Did we ever fly the T-6 Texan/Harvard?

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, March 07, 2014, 05:51:38 PM

AirAux

Did we possibly fly the T-6's for target towing during WW-II or later??

bosshawk

CAWG had a T-34 at San Carlos as late as 94-95.  I had a form 5 in that airplane and flew it a number of times.  The T-34s all got sold when National deemed them too expensive to maintain.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Private Investigator

Quote from: bosshawk on January 21, 2015, 07:49:11 AM
CAWG had a T-34 at San Carlos as late as 94-95.  I had a form 5 in that airplane and flew it a number of times.  The T-34s all got sold when National deemed them too expensive to maintain.

That brings up a good question. What was the cost of T-34 as compared to a C-182, twice as much, triple?

bflynn

Quote from: a2capt on March 13, 2014, 09:19:46 PM

QuoteAccording to Ron Stearns, "By the very early 1960s, the [CAP] squadron grew to near 25 T-6/SNJ/Harvard aircraft, five T-28s and three C-45s."
.. There are barely that many aircraft in the whole wing now. Somehow that had to be member owned.

Researched the tail number of N7295C - it was never owned by CAP, it was sold from the Navy to a private individual in 1963. 

The one in the front is almost certainly N10602, which was also privately owned and sold in 1973, but the earlier history of the airplane isn't clear.

Cannot find anything on 31960, it's not in the registry.  The number was reissued to a PA-32 in 1978.

Other numbers are incomplete.

bosshawk

Question on the cost of flying a T-34: don't remember it as being any more expensive than the 182 that I also flew in CAP.  Flown properly, it had a fuel burn about the same.   I have a Beech Debonair that actually burns less than a 182 and certainly less than a 206.  The T-34 was actually fun to fly: great visibility and highly maneuverable: not too different from my Debonair.  The 34 had more flair to the outsider than a mundane 182 or 206.

Those T-6s that are pictured above were very definitely member-owned.  In fact, there is a guy on CAWG staff right now who owned one of them.

There is a former CAP T-41 based at my home field.  It still has the basic CAP paint job, with no markings.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Private Investigator

^ Colonel thank you for sharing sir.  :clap: