the airport to make his NLT date.

It sounds simple.....but it is not.....that was the whole idea for the original Army Universal Camouflage Pattern in the first place.   One uniform that works okay in all AORs.

But the problem is that "one" pattern really only works in the fertile crescent during the spring time.

You mention cost, I would submit to you that having one olive drab garrison/work uniform and one theater camo uniform will be cheaper in the long run. If you put a reasonable wear-out date on the current uniforms, no ones' clothing allowance is going to be over taxed.

Back in the BDU days, no one had desert BDUs ... until they deployed. It would be much the same. So Shipmate Johnson would go to a MOB site, and as part of his/her pre-deployment certification to go to Ascrackastan (that was funny BTW) would be being issued a theater specific camo uniform.
Joseph J. Clune

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Shuman 14

Quote from: blackrain on July 23, 2014, 11:24:37 PM
Well if they approve Multi-Cam or a close derivative I still have my uniforms available...and I saved the patches/nametapes..... the real advantage if it is selected DOD wide will be the better availability for all. As uniforms go mine was pretty durable.

Right now I loathe paying any more on anything ACU.

I feel you. I had two footlockers full of BDUs (which I donated to a cadet squadron) I now only have the required four pairs of ACUs. They will fall apart before I buy anything else.

Hope they figure this "new" uniform out soon.
Joseph J. Clune

lordmonar

Quote from: shuman14 on July 24, 2014, 01:40:01 PM
But the problem is that "one" pattern really only works in the fertile crescent during the spring time.

And then we are back to the whole argument about a UCP.    "Works" is a value laden term.   The ACU's do work.  Just not as good a desert multi-cam.

QuoteYou mention cost, I would submit to you that having one olive drab garrison/work uniform and one theater camo uniform will be cheaper in the long run. If you put a reasonable wear-out date on the current uniforms, no ones' clothing allowance is going to be over taxed.
ONE theater?   We only going to fight in the desert for now on?   What about woodlands?  Arctic? Jungle?  Savanna?  That is the reason why the Army was so hot for the UCP for the ACUs.    When Desert Storm kicked off they had to buy complete new uniforms and FIELD GEAR....including chemical warfare suits!.....for their woodland BDU wearing solders.  It was the cost of wearhousing all those different equipment loads outs and uniforms that the Army was trying to save with the ACUs.

QuoteBack in the BDU days, no one had desert BDUs ... until they deployed. It would be much the same.
Yep....much the same very expensive.

QuoteSo Shipmate Johnson would go to a MOB site, and as part of his/her pre-deployment certification to go to Ascrackastan (that was funny BTW) would be being issued a theater specific camo uniform.
Again....slowing his deployment....and raising the cost of getting him to the field.

Panache

The U.S. Army has altered its government-owned Scorpion camouflage pattern to look almost identical to MultiCam, the trademarked pattern the service has been using in Afghanistan since 2010.

"We don't want to pay for MultiCam, so we're 'altering' our Scorpion pattern in such a way that it looks just like MultiCam.  Pure coincidence.  Honest."

The guys in Army Legal can't honestly expect to get away with that.  It's so blatant.  It's almost as if they crunched the numbers and decided that getting sued, and loosing, is cheaper then just buying the rights.

PHall

Quote from: Panache on July 25, 2014, 07:41:56 AM
The U.S. Army has altered its government-owned Scorpion camouflage pattern to look almost identical to MultiCam, the trademarked pattern the service has been using in Afghanistan since 2010.

"We don't want to pay for MultiCam, so we're 'altering' our Scorpion pattern in such a way that it looks just like MultiCam.  Pure coincidence.  Honest."

The guys in Army Legal can't honestly expect to get away with that.  It's so blatant.  It's almost as if they crunched the numbers and decided that getting sued, and loosing, is cheaper then just buying the rights.

But they can't buy the rights because Crye Precision, the developer and owner of the Multicam pattern, isn't selling.
They're willing to sell the government a license to use the pattern, but it won't be cheap.
And they're entirely within their legal rights to do so too.

Devil Doc

All I have heard Crye Precison do is CRY CRY CRY about the Scorpion Multicam Issue, New Flash, He created the Scorpion Pattern and sold it the DoD.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

PHall

Quote from: Devil Doc on July 25, 2014, 11:56:08 AM
All I have heard Crye Precison do is CRY CRY CRY about the Scorpion Multicam Issue, New Flash, He created the Scorpion Pattern and sold it the DoD.

Did he? His lawyers say otherwise.

Devil Doc

Crye Created Scorpion for the DoD, when they decided not to use it, He went on and Created MultiCam. I think when it comes to designs/patens as long as one or two things are different is it not infringment. LV Purse or Fake LV Purse, who can tell the Difference?
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

lordmonar

Or maybe the Army Legal guys know exactly what they are doing.   Like you said....if it were wrong "It's so blatant." who would do such a thing?

LSThiker

Garibaldi

Quote from: PHall on July 25, 2014, 10:57:09 AM

But they can't buy the rights because Crye Precision, the developer and owner of the Multicam pattern, isn't selling.
They're willing to sell the government a license to use the pattern, but it won't be cheap.
And they're entirely within their legal rights to do so too.

And this is exactly what is wrong with government spending. It's out of hand, which is why we have serious problems paying our bills. We can't keep spending money we don't have!

*runs off to pay $600 in rent with $300 in the bank*
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things