Main Menu

Old CAP reference

Started by Dracosbane, April 02, 2014, 07:05:11 PM

Dracosbane

I was just watching an old re-run of Magnum, P.I. where Magnum is at the beginning trying to become a helo pilot, and at the end, stuck in a single engine plane trying to land it with no experience.

Of course they had the "pilot in the tower talking him down" scene, but what was really awesome was how the guy introduced himself.

"I'm Art, and I'm a CAP pilot."

I wondered if I was hearing correct, and IMDb confirms it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0639705/?ref_=tt_ep_ep14

Unfortunately, they had the guy in a Hawaiian shirt and a Member's Only jacket instead of a CAP uniform or flight suit.

pierson777

Yep, I watched it with closed captioning. It's on Netflix.  He said CAP pilot.  I wonder if had a 101 card that qualified him to talk Magnum down.  I always loved the opening sequence of that show.  There's a great scene where the helicopter is chasing a jeep and the helicopter skids came very close to the ground.

Also from the 80's, I recall CAP was mentioned in the Mathew Broderick film "Project X" and in the first "Iron Eagle" movie.  Even further back, there almost a strong mention (more like a commercial) for CAP that was written into the storyline of an episode of the 70's show "Room 222".

I sometimes wish a movie or show would incorporate CAP today, but I fear that they would get it wrong even with a CAP advisor, and we would look bad.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Garibaldi

Quote from: pierson777 on April 02, 2014, 07:42:33 PM
Yep, I watched it with closed captioning. It's on Netflix.  He said CAP pilot.  I wonder if had a 101 card that qualified him to talk Magnum down.  I always loved the opening sequence of that show.  There's a great scene where the helicopter is chasing a jeep and the helicopter skids came very close to the ground.

Also from the 80's, I recall CAP was mentioned in the Mathew Broderick film "Project X" and in the first "Iron Eagle" movie.  Even further back, there almost a strong mention (more like a commercial) for CAP that was written into the storyline of an episode of the 70's show "Room 222".

I do recall the reference to Matthew Broderick being "removed from duty with the Civil Air Patrol" but I don't recall any mention of CAP in the Iron Eagle movies. Although I have to say that Doug Masters would have been brought up on charges regarding the stealing of (I)AF property and impersonating an officer.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

brent.teal

I remember a mention of CAP in a baywatch episode.  The hoff was missing and someone asked should we call CAP and they were told no. 

What would make an excellent movie would be about our history during WWII and our sub hunting days. 

Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: brent.teal on November 28, 2014, 10:28:05 PM
I remember a mention of CAP in a baywatch episode.  The hoff was missing and someone asked should we call CAP and they were told no. 

What would make an excellent movie would be about our history during WWII and our sub hunting days.

Would seem pretty boring...spot some subs. Bomb some whales...

Fubar

Quote from: brent.teal on November 28, 2014, 10:28:05 PM

I had no idea Baywatch was so realistic.