Senior Member Recruiting

Started by majdomke, March 18, 2014, 01:57:31 AM

majdomke

Our squadron has struggled for the past couple years getting able bodied adults to become senior members. We get some phone calls or emails but almost no one ever shows up. I'm curious what other squadrons do for recruiting adults. Please feel free to respond with your recruiting efforts and what has worked in the past for you. Thank you.

Walkman

My first answer when a recruiting question is asked is "Do you have a quality, exciting program?". Not implying anything with that specifically for you, but units that have good stuff happening are going to be able to bring in new people more easily.

"If you build it, they will come"

If you've got a good program in place already, here's a couple of ideas:

• Focus hard on recruiting for a specific timeframe. Make it a part of the unit culture
  • Fish where they are biting. What does your unit do well? Seek out other groups and communities where you can find like-minded people
  • Recruit with a specific goal (i.e. - We're looking for six new people to be part of a new SAR ground team)
  • Never underestimate the power of a great PAO
  • Get involved in the community. Help with service projects, attend events as a group, help out

RiverAux

Okay, it seems as if you are getting at least a few leads coming in. 

What are you doing with those phone calls and emails that you get? 

Are you sending them information on specific dates and time of the next meeting?  The schedule for upcoming meetings? 

Are you following up if you don't hear back from them?  How often?  You should probably keep inviting them for at least 3 months unless they tell you to stop doing it. 

Are you calling them back or just shooting an email? 

You should also keep track of these leads so that if you do implement a major recruiting drive (the focus of which should be getting people to attend an open house on a specific date and time) so that you can invite them when that time comes. 

But Walkman is correct in that you need to have actual senior member training and other activities going on at your meetings if you want people to come back.  This can be a major problem if your squadron is a cadet unit or a composite squadron that is really acting as a cadet squadron except in name only. 

Based on my experience, if you have a good program going you should be able to get a significant percentage of those who walk in the door to sign up. 

One thing that marketers have learned is that sometimes it takes people 1-2 years to make a decision to do something.  So, even if you've had a guy that you haven't heard from in 18 months it may not hurt to send him a 1 sentence email asking if he still is interested in volunteering with CAP.  Many may have dropped the idea entirely, but some percentage will go, "oh yeah, lets do it!"

majdomke

Ok, perhaps a little history will help...

Squadron re-chartered in 2010 after closing shop in the early 70's. Originally we started with about 8 cadets and 12 seniors. I was the DCC when we started up. I just moved over to CC last Nov. We now have about 28 cadets and 5 seniors who are active. The majority of seniors quit after the first year because they realized they couldn't just come in and become CAP pilots w/o the Form 5. The majority were private pilots who just wanted the rank and wings w/o doing anything to earn them. Just my honest opinion. Of those who stuck around, the average age is around 65. So basically, as the CC and being 45, I'm the youngest active senior in the squadron. My DCC is in his 50's and the rest are in their late 60's and early 70's. Nothing against age but it seems we need younger people who can handle the rigors of training. Our seniors are mostly retired and not looking for something as demanding any more. So, from an attractiveness standpoint, we look pathetic with next to no senior program going on. My focus is now on the senior side after building up the cadet side. I've been doing this for 12 yrs now, both as a cadet in MIWG, and a senior in CAWG. I've focused all my previous time on the cadet program so recruiting and attracting adults is something new to me. The issue with follow-up is that we seem to have several recruitment efforts going on with each one feeding leads to someone other than myself. I hear from the former commander about people who are emailing her and calling her. We never seem to see them. I hear from my DCC who has some listings on Craigslist that also call and email but never materialize. I'm trying to reign it all in. All of our official recruiting and our website only have me as the contact so I'm baffled how people keep contacting the former CC. She doesn't know either. Not being able to control how leads come in is what causes the process to fail. I can't follow-up on people  when I don't have their email or phone numbers. For people who come into the squadron, I have a lead sheet they fill out so I can follow-up. This has worked very well for the cadet side but not for the seniors since we never seem to get them in the door. I have lots of training that I'd like to share and mentor if we can get them in the door. I was successful in recruiting a new finance officer to take over once I became CC. It was one of my former jobs that has been handed off. I now need some new recruits to help out with ES, COMM and AE plus assistants to backfill our existing seniors who are getting tired of carrying the full load. I know this is a "mess" I've inherited and I assume full responsibility of it's future. I'm just looking for ideas on how to reach adults since I'm more familiar with the cadet side. We already do press releases, march in parades, have booths at community events. I'm just looking for some additional ideas as our area adults seems to be hiding under rocks or something.

