AAFES Catalog Sales for Uniforms

Started by Lancer, March 27, 2007, 02:30:10 PM

DeputyDog

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 28, 2007, 05:21:31 PM
Quote from: DeputyDog on March 28, 2007, 04:41:30 PM
It is because they have to make sure you are an authorized customer. The patronage of AAFES is a benefit for military servicepersons, their dependents, retirees and authorized civilian personnel.

Sure, everything except uniform items.

If your calling AAFES and try to order that new 80GB iPod, spank you, but if your trying to get something for a uniform...well...let's not set up that gauntlet...kthnx?

What are you talking about?

DNall

Quote from: Pylon on March 28, 2007, 05:20:10 PM
And it says nothing about the Auxiliaries.  While you could argue that our AF-style uniforms are distinctive military uniforms under 10 USC, there's nothing legally-speaking to stop Joe Blow from ordering the TPU or Aviator Combo with CAP Maj Gen insignia from authorized-dealer Vanguard and wearing it daily.
Yeah it does, dif section, same penalties. Someone else will have to quote that for you, or you can search around here for where it was in an old thread.

By the way, wearing a uniform in the wrong circumstance is not the only way, saying you are a CAP or mil member/officer when you aren't is a crime, especially if done to recieve goods or services.

Lancer

Quote from: DeputyDog on March 28, 2007, 05:59:26 PM

What I was trying to say is, sure, set up the super top secret, restricted access to what AAFES sells for those who benefit from it, but cut people like members of CAP a break when trying to just order some uniform items.

Case in point, even though I set up an account for myself, I still wasn't able to order a service cap for Psicorp at the same time. I was told I could only order for myself or my cadet.

Aside from all that, my order placed with them on Monday morning arrived via Fed Ex two day delivery about an hour ago...

Pylon

Quote from: DNall on March 28, 2007, 06:23:43 PM
Yeah it does, dif section, same penalties. Someone else will have to quote that for you, or you can search around here for where it was in an old thread.

We're not that special.  10 USC, Subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 45, Sections 771 and 772 makes no mention of the word "Auxiliary."  In addition, while 36 USC, Subtitle II, Part B, Chapter 403 ("Civil Air Patrol"), Section 40306 gives CAP the exclusive right to CAP's name, insignia, devices, etc., I think you may be misinterpreting what that means. 

First, that section establishes no civil or criminal penalties for violation of the statute.   Second, let's use an example.  Dolce & Gabbana hold exclusive rights to their name, logo, devices, etc. via copyright, too.  They grant privileges to only their authorized manufacturers to produce, say, a t-shirt with the D&G name, distinctive look, and logo.   A vendor is also extended rights to sell the D&G t-shirt.  Joe Blow can go to the authorized vendor and buy the shirt, if they'll sell it to him.  If they do, he can wear that t-shirt all he wants, even if Stefano Gabbana himself detests this guy wearing a D&G t-shirt.   Stefano can't be walking down the street, see Joe and his t-shirt, and say "I own the exclusive rights to the D&G logo, name and likeness, therefore I demand you - Joe Blow - take off that t-shirt, which you paid for, right now and stop wearing it!"

See the analogy?

Quote from: DNall on March 28, 2007, 06:23:43 PM
By the way, wearing a uniform in the wrong circumstance is not the only way, saying you are a CAP or mil member/officer when you aren't is a crime, especially if done to recieve goods or services.

This is my understanding of the legality of claiming you're a member of the Armed Forces when you're not.  As was already discussed elsewhere, I believe, and is available readily on web legal resources, saying you are a member of the Armed Forces is not illegal, unless you are using it with the intent of defrauding for veterans benefits, etc.  In other words, if in casual conversation at parties, I claim I'm an Air Force Staff Sergeant with the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts, just coming back from a double tour in Iraq, it's not illegal.   Bad taste?  Absolutely.  Will it likely get me beaten?  Possibly, depending on present company.  But I won't be facing any charges over it.

Now if I was standing down at the local VA Medical Center posing as a member of the Armed Forces trying to get a busted disc in my neck looked at... that's a whole different story.  Yes, that may be a crime.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 28, 2007, 06:30:39 PM
Quote from: DeputyDog on March 28, 2007, 05:59:26 PM

What I was trying to say is, sure, set up the super top secret, restricted access to what AAFES sells for those who benefit from it, but cut people like members of CAP a break when trying to just order some uniform items.

Case in point, even though I set up an account for myself, I still wasn't able to order a service cap for Psicorp at the same time. I was told I could only order for myself or my cadet.

Aside from all that, my order placed with them on Monday morning arrived via Fed Ex two day delivery about an hour ago...

which is why I said calling MCCS at your local base is easier. They will let you order whatever you need.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Lancer

Quote from: LtCol White on March 28, 2007, 07:58:25 PM
which is why I said calling MCCS at your local base is easier. They will let you order whatever you need.

Yeah, but see, if I left it at that...we wouldn't be having this thread spin off into another tangent like they so famously do in discussions of regulations and what not.

We have to keep Dennis busy somehow. ;D ;D ;D

Pylon

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 28, 2007, 08:05:53 PM

Yeah, but see, if I left it at that...we wouldn't be having this thread spin off into another tangent like they so famously do in discussions of regulations and what not.

No thread is ever safe from being derailed into discussions of regulations and laws.  ;)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

DNall

Hey I don't start this spin off stuff, and hardly ever do. I didn't post in the thread till someone said something I was interested in, and then only to refer them to another thread, which they can go search for themselves if they want the right information.

Far as the MCCS thing, I don't doubt it works, though it's not supposed to, and if everyone starts doing it then it'll get shut down. The only thing you have a right to is mail ordering uniforms thru AAFES. Most bases provide some degree of access for direct purchase, and if you can get MCCS to do it over the phone w/o all the trouble of AAFES, either out of the goodness of their hearts or because they don't understand the rules, then more power to you and don't abuse it.

Psicorp

Quote from: msmjr2003 on March 28, 2007, 04:48:33 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on March 27, 2007, 05:49:38 PM....<yoink>...."farts and darts"...</yoink>...

.....are *way* overrated.

Gee, Brain, without the pretty cloudy things, how would we know you're special?  Naarf.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Psicorp

Quote from: Pylon on March 28, 2007, 08:16:35 PM

No thread is ever safe from being derailed into discussions of regulations and laws.  ;)

Better regulations and laws than heresy heresay and rumor millwork.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

afgeo4

Placed a call to McGuire AFB MCSS today and was asked to come into the store for the purchase or use aafes.com/catalog.
GEORGE LURYE