Help for a New Medical NCOIC

Started by TexasCadet, December 10, 2013, 11:17:12 PM

TexasCadet

I recently have been picked for staff for the Texas Wing Winter Encampment. I applied for administration, but I got Medical Non-Commissioned Officer In Charge (don't ask me how). Anyway, I need some help preparing on what I should know. I have been reviewing CAPR 160-1 and 160-2 and studying the Ground Team Member's Task Guide, but what else should I do? I will get some training when I arrive (staff always arrives a day or two before everyone else). I also know it isn't going to be super-secret-stealth-medic or Space-Shuttle-door-gunner, but what is it like being on medical?

Also, I need to ask another question. What is Required Staff Training like? Is it hard, and how should I prepare?

Any and all help is appreciated.

The Infamous Meerkat

Step 1. Carry a First Aid kit everywhere.

Step 2. Patch any and all available boo-boos.

Step 3. In the case of something that does actually require medical assistance, go get the Senior Member medic, who will invariably call EMT's.

:P
Captain Kevin Brizzi, CAP
SGT, USMC
Former C/TSgt, CAP
Former C/MAJ, Army JROTC

Eclipse

The fact that you applied for administration and were assigned a medical job should be some indication how "important" this is.

Know the number for 9-1-1.

That's about all you should do, and if there are any supplies needed such as adhesive bandages, moleskin, suture kits, IV bags,
etc., make sure the encampment pays for them, not you.

With no indication to your personal ability, anything health related should, IMHO (i.e. fact), be left to senior members.

"That Others May Zoom"

TexasCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2013, 11:39:01 PM
The fact that you applied for administration and were assigned a medical job should be some indication how "important" this is.

Know the number for 9-1-1.

That's about all you should do, and if there are any supplies needed such as adhesive bandages, moleskin, suture kits, IV bags,
etc., make sure the encampment pays for them, not you.

With no indication to your personal ability, anything health related should, IMHO (i.e. fact), be left to senior members.

I don't think I am qualified to conduct surgery. ::)

sarmed1

Well technically medical at an encampment like activity is more of an administrative function than a practical one.....
Some one needs to keep track of all of the CAP forms that are now required (or recommended, in some cases)

(while all of the "real medics" are running around with giant trauma bags waiting for the bus load of hemophiliacs to crash into the glass truck)

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

LSThiker

I would say contact TXWG Encampment POC and ask exactly what your job duties entail.  Otherwise, without really knowing what they are expecting from you, it is difficult to give any advice.  However, I think sarmed1 hit the nail on the head and it is probably entirely administrative.  So, I would not expect too much.

Eclipse

A life lesson here - never accept a job until you ask about the duties and responsibilities.

CAP tends to fall into a rut of "just take the names and put them in slots", then we wonder why people
aren't happy, or weren't successful / prepared, etc.

The same goes for real jobs, or anything where people will hold you to expectations you need to be aware of and
prepared for.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Eclipse on December 10, 2013, 11:39:01 PM

In this case, your (not so) humble opinion is actually a fact. :D

AngelWings

What everyone has said here so far is important to remember. You're not a paramedic or EMT so don't pack to be one, your senior member responsible for medical is going to handle anything serious (with a call to 911 in many cases), your job is likely to be somewhat administrative, and you really need to ask what you're exactly doing.

If your duty entails doing more than desk work and you are not guided by the senior member in charge of medical...

Focus on hydration and making sure that the people you're responsible for are well aware of how to inform you something is wrong and how to deal with common injuries like knee lockers. Make sure cadets are briefed on avoiding locking their knees, make sure they apply sunscreen if it is extremely sunny, make sure they're drinking water, and know when to pull someone aside if you feel as if they need medical attention. Otherwise, you're going to not be doing much in terms of medical stuff.

Sunscreen is never a bad idea. I heard someone say that sunscreen is only used in the summer. They were wrong. Sun burns are uncomfortable and can help cause dehydration, so make sure that extra is brought.

As mentioned and beaten to death, you are not a medic. You seem to understand this, so I'll save the speech about how packing a medical kit that rivals an ambulance is stupid. Basic first aid is more than likely what you're going to need. It's never stupid to review proper CPR techniques, but at best a precaution and at worst a skill you won't use. Otherwise, you're set. Knowing your place is much more helpful to the EMTs than improper treatment or getting in the way.

I'd say extra socks and foot powder would be a good thing to have on hand. If for some reason someone complains about it, you can prevent it from becoming a more serious issue (whether that issue is real or someone being over-dramatic). Definitely not a necessity, but I couldn't see it being a harm or being too much of an encumbrance.

Last piece of advice is to make sure you have fun. Regardless of your title, encampment should be an awesome experience for you. Don't let this slip by just because you have a title. Don't stress over it before hand.

Huey Driver

Here's our position description:

1. Overview: The Medical Division will be tasked with ensuring that basic First Aid and CPR is available at all times to all persons present at the Basic Encampment. These individuals will be assigned to posts and will have numerous tasks. Members of the Medical Division will ensure all cadets are properly hydrated at all activities. Individual's part of this division will be with the encampment at all times and will be attentive to their duties. Although not initially required for selection, members of the Medical Division MUST be certified in Basic CPR and First Aid by the May Staff Training Weekend. Failure to provide proof of certification by this point will result in either transfer to another division or termination from cadet staff if deemed appropriate. The Medical Division will be cross-trained with the Safety Division.

2. Objectives:
• They are to assist all in need of medical attention using training they received during STWs
• Perform foot checks on a regular basis
• Watch all participants for possible heat exhaustion
• Medical Staff will be responsible for ensuring all Flight Staff are hydrating their cadets.
• All medics will maintain a record of those they treat and treatment rendered. Information will be relayed to the Safety Officer so that Form 78s can be completed if necessary.
•All medics will be responsible of a certain number of cadets which must take certain medications at certain times. Medics will record any prescribed medications cadets ingest during the encampment, as monitored by the Senior Member Medical Mentor. This recording should include time and place, as well as medication given
• Reports directly to Medical OIC. Medical OIC will be appointed based on credentials, experience, and rank. Medical OIC will be appointed by Cadet Executive Officer.
  -Medical OIC will report directly to Cadet Executive Officer
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Medical Division?  You need a "division" of people to call 9-1-1?

As to the 78's, someone needs to review the process and talk to the safety officer - you don't "keep a log and decide later", anything
that approaches a 78 needs to be notified immediately.

Also, for the record, no one but an MD is a Medical Anything in a CAP context, and you're not to "treat" anyone.
Health Safety Officer is a more appropriate term.

Jersey, I know this isn't you, specifically, but we need to collectively knock this stuff off.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Divisions are a unit under ICS, however, they are geographic in nature, i.e. North Division, Bridge Division, etc. A Group is the same as a Division, but functional in nature, i.e Medical Group, Suppression Group, Extrication Group, etc. In an encampment context, Health Services Group would be the correct term.

Actually, a DO (and a couple others) can be Medical Officers, but they are at the same level as a MD. The proper CAP term for a non-doctor leading the Health Services Group is the Health Services Officer or Nurse Officer if they are a Nurse, as defined in CAPR 160-1.

Making ANY CAP personnel responsible for cadets taking their medications is not permitted by reg. Senior Members MAY take that task on themselves, but a. it is discouraged, and b. they MUST do it of their own - they cannot be ordered to do so.

Huey Driver

I agree that the phraseology needs improving. We've never said "division", ever, it's just what this says. As for the medical log and CAPF 78, take the "decide later" part out, but everything still gets written down in our logs, too.

By "treat", you know our 'scope of practice' ranges from band-aids to moleskin  ::)
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

LSThiker

Quote from: arajca on December 14, 2013, 06:13:15 AM
Actually, a DO (and a couple others) can be Medical Officers, but they are at the same level as a MD.

Not to derail the thread, but I am curious.  Looking at CAPR160-1, it states that only those in the physician category are considered medical officer.  When looking at the document for the health services it states:

Heath Professionals with Doctoral Degree (such as).

Then there is another category such as "Health Professionals with Bachelors/Masters Degree (such as)".

They list biomedical scientist as a bachelors or masters degree.  However, what happens if a biomedical scientist has a PhD in a biomedical field.  Are they considered a Health Professional with a doctoral degree or a Health Professional with Bachelors/Master Degree?

In addition, what happens when you have a person with a MBBS?  They can be a licensed physician in the US essentially equal to an MD or DO, but technically only have a bachelors degree.

The same is true now with Physical Therapists now graduating with DPT.  The Masters of Physical Therapy is essentially going away.  Are they now considered Health Professionals with Doctoral degrees or still considered in the Health professionals with bachelors/masters degree?  Audiologists with the Doctor of Audiology.  Nurse Practitioners with PhDs?  Nurse or Medical?

I know in the long run it does not really matter much as they still have their knowledge.  However, since Health Services Officers still do not have a badge, it may be important to some to still be recognized.  It would be nice for NHQ to finally design a HSO badge especially since now the rest of the SM specialties have badges.

Eclipse

None of the above matters because most commanders don't bother with HSOs, they can't do anything in CAP that
mom, dad, or "Jim with First Aid" can't.

As professionals, generally, they have plenty to offer CAP, as medical professionals, very little.
That's simply the way it is.

