AAFES Catalog Sales for Uniforms

Started by Lancer, March 27, 2007, 02:30:10 PM

Lancer

Greetings All,

I just wanted to share with you some information you may find useful regarding phone orders to AAFES for uniform items.

I just recently placed an order with them for my service cap because I was not able to get to a uniform store in time for wing conference.

For those who don't know here's the process I had to go through:

1) Scan your Driver's License, Social Security Card and CAP ID Card

2) E-mail this to Debbie Nichols, nicholsde@aafes.com making sure to put your name and 'Civil Air Patrol New Customer Setup and Order' in the subject line. Then explain in the body of your e-mail that you want to setup a new user account and would like to order uniform items. Make sure you request to be mailed a print catalog. She'll do her best to try and look up the items your trying to order.

As Ms. Nichols explained to me, she and her supervisor are responsible for CAP orders. The interesting part of this is she and her manager work the midnight shift. So if you can get your call into her between 0000 and 0900 EDT, you be able to place your order. Make sure you deal with her as she tells me a lot of other operators are not familiar with CAP and are unable to process our new customer setup.

The phone number for AAFES catalog sales is 800-527-2345 and Ms. Nichols extension is #65509.

Incidentally, if anyone needs to order the Company Grade Service Cap, the item number is M204D and it's $38.95 shipping included.

Hope someone finds this information helpful.

LtCol White

An easier route is just to call the MCCS at your local base. They will take your order over the phone and ship it to you and you dont have to go through all the hassle.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Lancer

Quote from: LtCol White on March 27, 2007, 02:46:33 PM
An easier route is just to call the MCCS at your local base. They will take your order over the phone and ship it to you and you dont have to go through all the hassle.

I like easier, but maybe you can shed some light on some more details regarding this for the neophytes. I'm sure it can't be as simple as a phone call to the uniform store on the base closest to you.

Ohioguard

Mark....thanks for the information, POC and telephone numbers.  I am sure many will find it usefull.

Psicorp

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 27, 2007, 02:30:10 PM

Incidentally, if anyone needs to order the Company Field Grade Service Cap, the item number is M204D and it's $38.95 shipping included.

Thanks Mark...at least you didn't get eaten alive by the mosquitos while blazing that trail.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Lancer

Quote from: Psicorp on March 27, 2007, 05:36:33 PM

Incidentally, if anyone needs to order the Company Field Grade Service Cap, the item number is M204D and it's $38.95 shipping included.

Subtle correction attempt?  ;D

ahem, via Wikipedia.

In the United States Air Force, all airmen have the option to wear combination caps, but only Field-Grade and General Officers, (Major and above), are required to own one. The cap of enlisted members has the insignia within a metal circle, while the Company-Grade (2dLt-1stLt-Captain) Officer version has a larger insignia without the metal circle. Field Grade Officers have clouds and lightning bolts on the bill. General Officer caps add an extra set of clouds and bolts, while the cap of the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force adds clouds and bolts around the entire band. The clouds and bolts are jokingly referred to as "farts and darts."

Psicorp

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 27, 2007, 05:47:36 PM
Quote from: Psicorp on March 27, 2007, 05:36:33 PM

Subtle correction attempt?  ;D

ahem, via Wikipedia.

In the United States Air Force, all airmen have the option to wear combination caps, but only Field-Grade and General Officers, (Major and above), are required to own one. The cap of enlisted members has the insignia within a metal circle, while the Company-Grade (2dLt-1stLt-Captain) Officer version has a larger insignia without the metal circle. Field Grade Officers have clouds and lightning bolts on the bill. General Officer caps add an extra set of clouds and bolts, while the cap of the Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force adds clouds and bolts around the entire band. The clouds and bolts are jokingly referred to as "farts and darts."

Well, crap.

That's what happens when you learn something wrong as a kid.   It sticks with you no matter how much you try to learn otherwise.  If I ever have kids, I'm teaching them that black is really called white.

Hmm...maybe a new TPU uniform change idea:  everyone gets "farts and darts"...  2nd LTs get one fart and one dart on the left side, 1st LTs and Captains get one set on each side, Major through Colonel get two sets, Generals get three.   Okay I'm going now, really, no need to shoot.

Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Psicorp on March 27, 2007, 05:49:38 PM
Hmm...maybe a new TPU uniform change idea:  everyone gets "farts and darts"...  2nd LTs get one fart and one dart on the left side, 1st LTs and Captains get one set on each side, Major through Colonel get two sets, Generals get three.   Okay I'm going now, really, no need to shoot.

Ready... aim...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

LtCol White

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 27, 2007, 03:42:21 PM

I like easier, but maybe you can shed some light on some more details regarding this for the neophytes. I'm sure it can't be as simple as a phone call to the uniform store on the base closest to you.