Cliff_Chambliss

I can tell you how to turn off prospective members real quick.
1.  When you have a visitor let the resident "expert" dazzle him/her with his awesomness and tell how he will mentor them  and show them the real way.
2.  Allow members to "warn" the visitor on their first night about GOBN, Uniforms, Salutes, etc.
3.  Make sure to tell the visitor everything that is wrong with CAP and how they can hepl fix it.
4.  Tell the visitor of every wrong real and/or imagined that has ever been visited upon the squadron.

wonder why they never came back.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Garibaldi

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 18, 2014, 01:39:01 PM
1.  When you have a visitor let the resident "expert" dazzle him/her with his awesomness and tell how he will mentor them  and show them the real way.
2.  Allow members to "warn" the visitor on their first night about GOBN, Uniforms, Salutes, etc.
3.  Make sure to tell the visitor everything that is wrong with CAP and how they can hepl help fix it.
4.  Tell the visitor of every wrong real and/or imagined that has ever been visited upon the squadron.

FTFY

Reminds me of something Jeff Foxworthy said in a book. He was interviewing for his job at IBM and the guy asked him what he considered to be his greatest flaw. He responded, "Hey, I'm trying to sell you a product. I'm not gonna tell you what's wrong with it!" So, we should put our best face on and let the prospective members see the wrinkles and flaws on their own. Lord knows I did.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Private Investigator

Quote from: captdomke on March 18, 2014, 03:07:01 AM
Originally we started with about 8 cadets and 12 seniors. I was the DCC when we started up. I just moved over to CC last Nov. We now have about 28 cadets and 5 seniors who are active.

I know this is a "mess" I've inherited and I assume full responsibility of it's future.

Did you get a corporate plane as a Composite SQ? If you have no plane just focus on the Cadet Program aspect. Do not try to be something you are not, i.e. high speed, low drag SAR Unit. Because you are getting Cadets you should focus on that first.

On #2 do not create a personal problem for yourself doing the CAP thing. Over the years I have known a few people who let their businesses suffer because they enjoyed the CAP.

majdomke

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 18, 2014, 01:39:01 PM
1.  When you have a visitor let the resident "expert" dazzle him/her with his awesomeness and tell how he will mentor them  and show them the real way.
3.  Make sure to tell the visitor everything that is wrong with CAP and how they can help fix it.

I've seen nearly all of the above happen to the few visitors we've seen come in over the past year or so. When I took command, I also assumed the role of Recruiting and Retention Officer in an effort to stop this from happening again.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: Private Investigator on March 18, 2014, 05:26:49 PM
Quote from: captdomke on March 18, 2014, 03:07:01 AM
Originally we started with about 8 cadets and 12 seniors. I was the DCC when we started up. I just moved over to CC last Nov. We now have about 28 cadets and 5 seniors who are active.

I know this is a "mess" I've inherited and I assume full responsibility of it's future.

Did you get a corporate plane as a Composite SQ? If you have no plane just focus on the Cadet Program aspect. Do not try to be something you are not, i.e. high speed, low drag SAR Unit. Because you are getting Cadets you should focus on that first.

On #2 do not create a personal problem for yourself doing the CAP thing. Over the years I have known a few people who let their businesses suffer because they enjoyed the CAP.

Fully endorse what he said but especially the comment re #2.

coudano

Systematically recruiting and retaining quality senior members (ones who actively pull load for the squadron) (and stick around for a while) is just very difficult.
I don't know anybody who has figured it out.

If you figure it out, and can share replicable TTP, I say Exceptional Service Award to you (!)

THRAWN

Do some actual recruiting, not just hiring people that wander in off the street. If you need pilots, target recruit pilots, want a chaplain, target recruit chaplains, etc. Setting up a table at an airshow or a flea market is fine, but it's shotgunning. Identify your needs, and target them.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Walkman

Quote from: THRAWN on March 19, 2014, 11:48:06 AM
Do some actual recruiting, not just hiring people that wander in off the street. If you need pilots, target recruit pilots, want a chaplain, target recruit chaplains, etc. Setting up a table at an airshow or a flea market is fine, but it's shotgunning. Identify your needs, and target them.

I've been working on that idea. Still haven't gotten it all figured out yet, but I agree. We need a PAO, so I'm starting to network with PR professionals in the area to see if I can directly recruit one.

THRAWN

Quote from: Walkman on March 19, 2014, 03:29:02 PM

I've been working on that idea. Still haven't gotten it all figured out yet, but I agree. We need a PAO, so I'm starting to network with PR professionals in the area to see if I can directly recruit one.

