Help for a New Medical NCOIC

Started by TexasCadet, December 10, 2013, 11:17:12 PM

TexasCadet

Thank you everyone for your responses. I received an e-mail today from the Medical OIC, and I received instructions on my responsibilities. Turns out the Medical NCOIC does a lot of administration stuff, such as filing medical paperwork and organizing the medical stuff. Thank you again.

PA Guy

LSTHiker,

CAPR 160-1 para 1-8  3 Jun '13 says that only physicians (MD/D0) are allowed to use the title "medical officer". Only nurses of some flavor can have the title of nurse officer.  Regardless of educational level if you aren't a physician or nurse you are a Health Services Officer. 

LSThiker

Thanks.  I did not notice they eliminated the word "category" as was stated in the previous 2002 edition.  So it is only MDs and DOs. 

thatesguy

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2013, 11:39:01 PM
The fact that you applied for administration and were assigned a medical job should be some indication how "important" this is.

Know the number for 9-1-1.

That's about all you should do, and if there are any supplies needed such as adhesive bandages, moleskin, suture kits, IV bags,
etc., make sure the encampment pays for them, not you.

With no indication to your personal ability, anything health related should, IMHO (i.e. fact), be left to senior members.

Please love the of God do not go running around with IV bags and starting IV's, little something called practicing medicine without a license.

Source: Real life EMT
NRAEMT, GA AEMT, PHTLS

a2capt

sarmed1

Quote from: thatesguy on December 16, 2013, 03:46:35 AM
Please love the of God do not go running around with IV bags and starting IV's, little something called practicing medicine without a license.

Source: Real life EMT

Its more accurately "care outside your scope of practice" (ie EMT starting a line) or "care without proper authorization".  (paramedic not under medical direction, be it online or offline)

Unless you have no license or certification, then maybe. Most specifically its care not allowed by a person in CAP (within the scope of practice or not, medical direction or not)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

thatesguy

With the OP being a cadet, it would be assumed that he is without an EMS cert. Also(for reference), in my state the minimum certification to work on a truck is I'85(which is permitted IV's along with a lot of other things). Which that level is being phased out by both Georgia and NREMT and being replaced with the AEMT or Advanced EMT with a slightly larger scope of practice.
NRAEMT, GA AEMT, PHTLS

Flying Pig

CAP isn't a medical provider.  You don't need to be a medical anything to hold the position.  Unfortunately for the cadet he/she will be lucky to be able to cut out a piece of mole skin a will probably get stuck walking around with the first aid kit.