Staff interveiws

Started by Nearly Dark Side, February 28, 2014, 06:00:44 PM

Nearly Dark Side

So I will be helping to interview cadets in my flight for staff positions Element Leader through Flight Commander. My concerns are that my squadron is small and I am friends with just about every cadet. But I also can't be replaced by someone that isn't so friendly with the flight members because there are no such replacements. We are a fairly tight knit squadron. So as I prepare to go into these interviews in about a month I am trying to figure out how to separate my friendship with the staff applicants and my duty to select the cadets most capable of performing their duties. I think this is an excellent opportunity to learn and hone this skill because I know that it may well become crucial in my time in CAP and in my career. Does anyone that has a decent amount of experience in this area have any advice to get me started? Thank you in advance.

talldude

I am having somewhat of the same issue at my current squadron. I will be interviewing 3 Cadets For a Flight Sergeant Position, within the next two weeks - two of them are in the flight that I am the Flight Commander of... This makes it a lot tougher.

Quote from: C/2d Lt Collins on February 28, 2014, 06:00:44 PM
So I will be helping to interview cadets in my flight for staff positions Element Leader through Flight Commander.
Will you be in charge of leading the interviews? Will there be other Cadets/SM's in the interview with you?
{This info may help other CAPTalk Members answer with better advice}

P.S. The Cadet Staff Handbook has some helpful information on selecting and interviewing Cadets.
C/2d Lt TallDude..

arajca

A couple of suggestions:
1. Figure out how many questions you get to ask.
2. WRITE THEM DOWN on a separate sheet for each candidate.
3. Ask each candidate the same questions in the same order.
4. As they answer, write their answer down.

Interviewing, both as the interviewer and interviewee, is a very valuable skill. It's one reason to hold cadet promotion boards.

Nearly Dark Side

I will no be in charge of the interview, that duty will fall to a C/1st Lt. I am one of three interviewers. Thank you both, arajca I will talk to the cadet leading the interview to see how many questions I will be allowed to ask.