Unless your unit is part of CAP Section 31, a bio-medical degree is no more relevent to CAP then being a journeyman electrician.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Regardless of whether you or I believe they have little to offer CAP medically is besides the point.  It is still important to get people the correct titles and to recognize people for their efforts.  People that hold aircraft maintenance certifications can do very little in actually maintaining the aircraft, but they get recognition for their knowledge.  For some people, appropriate recognition goes a long way.  That recognition may be in the form of awarding them the Medical Officer badge or saying "sorry, but you do not qualify for that badge because CAP does not recognize your efforts and knowledge". 

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on December 14, 2013, 08:54:02 PM
Regardless of whether you or I believe they have little to offer CAP medically is besides the point.  It is still important to get people the correct titles and to recognize people for their efforts.  People that hold aircraft maintenance certifications can do very little in actually maintaining the aircraft, but they get recognition for their knowledge.  For some people, appropriate recognition goes a long way.  That recognition may be in the form of awarding them the Medical Officer badge or saying "sorry, but you do not qualify for that badge because CAP does not recognize your efforts and knowledge".

Yes, "appropriate" - giving someone a title or grade when they can't use their skill is exactly opposite what CAP stands for.

I feel the same way about MX guys, lawyers, or anyone else.  If you are using your professional skills in direct service to CAP,
great, let's talk, if not, it's irrelevant.  Being a Ph.d in aeronautical engineering is of no value if you decide all you want to do
is be the unit supply officer or FM.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

QuoteBeing a Ph.d in aeronautical engineering is of no value if you decide all you want to do
is be the unit supply officer or FM.

Sure, I agree with this.  If you are a lawyer but do not want to be a legal officer, then yes you should not get the badge, advanced promotion, and title. 

However, this is not what I am discussing.  I am talking of people that are wanting to be HSOs.  However, I also feel that HSOs (encompassing Medical Officers and Nurse Officers) are under utilized by both NHQ and Squadron Commanders.  I understand the whole "no treatment" unless it is an emergency.  I agree with that.  However, I think squadron commander take this too far and believe that means they cannot utilize their medical knowledge. 

A DPT can be useful for giving advice (not treatment) to cadets that want to improve their CPFT or are having some soreness.  They might know an additional stretch or exercise that may be useful.  A medical doctor or even a biomedical scientist would be useful in discussing the dangers of disaster relief, blood borne pathogens training.  A dietician would be helpful to give advice for proper eating and nutrition.  An HSO may be a good person to be the POC of a Sally Ride Science Festival.  An HSO may be a good person to organize a tour of a medical facility or military medical operations exercise.   

However, all of this has no bearing on my question.  Regardless, how does NHQ classify those people I asked?

Eclipse

Quote from: LSThiker on December 14, 2013, 11:57:17 PMA DPT can be useful for giving advice (not treatment) to cadets that want to improve their CPFT or are having some soreness.  They might know an additional stretch or exercise that may be useful.   A dietician would be helpful to give advice for proper eating and nutrition. 

Nope.   

Quote from: LSThiker on December 14, 2013, 11:57:17 PMA medical doctor or even a biomedical scientist would be useful in discussing the dangers of disaster relief, blood borne pathogens training.
I suppose, but no more or less then anyone else with BBP training.

Quote from: LSThiker on December 14, 2013, 11:57:17 PM
An HSO may be a good person to be the POC of a Sally Ride Science Festival.  An HSO may be a good person to organize a tour of a medical facility or military medical operations exercise.   
No issue here.

"That Others May Zoom"

LSThiker

Quote from: Eclipse on December 15, 2013, 12:09:00 AM

Nope. 

Yes, they are.  CAPR160-1 does not prohibit advice and education of members.  In fact, it encourages it:

Quote from: CAPR160-1
CAP health service personnel are responsible for advising CAP commanders and unit personnel on the health, fitness, disease and injury prevention and environmental protection of CAP members relevant to CAP activities, with special emphasis on those members involved in flying, emergency services and disaster relief activities, field exercises, encampments and special activities

Quote from: 'CAPR160-1"
Educate members about and encourage behaviors which result in increased safety,
health and wellness including, but not limited to:
(1) Wear of sunglasses when outside, driving or flying except when in military formations, as per CAPM 39-1.
(2) Wear of hearing protection while in and around aircraft and other high noise areas. See CAPR 62-1, CAP Safety Responsibilities and Procedures, for additional information on noise protection.
(3) Proper protection from heat, cold and sun exposure on activities.
(4) Proper hydration.
(5) Proper sanitation and public health precautions and practices.
(6) Eating of healthy and nutritious foods, snacks and beverages.
(7) Maintaining a good level of physical fitness and regular exercise.
(8) Healthy mental health practices.
(9) Proper rest, sleep and knowledge of operational fatigue issues.
(10) Importance of self-care and personal care in maintaining an operationally ready
member.

I suppose, but no more or less then anyone else with BBP training.

I would rather get my information and training from people who are current on the primary literature and have specialized knowledge on the subject.  I do not think your general member, although maybe knowledge in the basic concepts of BBP, are not.