NBB and PJOC Questions

Started by Toth, January 15, 2014, 06:18:07 PM

Toth

Hi,
I am a C/A1C from MT Wing, and I want to attend Blue Beret or PJOC this year. I was looking for some general reviews of the two events, and I have some questions. First, do I need to have attended a basic encampment to attend these events? Also, what rank is recommended to have attained before attending? I will probably be at least a C/SSgt. before summer rolls around. Also, any general advice about preparing for these events.
Thanks
SM Toth Mendius, CAP
C/CC RMR-MT-053 (ret.), RMR Ass't Rep NCAC (ret.)
Mitchell #65174, Earhart #17361
GES, ♦ICUT, ♦FLM, GTM3, UDF, SET, MS, MRO, EMT, *GTM2

jeders

Quote from: Toth on January 15, 2014, 06:18:07 PM
Hi...

Hello, and welcome.

...First, do I need to have attended a basic encampment to attend these events?

Yes. You must have completed a basic encampment before applying for any NCSA. I'm assuming that you've not yet done that, so my recommendation is to go to encampment this summer and apply for NCSAs next year.

Thanks

You're welcome.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

MIKE

You need to have attended an encampment to attend either NBB or PJOC.
Mike Johnston

PA Guy

Go to www.ncsas.com  This site will give you a brief synopsis of each activity. It will also provide you with application deadlines, costs and other important information.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Also, NBB has an age requirement of 16.  So depending on your age, you may have some time.

Toth

I will be turning 16 in about a month, so thats not a problem. The page for NBB does not say that you need a basic encampment to attend, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do. Is there a preferred rank to attend these events? Didn't see anything about that on their pages.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP

jeders

Quote from: Toth on January 15, 2014, 06:51:36 PM
I will be turning 16 in about a month, so thats not a problem. The page for NBB does not say that you need a basic encampment to attend, but I wouldn't be surprised if you do. Is there a preferred rank to attend these events? Didn't see anything about that on their pages.

It doesnt say that a basic encampment is required because every NCSA, except for NESA which is in its own category really, requires a basic encampment.

As far as rank, there really isnt a preferred rank, however, at NBB youre going to see mostly cadet officers and cadet SNCOs. I can't really speak for any other NCSAs, as I've only ever been to NBB.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Storm Chaser

I believe there's no grade requirement to attend NBB. The reason many cadet participants are senior NCOs or officers is mostly due to the age requirement.

The basic encampment completion is a NCSA requirement. If you haven't participated in an encampment yet, I strongly suggest that you do that this summer.

If you're looking for a national activity that doesn't require encampment, NESA is a great option. NESA recommends you complete an encampment, but will consider your application without it.

It's still a good idea to take care of your basic encampment before attending any national activity. The sooner you do it, the better.

PA Guy

If you will go to the link I gave you and click on either of the PJOC logos it will take you to a flyer describing the activity and all requirements  If you move around the site you will find a FAQ page that provides a lot of general questions that include how the selection process works. That should ans. your questions about what role rank plays in the selection process.  Also pay particular attention to the application deadline for activities this yr.

LSThiker

I have seen a C/SrA all the way up to C/Col.  On the NCSA website, it gives you a general idea of how they grade cadets for selection.  Under the FAQ section of the NCSA website, there is a question "how does the slotting work".  It gives you the point scales.

ol'fido

BITD, I seem to remember that the minimum rank for all the NCSAs was c/SSgt except those that had a specific rank requirement like IACE.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

LSThiker

Quote from: ol'fido on January 16, 2014, 12:57:24 AM
BITD, I seem to remember that the minimum rank for all the NCSAs was c/SSgt except those that had a specific rank requirement like IACE.

No such requirement listed in CAPR 52-16, Chapter 8:

Quotea. Application Procedures. National Headquarters announces NCSAs and their pre-requisites and application procedures each fall, online at ncsas.com. Cadets must have graduated from an encampment and received the endorsement of their wing commander before attending an NCSA.

ol'fido

Hence the BITD(Back In The Day) acronym in front of that statement. I don't even think 52-16 was the reg number when I was a cadet. We are talking about 1977-1985 time period here.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

GroundHawg

Quote from: ol'fido on January 16, 2014, 04:14:53 AM
Hence the BITD(Back In The Day) acronym in front of that statement. I don't even think 52-16 was the reg number when I was a cadet. We are talking about 1977-1985 time period here.

It was C/Sgt when I was selected for my first one in 1990. I barely made it in time to apply and get selected, and my selection was based on the stipulation that I was going to encampment BEFORE going to the NCSA.

I was gone that whole summer :)

Eclipse

That's one change I never liked regarding NCSA - it used to be "encampment before", now it's "encampment the prior year".

I understand the reasoning, but prefer it the old way.

I personally know of a few cases where the calendar got ahead of a cadet, and instead of hard-charging their first year and doing encampment and NCSA,
they miss their wing's encampment, which then puts that coveted NCSA 2-3 years out and the next thing you know they aren't around much any more.

"That Others May Zoom"

UWONGO2

I haven't been to PJOC but I have been to NBB. One thing I would emphasize is that NBB is a working environment, meaning the purpose of NBB is not to entertain you but for you to provide volunteer service to the Experimental Aircraft Association. You'll find yourself getting up very early in the morning and on your feet for most of the day, either supplementing the EAA's other volunteer aircraft marshallers or providing perimeter "security" at other airshow displays (such as the Warbirds and the ultralight runway). Additionally, you'll get your turn at kitchen cleanup and guard gate duty (which includes a night shift).

Some cadets get the opportunity to experience some cool tours of aircraft or meet very interesting people in the aviation industry, but it's quite random and nothing is guaranteed. The flight I was with didn't even get a chance to check out the show until the very last day and most of the exhibitors were packing up or had sold out of their interesting wares.

Just remember the purpose of this activity is about supporting the EAA and it's a lot of work to do so. That's not to say you won't have some fun, because you should, you'll simply be working pretty long hours while doing so.

68w20

Quote from: UWONGO2 on January 21, 2014, 11:01:06 PM
Some cadets get the opportunity to experience some cool tours of aircraft or meet very interesting people in the aviation industry, but it's quite random and nothing is guaranteed. The flight I was with didn't even get a chance to check out the show until the very last day and most of the exhibitors were packing up or had sold out of their interesting wares.

Sorry to hear that.  Fortunately, the command staff have made it a point the last few years to ensure that Cadets get more airshow time than they have in the past.  There's also more pressure for them to get off compound during the down time between shifts, meaning that smaller groups have more opportunities to see the exhibits and aircraft that interest them.

MSG Mac

The original poster's question in now moot. The NCSA applications closed on the 15th.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Toth

Just so you all know, I will be attending the Utah Wing Encampment this summer and will be attending Blue Beret next summer. Thank you all for your support and replies.
SM Toth Mendius, CAP