Main Menu

Vice Commander Applications

Started by MSG Mac, April 09, 2014, 12:17:27 AM

MSG Mac

National HQ has now requested that applications for the post of National Vice Commander be submitted NLT 15 May 14. Same criteria as for National Commander.
Former Wing Commander
Bachelor's Degree
Level V
Submit to a background and credit checks.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

James Shaw

Well I match all but Former Wing Commander, I guess I will have to wait.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Panache

If it's the same requirements for National CC, than those "requirements" are just "suggestions".  Feel free to apply if interested.

PHall

Quote from: Panache on April 09, 2014, 04:32:37 AM
If it's the same requirements for National CC, than those "requirements" are just "suggestions".  Feel free to apply if interested.

They're not "suggestions", they are requirements. But the BoG has stated that they will consider waiviers for some requirements on a case-by-case basis.
But would have to pled a pretty good case to get them to waive the Wing/Region Commander requirement.
Something like running a sucessful medium size business might work.

Panache

Quote from: PHall on April 09, 2014, 04:37:30 AM
They're not "suggestions", they are requirements. But the BoG has stated that they will consider waiviers for some requirements on a case-by-case basis.

Okay.  "Strongly-worded suggestions" then.

lordmonar

Quote from: Panache on April 09, 2014, 04:40:49 AM
Quote from: PHall on April 09, 2014, 04:37:30 AM

Okay.  "Strongly-worded suggestions" then.
No....a requirement......with the caveat that the whose who wrote the requirement may ignore it if they think it is in the interest of the organization.

But yes your point is taken......if you want to try for the job.....go for it.....the worst that will happen is they say no.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

They're not really requirements if they're not really required, are they?

Mitchell 1969

Quote from: Panache on April 09, 2014, 06:00:32 AM
They're not really requirements if they're not really required, are they?

Requirements that can be waived = "waiverments?"  Or..."requiwaives?"

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Panache

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on April 09, 2014, 06:46:47 AM
Requirements that can be waived = "waiverments?"  Or..."requiwaives?"

I think this is an acceptable compromise.   ;)

Flying Pig

Where there is a will, there is a waiver.

The14th

Having legit requirements like that makes the position look good, but waiving them kind of defeats the purpose. Just means that will take whoever they actually want, regardless.

JeffDG

Quote from: The14th on April 09, 2014, 05:14:50 PM
Having legit requirements like that makes the position look good, but waiving them kind of defeats the purpose. Just means that will take whoever they actually want, regardless.
No, it lets them set expectations, while at the same time leaving themselves flexibility for extraordinary people who don't meet them.

Take, for example, the degree requirement.  Who does not think that people like Bill Gates or Sir Richard Branson do not have experience equivalent to a degree, even though they're college dropouts?

Strict requirements lead to brain-dead decisions, like zero tolerance policies.  Waiverability leads to decision-makers exercising something called "judgement".

Eclipse

The problem is that they are characterized as "requirements", which means by design it
will pre-filter those "otherwise qualified" candidates before they even get a chance to
be compared to other applicants.

The Gates' and Bransons' would review the "requirements" and close the page.

I suppose you could make the argument that by the time anyone gets to the point
where they are experientially qualified (running Microsoft is not the same as running CAP)
for HEADCAP, they would have actually read the regs, as well as the C&B, and thus would know the "requirements" aren't.

What it should say is something to the effect of "preferred skills and experience", etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ned

The minimum qualifications required for the National Commander and Vice Commander are found in the CAP Constitution, Article XIII.

The letters calling for nominations are simply quoting the CAP Constitution, which also inlcudes the ability for the BoG to waive a requirement should the applicant be able to "demonstrate comparable skills and experience."

As it turns out, two applicants for the National Commander position requested a waiver.  Neither was selected.

LSThiker

Quote from: Ned on April 09, 2014, 06:21:15 PM
As it turns out, two applicants for the National Commander position requested a waiver.  Neither was selected.

So out of curiosity, what would qualify, in your opinion, as a successful waiver request?  Obviously speaking in general as all situations are different.  So what would you think would be a good waiver request for say "former wing commander" or "level V"?

Just trying to see where in general the bar is.

Alaric

I agree with Eclipse, they should call them something other than requirements my dictionary defines requirement as: something that is needed or that must be done; or something that is necessary for something else to happen or be done.  If you can waive them then they are not needed nor must they be done.

THRAWN

Quote from: Alaric on April 09, 2014, 06:36:21 PM
I agree with Eclipse, they should call them something other than requirements my dictionary defines requirement as: something that is needed or that must be done; or something that is necessary for something else to happen or be done.  If you can waive them then they are not needed nor must they be done.

Reminds me of something I heard once about either making jaywalking a felony or murder a misdemeanor...

If it's required, it can't be waived. If it can be waived, it's not required. This shouldn't even be a thing.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

Quote from: LSThiker on April 09, 2014, 06:35:45 PM
Quote from: Ned on April 09, 2014, 06:21:15 PM

So out of curiosity, what would qualify, in your opinion, as a successful waiver request?  Obviously speaking in general as all situations are different.  So what would you think would be a good waiver request for say "former wing commander" or "level V"?

Just trying to see where in general the bar is.

Not a BoG member, but here's a for-instance for you.

Let's say that Col. Gloyd, CAP-USAF/CC were to retire from the USAF and apply for the job.  He has years of experience working with CAP at a strategic level, has worked closely with multiple CAP/CCs and CAP/CVs along with Region/CCs and Wing/CCs.  As he has not been a CAP member, he, of course, has never achieved his Level V, nor has he ever been a Wing/CC or Region/CC.

Now, that may or may not make him the best candidate for the job, but I would submit that his experience in CAP-USAF is sufficient to at least merit his consideration for such a role, and would merit a waiver of the Level V and Wing/Region Command requirements.

JeffDG

Quote from: Alaric on April 09, 2014, 06:36:21 PM

Well, if they didn't have waiver authority, the BoG has the authority to simply amend the C&BL of CAP.  So, if they wanted to, they can amend the requirements at any time they deem it to be appropriate to do so.  The C&BL simply formalizes this authority in this instance by granting them the ability to waive the requirement.