What Have You Forgotten to Bring to a Civil Air Patrol Activity?

Started by TexasCadet, December 05, 2013, 09:11:44 PM

TexasCadet

Let's face it: most of us have forgotten to bring something to at least one CAP activity. I know I did. It was at my basic encampment. I forgot to bring my pillow (luckily the barracks had extra pillows).

What have you forgotten to bring?

Brad

Civvies one year, civilian shoes a few years later. Wore my uniforms all week for the former, and stopped at a Wal-Mart in a rush on the way to staff an Encampment for the latter.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Майор Хаткевич

TexasCadet

One cadet at my basic encampment forgot not only that stuff, he also forgot the rest of his blues. :o

Huey Driver

I was attending a SAREX a couple of hours away, and was going to sleep over at my CAP friend's house, which was about an hour closer, and we'd go up the next morning. I drive to my friends's house, and realize that I forgot my garment bag with my entire uniform at my house... Needless to say, I wasted a lot of gas and time that night!

There's a few things I wish I had too:
Civil Engineering Academy- A heavy blanket. I never imagined the inside of my tent would be in the 50 degree range... I barely slept cause of how cold it was in there. Also, ANT TRAPS!
Encampment Staffings- Snacks. You can always use more food!
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Arrived at the IG College on and discovered I had no uniform pants in my suitcase. Had to go buy some and had bought 1 for the trip!

EMT-83

There was the time that I forgot to put my son's blue shirt in my garment bag, when packing for the NER conference. My fault, not his.

We were unable to find a light blue shirt anywhere, so we bought a white one for the banquet, creating the Cadet Corporate Uniform.

lordmonar

Not a CAP story.....but I deployed to Italy with out my Personal Bag.

I was stationed in Germany with the First Combat Comm Squadron....gearing up for the Kosovo War.

We loaded our combat, cold weather, and chem bags (A, B, C) the day before along with all the comm equipiment.  We were supposed to build the personal bag pallent just before we left for the Air Terminal.

I was the Facility Chief (FAC CHEIF) for the SATCOM terminal and we got called away for a last minute team chief meeting while we were all standing around waiting for the baggage pallet to arrive.

I told one of my airman to make sure my P-bag got loaded...and ran off the the "30 minute meeting"....two and a half hours later meeting breaks up I got 10 minutes to grab my carry on, hit the latrine and board the bus to go straight to the 130 sitting on the tarmac.

We load the plane....strap down...and the off we go. 

Hit the ground running. Off load, safety brief, and then jobbing the comm site for 36 hours straight before we even think about getting a showing, getting some rest, and putting on clean cloths.......no P-Bag.  Look high, and low, check with all the other deployed squadrons.  Nothing...nada....call back to home base...."is my P-bag there?"  "Oh!  Is that yours, we were wondering why is was just sitting there in the middle of the bay!"

Needless to say....I was not a happy Staff Sergeant!  :)

Took them 4 days to get it out to me.  I was able to buy underwear and socks....but that's it.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Panache

Cadet David Derasmo

2011 Camp Pendlton Encampment. I forgot my blues belt. I was the Group Honor Graduate out of 257... that happened.
C/Maj David Derasmo
"The true test comes when all strength has fled and men must produce victory on will alone." -Steven Pressfield, Gates of Fire
*Previous Squadron Positions: Emergency Services Officer, Safety Officer, Recruiting and Retentions Officer, Cadet Advisory Council Representative, Flight Commander
*Current Squadron Positions: Cadet Commander, Cadet Advisory Council Representative
*NCSAs: PJOC

dwb

I have forgotten everything there is to forget. Headgear is the thing I forget most often.

At this past year's cadet competition, I forgot my flight cap (I had driven down in civvies the night before). Luckily there was one at the HQ I could use.

BillB

As an Encampment Commander I always took a box of belts, flight caps (male and female) tie-tabs, and ties along to the activity. Of 300 cadets attending, probably 10 will have forgotten one of the above items. They were issued to cadets and were returned (most of the time) at the end of the Encampment.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Pulsar

I don't remember forgetting anything 8)  ...and a good thing too...because I definitely would of heard about it from my staff.  >:(
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Eclipse

Quote from: BillB on December 06, 2013, 12:42:06 PM
As an Encampment Commander I always took a box of belts, flight caps (male and female) tie-tabs, and ties along to the activity. Of 300 cadets attending, probably 10 will have forgotten one of the above items. They were issued to cadets and were returned (most of the time) at the end of the Encampment.

Ditto - had quite a pile by the time I turned over the reigns.  A belt or a hat is one thing, but never could figure out how
someone could lose the M65 or a new set of boots without mom & dad asking where they were.

I also made a fair number of Photoshopped nametags and nametapes - passable from the stands for blues and
way better then masking or duct tape for BDUs, usually made the cadets feel like someone cared about them, too.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: Eclipse on December 07, 2013, 01:49:41 AMI also made a fair number of Photoshopped nametags and nametapes - passable from the stands for blues and way better then masking or duct tape for BDUs, usually made the cadets feel like someone cared about them, too.
:clap:

Al Sayre

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

C/Awesomenesss

I have forgotten my blues belt and shoes for my wing conference a couple years ago

luv2fly97

I forgot my flight cap at encampment... and my bdu cover and belt at an AE weekend...

luv2fly97

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 05, 2013, 10:45:36 PM
I was attending a SAREX a couple of hours away, and was going to sleep over at my CAP friend's house, which was about an hour closer, and we'd go up the next morning. I drive to my friends's house, and realize that I forgot my garment bag with my entire uniform at my house... Needless to say, I wasted a lot of gas and time that night!

Civil Engineering Academy- A heavy blanket. I never imagined the inside of my tent would be in the 50 degree range... I barely slept cause of how cold it was in there. Also, ANT TRAPS!

So cadet cadre can bring food contraband to encampment? I wasn't sure.

AACS Cadet21

Quote from: BillB on December 06, 2013, 12:42:06 PM

Ditto. I'm taking BDU and Blues belts to encampment when I'm staff.

arajca

Quote from: AACS Cadet21 on March 21, 2014, 02:19:17 AM
Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 05, 2013, 10:45:36 PM

So cadet cadre can bring food contraband to encampment? I wasn't sure.
Depends on the Encampment Commander. Also, if the staff misbehaves (including staying up past staff lights out), expect it to be the first thing confiscated.

jimmydeanno

I forgot to pack my grey slacks for IACE.   I had a "Kevin!" (For those of you old enough to remember Home Alone) moment on the way to DFW.  I had to find a Macy's enroute,  wait for it to open, buy my slacks, then get to the airport on time after having a 35 minute delay from the pants.  Made it to DFW with a minutes to spare...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tht1gurlflightsarg

Eat your veggies. drink your milk. dont do drugs. look both ways before crossing.

Have a nice day.

Garibaldi

There was this one time I went to my mother's house to spend the night prior to an FTX. While I was diligent in packing my uniform and everything I needed for the weekend, I neglected to bring civilian shoes for some reason. It was made all the worse by the fact that my sister had a party that night, and I was running around in shorts and combat boots.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Cadetter

I forgot to bring my blues cover to a color guard presentation at our wing conference last year... luckily another cadet who wasn't presenting had one the correct size, so I was lent it. And I got reminded that a TSgt should have personal responsibility down pat.
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

MajorM

Buying tennis shoes because I've forgotten them for an activity has long been my shoe replacement strategy :)

AirAux

How about the biggest boo-boo of all times?  My 17 year old son forgot to check his e-mail account and missed his offer to be Cadet Commander at Blue Beret.  That's one he won't ever do again.  And he won't ever get a re-do on..