Senior Member Recruiting

Started by majdomke, March 18, 2014, 01:57:31 AM

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2014, 04:35:49 PM
The VFWs themselves are struggling with membership these days because, for the most part, the younger generation of the last few wars are not "joiners".

Speaking to a VFW member yesterday, he pretty much told me the same thing, adding the only reason they're able to pay the bills is because "associate members" (people who don't meet the VFW criteria for full membership, but is "sponsored" by a full VFW member) keep the place running.  "Without the Associate Members, we would have closed the doors a long time ago."

Spaceman3750

VFW's may be interested in writing a check or helping you in other ways, but they are generally not very fertile for actual members.

In most cases the membership is relatively old, and they are already involved in a service organization...the VFW.

The VFWs themselves are struggling with membership these days because, for the most part, the younger generation of
the last few wars are not "joiners".

In doing presentations to local VFWs aorund me, we have been met with polite indifference.

That said, they are great community partners. They host our banquet for a very good price ($10/head including a fried chicken dinner) and enjoy presenting our VFW cadet awards.

majdomke

Quote from: SunDog on March 24, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
I'm a wee bit touchy about the rancor concerning pilots - it takes a deal of time to stay current and proficicent as a MP - the way CAP manges things, any training mission usually works out to most of a full day. You'll understand if I don't want to volunteer to herd cadets the next day, as well.
Curious who this comment is directed at

Cliff_Chambliss

As an idea:  contact the HR department of local companies.  Our company as well as several other I am am familiar with "expect" the employees to do 40 to 80 hours community volunteer work each year.  active membership in Boy Scouts, Explorers, Girl Scouts, CAP, and other groups are on the approved community list along with Habitat projects, etc.  But had someone not sat down with the HR Person and explained the program they would not have known of it and it would not be on the approved list.
HR will not do recruiting but they will say here is a list of approved volunteer organizations and contact points.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

HGjunkie

40hrs in CAP is a drop in the bucket if you're active enough.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SunDog

Quote from: captdomke on March 24, 2014, 07:54:47 PM
Quote from: SunDog on March 24, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
I'm a wee bit touchy about the rancor concerning pilots - it takes a deal of time to stay current and proficicent as a MP - the way CAP manges things, any training mission usually works out to most of a full day. You'll understand if I don't want to volunteer to herd cadets the next day, as well.
Curious who this comment is directed at
No one in particular, it just comes up from time to time. Glad to let it go here, and not hijack the thread.

SunDog

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 24, 2014, 07:56:16 PM
As an idea:  contact the HR department of local companies.  Our company as well as several other I am am familiar with "expect" the employees to do 40 to 80 hours community volunteer work each year.  active membership in Boy Scouts, Explorers, Girl Scouts, CAP, and other groups are on the approved community list along with Habitat projects, etc.  But had someone not sat down with the HR Person and explained the program they would not have known of it and it would not be on the approved list.
HR will not do recruiting but they will say here is a list of approved volunteer organizations and contact points.
Gad, that's tacky - forced free labor. . .Got an approved list, too! Don't be " volunteering" fir somthin we don't like. . .Talk about missing the point. . .

But back to CAP senior recruiting (as opposed to Shanghaing 'em or press gangs)  -  DOD has a rolling list of recent seperations, with contact info. No phone numbers, but mailing addresses, with zip codes. Wonder if they'd share it with CAP? They pass it around between the services, and it is often used by Reserve recruiting; can be culled for particular specialties, etc.  If it's legal, maybe Defense Manpower woukd alliw CAP  to use it for focused mailings. . .

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have seen a variety of reasons people join CAP, some good, some otherwise, in no particular order.

1. To fly on the Air Force's nickel.
2. Their kid is a cadet (and the parent becomes an active member).
3. Their significant other is a pilot and they want to be able to ride in CAP airplanes but could give a rat's bum about participating.
4. Veterans who still want to do their bit.
5. Community-minded people looking for an outlet for their altruistic energies.
6. To be able to (falsely) tell people, "I'm in the Air Force, see my uniform?"  Thankfully those are few.
7. Cadets who try to be R Lee Ermey (seen it, and have disciplined cadets for it).
8. They just looooovvvveee things with wings.
9. They couldn't qualify for the Armed Forces, so this is the next-best-thing.
10. Those who just want to fly, fly, fly and to heck with AE or CP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: SunDog on March 25, 2014, 02:36:45 AM
Gad, that's tacky - forced free labor. . .Got an approved list, too! Don't be " volunteering" fir somthin we don't like. . .Talk about missing the point. . .

But back to CAP senior recruiting (as opposed to Shanghaing 'em or press gangs)  -  DOD has a rolling list of recent seperations, with contact info. No phone numbers, but mailing addresses, with zip codes. Wonder if they'd share it with CAP? They pass it around between the services, and it is often used by Reserve recruiting; can be culled for particular specialties, etc.  If it's legal, maybe Defense Manpower woukd alliw CAP  to use it for focused mailings. . .