Why just PR pros? How about some local journalists, or even journalism students from your local colleges? Try to attract more than one, so that all of your media types will be covered.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Walkman

Quote from: THRAWN on March 19, 2014, 04:03:41 PM
Why just PR pros? How about some local journalists, or even journalism students from your local colleges? Try to attract more than one, so that all of your media types will be covered.

Good point, it was a starting point.

THRAWN

Quote from: Walkman on March 19, 2014, 04:07:55 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on March 19, 2014, 04:03:41 PM

Good point, it was a starting point.

Gotta start somewhere! Good luck!
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Private Investigator

Quote from: Walkman on March 19, 2014, 03:29:02 PM

We needed a PAO once and we got a newspaper guy. He wanted his "Master" rating immediately to cover his 25+ years of experience. He thought everything was "suggested" and wrote NHQ that they should follow his lead as a "professional" and promote him to his ability which he thought should be "major".  8)

Shuman 14

Might I suggest  finding out when the your local Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion and other veterans service organizations are holding their monthly meetings and ask to be put on their agenda.

Be prepared to give a brief 10-15 minute presentation on CAP and you'd be surprised how many interested parties you will get.

Most VSOs promote Americanism development and have awards for ROTC and JROTC, and other cadet programs and are actively looking for cadets to recognize.

So you help them and they can help you with possible new recruits.

Keep in mind you may just get the ones that want a chance to wear a uniform again, but as others have pointed out, if you have a good program, they may have joined for that but STAY because they enjoy what you are doing.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

majdomke

Quote from: shuman14 on March 19, 2014, 10:55:34 PM
Might I suggest  finding out when the your local Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion and other veterans service organizations are holding their monthly meetings and ask to be put on their agenda.

Be prepared to give a brief 10-15 minute presentation on CAP and you'd be surprised how many interested parties you will get.

Most VSOs promote Americanism development and have awards for ROTC and JROTC, and other cadet programs and are actively looking for cadets to recognize.

So you help them and they can help you with possible new recruits.

Keep in mind you may just get the ones that want a chance to wear a uniform again, but as others have pointed out, if you have a good program, they may have joined for that but STAY because they enjoy what you are doing.
Thanks for the tips... I've gathered the list of local service groups and will reach out to them. Hopefully I can get on the agenda and find some new recruits. I'm also going to look for the local aviation groups and see if they have meetings I can attend as well.

Eclipse

VFW's may be interested in writing a check or helping you in other ways, but they are generally not very fertile for actual members.

In most cases the membership is relatively old, and they are already involved in a service organization...the VFW.

The VFWs themselves are struggling with membership these days because, for the most part, the younger generation of
the last few wars are not "joiners".

In doing presentations to local VFWs aorund me, we have been met with polite indifference.

"That Others May Zoom"

SunDog

Howdy - not sure where you go for the info, but you might try mining old claims.  Some people (seems especially pilots) step away for a while, then can be lured back.  If you can get hands on your Wing's list of members, you'll likely find a large number who have been inactive a long time. But if they keep renewing, maybe there is an element of "going back someday" that you can tap into?

I'm a wee bit touchy about the rancor concerning pilots - it takes a deal of time to stay current and proficicent as a MP - the way CAP manges things, any training mission usually works out to most of a full day. You'll understand if I don't want to volunteer to herd cadets the next day, as well.

But Form 5 only is another case, as you say. If a form 5 guy isn't working on MP or other pilot qual, he/she should have time to help out around the squadron.  For youth - if you have a military base nearby, you might talk to MWR, or post some stuff in the gym, etc. I think USAF basically "forces" volunteer work on their folks now. . .CAP might be as, or more, attractive than some other alternatives?

If still hitting a dry hole - maybe go after some parents? Sort of dancing with the devil, and I've heard if you get a wrong 'un, life will be bad.  Likely they'll be gone when Jane or Johnny lose interest or leave for college. But could fil the holes for a bit.

Panache

Quote from: Eclipse on March 24, 2014, 04:35:49 PM
The VFWs themselves are struggling with membership these days because, for the most part, the younger generation of the last few wars are not "joiners".

Speaking to a VFW member yesterday, he pretty much told me the same thing, adding the only reason they're able to pay the bills is because "associate members" (people who don't meet the VFW criteria for full membership, but is "sponsored" by a full VFW member) keep the place running.  "Without the Associate Members, we would have closed the doors a long time ago."

Spaceman3750

VFW's may be interested in writing a check or helping you in other ways, but they are generally not very fertile for actual members.

In most cases the membership is relatively old, and they are already involved in a service organization...the VFW.

