WMIRS report by mission symbol (or similar?)

Started by Eclipse, December 03, 2013, 04:24:40 PM

Eclipse

I'm looking to generate some PA's for year-end reporting and it would be a big help if I could run
reports that indicate MP's and other aircrew by mission symbol, etc.

Does this exist in WMIRS?

"That Others May Zoom"

BFreemanMA

To the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, no.
Brian Freeman, Capt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer
Westover Composite Squadron

Huey Driver

The easiest way to find this info might be through WMIRS's Advanced Mission Search. For specifically what you're looking for, you can search by your wing, dates, CAP ID, and type (mission symbol).

I believe that's as close as you can come to the report you're looking for.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

JeffDG

You know, there are times that I REALLY wish that whoever built the process for CAPWATCH would be turned loose on ORMS and WMIRS.

I can pull CAPWATCH into a database and do amazing stuff with the data in there. 

With WMIRS and ORMS I'm limited to reports that someone else thought might be interesting and had the data access to build and deploy.

Eclipse

Agreed - one of the reasons a lot of trivial things are left consistently by the wayside is that the
data is just "this much" too much of a PITA to get to.

Having to manually run sortie by sortie to get a PA for O-rides, CN rides, missions, whatever is rediculous when everything is
supposed to already be in there, especially on the aircrew side.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2013, 09:03:11 PM
Agreed - one of the reasons a lot of trivial things are left consistently by the wayside is that the
data is just "this much" too much of a PITA to get to.

Having to manually run sortie by sortie to get a PA for O-rides, CN rides, missions, whatever is rediculous when everything is
supposed to already be in there, especially on the aircrew side.
Give me the back-end WMIRS data tables and I could make that data positively sing...sifting through data to find patterns and trends is what I do for a living, and given the "raw" data, I can doing pretty well.

Eclipse

No doubt.

When did API become a bad word?  Especially in this day and age of web front ends and apps for everything?

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 03, 2013, 09:19:35 PM
No doubt. 

When did API become a bad word?  Especially in this day and age of web front ends and apps for everything?
The "Not Invented Here" syndrome is alive and well at NHQ.

I asked for an OAuth option so that I could authenticate people in my wing to our wing site based on their eServices credentials, and was told that it was a "security issue", which is IT speak for "I don't want to help you and I want you to go away in such a way that you can't question me."

So, now, we have people who don't keep their passwords the same between eServices and the wing site and constantly have to do resets for them.

Eclipse

Quote from: JerseyCadet on December 03, 2013, 07:51:19 PM
The easiest way to find this info might be through WMIRS's Advanced Mission Search. For specifically what you're looking for, you can search by your wing, dates, CAP ID, and type (mission symbol).

This at least gets the list of a given mission type, assuming they are all coded correctly.  Good tip.
Unfortunately, it looks like I'll have to use it to go one-by-one.

The "Wing Report Search" like much of eServices comes painfully close, but doesn't appear to be
created with anything but the pilot in mind.

The fields aren't 100% "clean", but parsing the combined ones would be trivial (seriously, if there's
one thing we should teach our IT people at all levels is that you NEVER, EVER combine different types
of info into a single field).

It is inexplicably limited to report range dates of 99 days or less, which means that somewhere between
4 & 12 separate runs are required per fiscal year to get everything, and regardless, does not include the
data on the whole crew.

With respect to ground teams, there's really nowhere you can easily grab the full data on personnel - for those
missions you have to go into the documentation, which obviously is going to be a huge hassle.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

UGH - you also don't generate spreadsheet reports with MERGED FIELDS!

Not only does "advanced mission search" only handle about 2 years at a time, it's got merged fields which will have to be
cleaned up to do any real reporting or sorting.

Also, using the "Back" key in general is just a bad idea in WMIRS.
"...we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling..."

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2013, 04:23:01 AM
UGH - you also don't generate spreadsheet reports with MERGED FIELDS!
For the love of all that is good and decent in this world...those people who design reports...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER use merged fields if you have any inkling that someone viewing the report might, in some far off land, in a galaxy far, far, away, might use that report for further analysis.

God save me from "pretty" spreadsheets...
Quote from: Eclipse on December 11, 2013, 04:23:01 AM
"...we must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSpSkWPBx6M

Mustang

Hey, NHQ's IT staff are the best that limited money can buy...within the greater Montgomery area, that is.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

a2capt

I've got to say .. going to Maxwell for NSC .. was certainly culture shock of sorts. :)
I'd never been anywhere in AL that wasn't off an I-10 exit, transiting to-from FL, to CA, in the early 1980's.