No, not "Forced Labor".  Community relations and being a good neighbor.  As far as the approved list is concerned, it is not a "pick one from the list".  CAP was not on the list until someone (not me) listed CAP as their volunteer organization.  Since my wife and I are both very active with animal rescue and do volunteer work with the zoo, and have for years long before I went to work here, I listed the zoo and all is well.  The program is not "Forced Labor" but get out and do something for your community. 
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Private Investigator

VFW's may be interested in writing a check or helping you in other ways, but they are generally not very fertile for actual members.

In most cases the membership is relatively old, and they are already involved in a service organization...the VFW.

The VFWs themselves are struggling with membership these days because, for the most part, the younger generation of
the last few wars are not "joiners".

In doing presentations to local VFWs aorund me, we have been met with polite indifference.

I concur. VFW is for the older group of Veterans, the American Legion is the younger generation of Veterans, IMHO. So you can guess which one I belong too.   8)

Storm Chaser

As many have mentioned before, the best way to recruit is to target your efforts in those areas in which you want to recruit. You also need to make sure expectations are realistic. If you recruit a prospective pilot with promises of CAP flying, but don't have a plane readily available, you're going to lose that member. If you want to recruit senior members, you need to make sure you have a robust senior program in place. If you need to build one, then make sure new members are aware of the transition period and are willing to wait until you can accomplish those goals.

RiverAux

DOD has a rolling list of recent seperations, with contact info. No phone numbers, but mailing addresses, with zip codes. Wonder if they'd share it with CAP? They pass it around between the services, and it is often used by Reserve recruiting; can be culled for particular specialties, etc.  If it's legal, maybe Defense Manpower woukd alliw CAP  to use it for focused mailings. . .

You would hope that this common sense and fairly obvious step would have been taken long ago.  Also, a list of military retirees would also seem to be a fertile recruiting ground. 

There are some privacy issues that could prevent such a move, but I think those could be worked around (we send over a box of stamped letters and they slap on the address labels and we never see them, would be one way.)

SunDog

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 25, 2014, 01:41:40 PM

No, not "Forced Labor".  Community relations and being a good neighbor.  As far as the approved list is concerned, it is not a "pick one from the list".  CAP was not on the list until someone (not me) listed CAP as their volunteer organization.  Since my wife and I are both very active with animal rescue and do volunteer work with the zoo, and have for years long before I went to work here, I listed the zoo and all is well.  The program is not "Forced Labor" but get out and do something for your community.

My bad - I read your "expected" as meaning your employer, well, expected employees to volunteer.  If that's the case, it sure is good PR for your company, costs them nothing, they look like good guys, and the employees get to donate a week or two of thier personal time. Whether they want to or not?

Guess I'm too mercantile  -  don't need a corporate level conscience directing my personal time.  I kinda subscribe to the traditional defintion of "volunteer".  Must be a lot of fun for folks working on advanced degrees, or acting as care givers at home. Or building an airplane, or writing a book.

Some school districts insist on it too; forced volunteerism. Oxymoron, like Liberal Thinking. . .still, it's cool you help with animal rescue, and like it, and it satisfies the company dogma. And it is beng a good neighbor.

How much employer grief would you get if you didn't have the time to spare, or you personal world view didn't include being a good neighbor?

Panache

Quote from: SunDog on March 26, 2014, 03:20:09 AM
Some school districts insist on it too; forced volunteerism. Oxymoron, like Liberal Thinking. . .

Fire for effect!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: SunDog on March 26, 2014, 03:20:09 AM

My bad - I read your "expected" as meaning your employer, well, expected employees to volunteer.  If that's the case, it sure is good PR for your company, costs them nothing, they look like good guys, and the employees get to donate a week or two of thier personal time. Whether they want to or not?

Guess I'm too mercantile  -  don't need a corporate level conscience directing my personal time.  I kinda subscribe to the traditional defintion of "volunteer".  Must be a lot of fun for folks working on advanced degrees, or acting as care givers at home. Or building an airplane, or writing a book.

Some school districts insist on it too; forced volunteerism. Oxymoron, like Liberal Thinking. . .still, it's cool you help with animal rescue, and like it, and it satisfies the company dogma. And it is beng a good neighbor.

How much employer grief would you get if you didn't have the time to spare, or you personal world view didn't include being a good neighbor?

I read it as a requirement also!  My last employer *required* manager grades to donate a significant portion of their spare time (I forget the exact % as I've managed to erase most of my time there from the conscious memory) to community activities.  Never have I seen a rule more ignored, by both sides.  There were several CAP members across the country who worked there and our time with CAP, or our local church, or zoo got ZERO recognition.   >:(    Sorry.  Rant over.   :-X 

Papabird

Is that a good neighbor or a "Good Neighbor"?  I only ask because I work for the second one.  :)  My company also donates $500.00 per year / per employee who volunteers 40+ hours, to that organization.  I always thought that was awesome, but it is not a forced work thing.  About 25-40% of the company does this for various organizations/groups, so there you go.  :)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Papabird on March 27, 2014, 03:31:54 PM

Is that a good neighbor or a "Good Neighbor"?  I only ask because I work for the second one.  :)  My company also donates $500.00 per year / per employee who volunteers 40+ hours, to that organization.  I always thought that was awesome, but it is not a forced work thing.  About 25-40% of the company does this for various organizations/groups, so there you go.  :)

This is pretty much how 90% of my units activities are funded. We should probably rename it the Good Neighbor Composite Squadron.