Main Menu

Summer jobs

Started by nomiddlemas, May 06, 2014, 10:09:30 PM

nomiddlemas

Hey, I am a 17 year old guy who is a student pilot in my CAP squadron.  I love spending time at the airport and I need a summer job so I was wondering if anyone has recieved a summer job at their local airport? My airport has Allegiant and most other airlines flying out.  It also has a general aviation part which I am thinking of giving a call.  Anyone had a job at their airport over the summer?

Spaceman3750

It's really hit and miss. One of the cadets in my unit got a job as a ramp rat at a FBO north of town, and it has been really good for him (got his PPC through them relatively inexpensively). There's also FBOs that won't bother. If you have a small field with a mom-and-pop FBO nearby I'd call them first.

nomiddlemas

Ok thanks.  Any other ideas?

Al Sayre

I got started flying by mowing the airport, 10 hours on the tractor = 1 hour flying.  If you like airplanes and airplane people, head over to the local FBOs and talk to them, the worst thing they can do is say no.  You still may be able to pick up some spare change (and stick time) by helping the local pilots wash their airplanes etc.  Be aware that some FBO's won't hire you  because you're under 18 and their insurance may not permit it.  Be persistent, they may get tired of looking at you and give you something to do like cleaning out the hangar etc.   ;)
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Eclipse

Don't be afraid to work for free, either.

More then a few storied careers have started by people proving themselves for free.

"That Others May Zoom"

nomiddlemas

Oh I wont.  I just have the dying desire to work at my favorite place, the airport.  I would love to just clean the aircraft at the FBO. 

SunDog

I wish it were 1960, or even 1970, for you. . .you might try hooking up with the local EAA chapter, go to a meeting. Maybe get a Young Eagles flight.

Small FBO might let you wash airplanes, if you convince them (and the airplane owners) you won't snap antennas or shoot water in the cowl flaps or vents. . .tell them you took an aircraft ground handling course. Maybe NOT mention it was from CAP. . .

Offer the FBO a cut, to cover the water and using their ramp. Might be a win-win for you and the FBO.  Shoot, cut the grass for $20 (thier gas and mower, of course).

nomiddlemas

Thanks.  What about cleaning the interior of the commercial jets? Is that out of the question?

SarDragon

Quote from: nomiddlemas on May 07, 2014, 08:41:41 PM
Thanks.  What about cleaning the interior of the commercial jets? Is that out of the question?

You probably don't want to go there. There are age and security considerations, and it's a little too germy for my ooky factor.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

nomiddlemas

So if im 17 and have a students pilots license and I was dying to do that, is there a chance?

NC Hokie

Quote from: nomiddlemas on May 07, 2014, 08:52:07 PM
So if im 17 and have a students pilots license and I was dying to do that, is there a chance?

Sure, there's always a chance. Talk to the senior member pilots in your squadron, as they peobably have the FBO contacts you'll need to make this happen.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

nomiddlemas

Sure, there's always a chance. Talk to the senior member pilots in your squadron, as they peobably have the FBO contacts you'll need to make this happen.
[/quote]
Thanks alot. 

NC Hokie

Quote from: nomiddlemas on May 08, 2014, 01:06:36 AM
Thanks alot.

What answer did you expect to your last question?

You asked if there was a chance, and I gave a simple answer to a simple question.  I also offered a bit of advice that nobody else in this thread offered, but it appears that you have chosen to ignore that part of my post.

Good luck to you, and I truly hope you find whatever answers you're looking for.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

Spaceman3750

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 08, 2014, 02:31:45 AM
Quote from: nomiddlemas on May 08, 2014, 01:06:36 AM
Thanks alot.

What answer did you expect to your last question?

You asked if there was a chance, and I gave a simple answer to a simple question.  I also offered a bit of advice that nobody else in this thread offered, but it appears that you have chosen to ignore that part of my post.

Good luck to you, and I truly hope you find whatever answers you're looking for.

I don't think he was being snarky.

NC Hokie

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 08, 2014, 02:35:42 AM

You may be right.  I apologize to anyone that my last post may have offended.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

All Around Good Guy

nomiddlemas

Quote from: NC Hokie on May 08, 2014, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on May 08, 2014, 02:35:42 AM

You may be right.  I apologize to anyone that my last post may have offended.
If It did sound snarky im sorry I did not mean it to come out that way.