56 day rule + wing conference

Started by Toth, March 07, 2014, 04:26:56 AM

Toth

Hello all,
So I am a C/SrA, and my wing conference is in 8 days. I am eligible to rank up in 12 days. Is there any way for me to become a C/SSgt before wing conference? I know how the 56 day rule works, but missing being an NCO at wing conference because of four days seems a little harsh.
Best,
C/SrA TM
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

LSThiker

So following rules is "a little harsh"?

Panache

Cadet:

Short answer is "no".

For what it's worth, I'm probably going to miss this year's Wing Conference being a Captain by a month (Conference is in May, I make my time-in-grade requirement in June) so I feel your pain.  Learning to understand that sometimes the timing just doesn't work out to your advantage, and learning to adapt to that, is part of adulthood, I'm afraid.

SarDragon

Rank up? Really? Where did that come from? Is that anything like throw up?  ;)

I believe the appropriate term is promote. It sounds so much more elegant.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Part of being the next higher grade is time in the current one.

This is not a race to the top.

Promotions are not guaranteed.
Quote from: SarDragon on March 07, 2014, 05:40:09 AMRank up? Really? Where did that come from?
Comes from playing too many video games. ;)

Mitchell 1969

Why the urgency? It's not as if cadet NCOs get a suite upgrade or a bigger helping of rubber chicken at the Wing Conference banquet.

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Huey Driver

My Mitchell Award was approved one day after NCSA applications were due + finalized, so I got slotted with Wright Bros being my highest award, and missed the opportunity to apply for COS that year. Did it matter? No, and I still attended the NCSAs that I wanted to.

Congrats on the promotion, Sergeant, but this too shall pass.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Майор Хаткевич

56 days is the bare minimum. Most cadet average at least 3-4 months per achievement over the long run. That said, the rule as hard and set in stone. The system will not even allow it to be processed that way.

Storm Chaser

Other than showing off your new grade insignia and ribbon, it makes no difference to attend the Wing Conference as a C/SrA or C/SSgt. I could understand if you were talking about an activity with minimum grade requirements, which this is not.

Be patience and wait your time. And more importantly, make sure you're ready to assume the additional responsibilities that come with being a C/NCO.

Private Investigator

Quote from: JerseyCadet on March 07, 2014, 05:49:53 AM
My Mitchell Award was approved one day after NCSA applications were due + finalized, so I got slotted with Wright Bros being my highest award, and missed the opportunity to apply for COS that year. Did it matter? No, and I still attended the NCSAs that I wanted to.

Congrats on the promotion, Sergeant, but this too shall pass.

#1 best answer.  8)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Danger

I'll be getting C/Capt 3 days after my wing's conference. But, there's no shame in being a First Lieutenant, and there's no shame in being a Senior Airman, as long as you be the best [darn] cadet you can be.
"Never take anything too seriously."

pierson777

Nope.  It can't and shouldn't be done.  Just go with the program as it exists including the proper time between promotions.  Anyone that would "pin it" on you before updating eServices would be doing you a disservice.  I've actually seen something like this at an encampment when a cadet got in a little hot when he showed up with a higher grade than reflected on his records.  He had earned the promotion, but lacked the time in grade.  His Deputy Commander for Cadets said it would be okay to wear the next grade up.  Bad idea.

Many of us have had similar experiences.  I understand your motivation to promote quickly.  Be patient, it'll come.  I say look forward to next year's conference when you can show up as a cadet officer (if you can promote at every opportunity). 

Panache

Cadet Toth hasn't been back since posting this, so it appears he wasn't too concerned about it.

I suggest the thread be locked.

a2capt

Quote from: Panache on March 13, 2014, 04:49:42 AMI suggest the thread be locked.
Why? It's a valid subject that could spur additional discussion. With that mentality, pretty much every thread should be locked. Move along.

Panache

Quote from: a2capt on March 13, 2014, 04:35:38 PM
Quote from: Panache on March 13, 2014, 04:49:42 AMI suggest the thread be locked.
Why? It's a valid subject that could spur additional discussion.

Um.  Riiiight.  I'm not sure what else can be said that has been said ("No, there is no waiver, just wait,") but if this thread revs your engine, hey, have at it.

pierson777

I agree, keep this topic open a bit longer, especially considering his wing's conference hasn't even happened yet.  Hopefully the Toth will chime in again once the conference occurs.  So, Toth, how about?  After tomorrow, let us know how the conference was, and if not being a C/SSgt made any significant difference in your experience.

Toth

So in the end I did go as a C/SrA and it didn't make much of a difference, I am now a C/SSgt and the Cadet Commander's Adjutant of my squadron. Thanks for all your help and sarcastic remarks ::) Cheers!
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

Eclipse

Quote from: Toth on April 12, 2014, 04:51:54 AM
So in the end I did go as a C/SrA and it didn't make much of a difference, I am now a C/SSgt and the Cadet Commander's Adjutant of my squadron. Thanks for all your help and sarcastic remarks ::) Cheers!

A what now?

"That Others May Zoom"

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006