Main Menu

Flight Officer Status

Started by SARDOC, January 06, 2014, 03:26:18 AM

arajca

Quote from: RiverAux on January 09, 2014, 10:06:54 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 09, 2014, 05:05:30 PM
(That makes ~60% of the officers Lt Col or below)

In other words, 40% of the officers are Lt. Col. or higher.  I don't ever want to hear anyone complaining about CAP having too many high ranking officers ever again.
No. 40% are COL or higher, while 60% are 2d Lt - Lt Col.

RiverAux

Quote from: arajca on January 09, 2014, 10:13:16 PM

In other words, 40% of the officers are Lt. Col. or higher.  I don't ever want to hear anyone complaining about CAP having too many high ranking officers ever again.
No. 40% are COL or higher, while 60% are 2d Lt - Lt Col.

Thanks for the correction --- its even worse than I thought. 

Storm Chaser

I don't see how you can come up with "40%" with the numbers given. We know that about 30.7% of active duty officers are full Col (O-6) or higher. That's only 6% of the entire active duty force. We don't really know how many officers are Lt Cols (O-5) based on those numbers. But even if 40% of officers were Lt Cols or higher, that's still less than 8% of the entire force.

I'm not sure what percentage of all senior members or even the entire CAP membership are Lt Col or higher. But in FLWG, over 15% of senior members are Lt Col or higher; that's 8% of all FLWG members.

I guess those numbers are not so bad. That said, I've never heard that the issue is that we have too many Lt Cols, but that virtually every senior member (almost 58% of all members) are officers. In contrast, only about 20% of Air Force active duty members are officers. Of course, as has been said before, we're not the Air Force. ;)

pascocap2002

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 09, 2014, 02:26:16 PM
FOs should be recognized at NHQ I don't believe there is any disagreement there.  But really guys we are not any other organization.  We have a PD and promotion system that works.  It is upto the member to track his/her promotion requirements and take the steps needed.  We don't need to adopt anyone elses system, and really alot of this I see as a solution looking for a problem when there is none.  Our promotion system works, our. PD system works, read the regs ask the questions when or or as needed.  Everyone regadlrdless of whether they ade a senior or cadet member will get out of the program what they put into it.

When I joined the Air Force, I had to give up being a cadet, I went through the Flight officer grades and ended up as a Senior Fight Officer (SFO) and its all well documented. The bad thing is that because it is not recorded at National Headquarters (NHQ), when it came time for my promotion, it still took me about 3 more years to make Captain because no one really knew how to promote me since I was a previous SFO. This means that my promotions since then have been delayed and delayed because they did not know how to promote me while taking in account my time in grade as SFO.

With that said, NHQ should have records of promotions no matter if its an officer, non-commissioned officer, or cadet.

Furthermore, you will get out of the program whatever you put into it as long as you surround yourself with others that have the same drive for the program as you. If you rely on others to get their jobs done, then things usually take a long time.

No matter what, keep your records (or copies of them) and always follow up on requests. This is not to pressure someone into something, but to stay in the loop and to get the information you are looking for.

Tim Medeiros

This is relevant to the discussion it seems, one of my members actually used the ask the commander feature asking about this.  Below is what I got in response.

Please DO NOT reply to this Email message.

A response to your question has been sent.

CAPID: <snip to protect the innocent> From: AZ-085

Question to the National Commander:
Sir,

I was just curious as to why any of the Flight Officer Grades are not recognized in the CAP online system. We are recognized as Senior Members, I am really just curious about it.

TFO *name*

Response:
Flight Officer *name*, thank you for this question and I apologize for the response delay. I have spoken to our IT committee concerning this issue and was informed plans are being worked to expand the program allowing for flight officer grade input.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

pascocap2002

Tim,

Great to hear a response.

(off topic) I am happy your still active in CAP! Also with SWR now.

-Jason McDonald

AirDX

That just ain't right.  Better than 1-in-3 Air Force officers are O-6 or above?  Not.  I work in an organization of a couple of hundred people, and we have a smattering of LCs and two (2) O-6s.  And we're in a MAJCOM HQ.

I think the figures on the attachment here are much better - slightly less than 6% of the USAF officer strength are O-6 and above (as of the end of 2011). 

I can't imagine AFPC being screwed up on their numbers like that (BWAHAHAHAHA!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
Believe in fate, but lean forward where fate can see you.