The VFWs themselves are struggling with membership these days because, for the most part, the younger generation of

In doing presentations to local VFWs aorund me, we have been met with polite indifference.

That said, they are great community partners. They host our banquet for a very good price ($10/head including a fried chicken dinner) and enjoy presenting our VFW cadet awards.

majdomke

Quote from: SunDog on March 24, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
I'm a wee bit touchy about the rancor concerning pilots - it takes a deal of time to stay current and proficicent as a MP - the way CAP manges things, any training mission usually works out to most of a full day. You'll understand if I don't want to volunteer to herd cadets the next day, as well.
Curious who this comment is directed at

Cliff_Chambliss

As an idea:  contact the HR department of local companies.  Our company as well as several other I am am familiar with "expect" the employees to do 40 to 80 hours community volunteer work each year.  active membership in Boy Scouts, Explorers, Girl Scouts, CAP, and other groups are on the approved community list along with Habitat projects, etc.  But had someone not sat down with the HR Person and explained the program they would not have known of it and it would not be on the approved list.
HR will not do recruiting but they will say here is a list of approved volunteer organizations and contact points.
3d Infantry Division

HGjunkie

40hrs in CAP is a drop in the bucket if you're active enough.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SunDog

Quote from: captdomke on March 24, 2014, 07:54:47 PM
Quote from: SunDog on March 24, 2014, 07:33:54 PM
Curious who this comment is directed at
No one in particular, it just comes up from time to time. Glad to let it go here, and not hijack the thread.

SunDog

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 24, 2014, 07:56:16 PM
As an idea:  contact the HR department of local companies.  Our company as well as several other I am am familiar with "expect" the employees to do 40 to 80 hours community volunteer work each year.  active membership in Boy Scouts, Explorers, Girl Scouts, CAP, and other groups are on the approved community list along with Habitat projects, etc.  But had someone not sat down with the HR Person and explained the program they would not have known of it and it would not be on the approved list.
HR will not do recruiting but they will say here is a list of approved volunteer organizations and contact points.
Gad, that's tacky - forced free labor. . .Got an approved list, too! Don't be " volunteering" fir somthin we don't like. . .Talk about missing the point. . .

But back to CAP senior recruiting (as opposed to Shanghaing 'em or press gangs)  -  DOD has a rolling list of recent seperations, with contact info. No phone numbers, but mailing addresses, with zip codes. Wonder if they'd share it with CAP? They pass it around between the services, and it is often used by Reserve recruiting; can be culled for particular specialties, etc.  If it's legal, maybe Defense Manpower woukd alliw CAP  to use it for focused mailings. . .

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have seen a variety of reasons people join CAP, some good, some otherwise, in no particular order.

1. To fly on the Air Force's nickel.
2. Their kid is a cadet (and the parent becomes an active member).
3. Their significant other is a pilot and they want to be able to ride in CAP airplanes but could give a rat's bum about participating.
4. Veterans who still want to do their bit.
5. Community-minded people looking for an outlet for their altruistic energies.
6. To be able to (falsely) tell people, "I'm in the Air Force, see my uniform?"  Thankfully those are few.
7. Cadets who try to be R Lee Ermey (seen it, and have disciplined cadets for it).
8. They just looooovvvveee things with wings.
9. They couldn't qualify for the Armed Forces, so this is the next-best-thing.
10. Those who just want to fly, fly, fly and to heck with AE or CP.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: SunDog on March 25, 2014, 02:36:45 AM
Gad, that's tacky - forced free labor. . .Got an approved list, too! Don't be " volunteering" fir somthin we don't like. . .Talk about missing the point. . .

But back to CAP senior recruiting (as opposed to Shanghaing 'em or press gangs)  -  DOD has a rolling list of recent seperations, with contact info. No phone numbers, but mailing addresses, with zip codes. Wonder if they'd share it with CAP? They pass it around between the services, and it is often used by Reserve recruiting; can be culled for particular specialties, etc.  If it's legal, maybe Defense Manpower woukd alliw CAP  to use it for focused mailings. . .

No, not "Forced Labor".  Community relations and being a good neighbor.  As far as the approved list is concerned, it is not a "pick one from the list".  CAP was not on the list until someone (not me) listed CAP as their volunteer organization.  Since my wife and I are both very active with animal rescue and do volunteer work with the zoo, and have for years long before I went to work here, I listed the zoo and all is well.  The program is not "Forced Labor" but get out and do something for your community. 
3d Infantry Division

Private Investigator

I concur. VFW is for the older group of Veterans, the American Legion is the younger generation of Veterans, IMHO. So you can guess which one I belong too.   8)

Storm Chaser

As many have mentioned before, the best way to recruit is to target your efforts in those areas in which you want to recruit. You also need to make sure expectations are realistic. If you recruit a prospective pilot with promises of CAP flying, but don't have a plane readily available, you're going to lose that member. If you want to recruit senior members, you need to make sure you have a robust senior program in place. If you need to build one, then make sure new members are aware of the transition period and are willing to wait until you can accomplish those goals.

RiverAux

DOD has a rolling list of recent seperations, with contact info. No phone numbers, but mailing addresses, with zip codes. Wonder if they'd share it with CAP? They pass it around between the services, and it is often used by Reserve recruiting; can be culled for particular specialties, etc.  If it's legal, maybe Defense Manpower woukd alliw CAP  to use it for focused mailings. . .

You would hope that this common sense and fairly obvious step would have been taken long ago.  Also, a list of military retirees would also seem to be a fertile recruiting ground. 

There are some privacy issues that could prevent such a move, but I think those could be worked around (we send over a box of stamped letters and they slap on the address labels and we never see them, would be one way.)

SunDog

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on March 25, 2014, 01:41:40 PM

No, not "Forced Labor".  Community relations and being a good neighbor.  As far as the approved list is concerned, it is not a "pick one from the list".  CAP was not on the list until someone (not me) listed CAP as their volunteer organization.  Since my wife and I are both very active with animal rescue and do volunteer work with the zoo, and have for years long before I went to work here, I listed the zoo and all is well.  The program is not "Forced Labor" but get out and do something for your community.

My bad - I read your "expected" as meaning your employer, well, expected employees to volunteer.  If that's the case, it sure is good PR for your company, costs them nothing, they look like good guys, and the employees get to donate a week or two of thier personal time. Whether they want to or not?

Guess I'm too mercantile  -  don't need a corporate level conscience directing my personal time.  I kinda subscribe to the traditional defintion of "volunteer".  Must be a lot of fun for folks working on advanced degrees, or acting as care givers at home. Or building an airplane, or writing a book.

Some school districts insist on it too; forced volunteerism. Oxymoron, like Liberal Thinking. . .still, it's cool you help with animal rescue, and like it, and it satisfies the company dogma. And it is beng a good neighbor.

How much employer grief would you get if you didn't have the time to spare, or you personal world view didn't include being a good neighbor?

Panache

Quote from: SunDog on March 26, 2014, 03:20:09 AM
Some school districts insist on it too; forced volunteerism. Oxymoron, like Liberal Thinking. . .

Fire for effect!

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: SunDog on March 26, 2014, 03:20:09 AM

My bad - I read your "expected" as meaning your employer, well, expected employees to volunteer.  If that's the case, it sure is good PR for your company, costs them nothing, they look like good guys, and the employees get to donate a week or two of thier personal time. Whether they want to or not?

Guess I'm too mercantile  -  don't need a corporate level conscience directing my personal time.  I kinda subscribe to the traditional defintion of "volunteer".  Must be a lot of fun for folks working on advanced degrees, or acting as care givers at home. Or building an airplane, or writing a book.

Some school districts insist on it too; forced volunteerism. Oxymoron, like Liberal Thinking. . .still, it's cool you help with animal rescue, and like it, and it satisfies the company dogma. And it is beng a good neighbor.

How much employer grief would you get if you didn't have the time to spare, or you personal world view didn't include being a good neighbor?

I read it as a requirement also!  My last employer *required* manager grades to donate a significant portion of their spare time (I forget the exact % as I've managed to erase most of my time there from the conscious memory) to community activities.  Never have I seen a rule more ignored, by both sides.  There were several CAP members across the country who worked there and our time with CAP, or our local church, or zoo got ZERO recognition.   >:(    Sorry.  Rant over.   :-X 

Papabird

Is that a good neighbor or a "Good Neighbor"?  I only ask because I work for the second one.  :)  My company also donates $500.00 per year / per employee who volunteers 40+ hours, to that organization.  I always thought that was awesome, but it is not a forced work thing.  About 25-40% of the company does this for various organizations/groups, so there you go.  :)
Michael Willis, Lt. Col CAP
Georgia Wing

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Papabird on March 27, 2014, 03:31:54 PM

Is that a good neighbor or a "Good Neighbor"?  I only ask because I work for the second one.  :)  My company also donates $500.00 per year / per employee who volunteers 40+ hours, to that organization.  I always thought that was awesome, but it is not a forced work thing.  About 25-40% of the company does this for various organizations/groups, so there you go.  :)

This is pretty much how 90% of my units activities are funded. We should probably rename it the Good Neighbor Composite Squadron.