It actually is that simple. Just call them up, tell them I'm Capt XX from CAP and I need to order some uniform items. They'll take the order and your CC number and ship you the items. They already know CAP is authorized to purchase items so its no prob at all. Usually, they will ask you to hold and have you talk to the manager to place your order. But thats all there is to it.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Psicorp

Quote from: LtCol White on March 28, 2007, 12:03:08 AM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 27, 2007, 03:42:21 PM

It actually is that simple. Just call them up, tell them I'm Capt XX from CAP and I need to order some uniform items. They'll take the order and your CC number and ship you the items. They already know CAP is authorized to purchase items so its no prob at all. Usually, they will ask you to hold and have you talk to the manager to place your order. But thats all there is to it.

That certainly is easier (wish I had done that to begin with).

Thanks for the info, sir.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

LtCol White

No prob at all. Glad I could help. The MCCS staff are very helpful and willing to increase their sales to us. It helps us and the shop.

They also ship really fast.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Lancer

Sorry sir, and no disrespect intended, but I'm just not buying it. More importantly l'm not wanting to buy it. It shouldn't be that easy. Basically your saying that anyone can call up and order a complete, up to date military uniform, regardless of proof?

I'm sure Hassan and Akbar thank you for this information.  ;)

LtCol White

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 28, 2007, 01:57:14 PM

Sorry sir, and no disrespect intended, but I'm just not buying it. More importantly l'm not wanting to buy it. It shouldn't be that easy. Basically your saying that anyone can call up and order a complete, up to date military uniform, regardless of proof?

I'm sure Hassan and Akbar thank you for this information.  ;)

If you don't believe me, pick up the phone and do it. If not, then have fun doing it the hard way.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Pylon

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 28, 2007, 01:57:14 PM

Anybody can do that this afternoon from 300 civilian suppliers of military uniforms and insignia -- both over the phone and internet.  Heck, even complete military uniforms are on eBay.   It's not a protected commodity in any way.  If anybody wanted to pose as a members of the U.S. Armed Forces, they'd have no issue doing it in a matter of a day or two, even without MCSS/AAFES access.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: Pylon on March 28, 2007, 03:02:44 PM
Anybody can do that this afternoon from 300 civilian suppliers of military uniforms and insignia -- both over the phone and internet.  Heck, even complete military uniforms are on eBay.   It's not a protected commodity in any way.  If anybody wanted to pose as a members of the U.S. Armed Forces, they'd have no issue doing it in a matter of a day or two, even without MCSS/AAFES access.

And this bothers no one?

If this is the case, then why does AAFES make it harder than Chinese arithmetic to get what we need?

DeputyDog

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on March 28, 2007, 03:09:57 PM
If this is the case, then why does AAFES make it harder than Chinese arithmetic to get what we need?

It is because they have to make sure you are an authorized customer. The patronage of AAFES is a benefit for military servicepersons, their dependents, retirees and authorized civilian personnel.

RogueLeader

And this bothers no one?

Have you seen the punishments for impersonating a member of the Military or one of it's Auxillaries?  It's not pretty.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Monty

Quote from: Psicorp on March 27, 2007, 05:49:38 PM....<yoink>...."farts and darts"...</yoink>...

.....are *way* overrated.

Pylon

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 28, 2007, 04:45:37 PM

And this bothers no one?

Have you seen the punishments for impersonating a member of the Military or one of it's Auxillaries?  It's not pretty.

If somebody is plotting a terrorist attack, I doubt they're worried about the repercussions of violating the misdemeanor-class statute in 10 USC, Subtitle A, Part II, Chapter 45, Sections 771 and 772.   Not to mention, that law doesn't prohibit you from buying military uniforms, insignia, nor anything else for that matter.   It just says that, in most circumstances, you can't wear it around.  Even then, the statute is rarely enforced and invoked.

And it says nothing about the Auxiliaries.  While you could argue that our AF-style uniforms are distinctive military uniforms under 10 USC, there's nothing legally-speaking to stop Joe Blow from ordering the TPU or Aviator Combo with CAP Maj Gen insignia from authorized-dealer Vanguard and wearing it daily.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Lancer

Quote from: DeputyDog on March 28, 2007, 04:41:30 PM
It is because they have to make sure you are an authorized customer. The patronage of AAFES is a benefit for military servicepersons, their dependents, retirees and authorized civilian personnel.

Sure, everything except uniform items.

If your calling AAFES and try to order that new 80GB iPod, spank you, but if your trying to get something for a uniform...well...let's not set up that gauntlet...kthnx?

Quote from: RogueLeader

Oh, yes, quite harsh, but the chance of someone getting hurt initially because of an impersonation is something we should aim towards keeping from happening.

Oh, and Monty, nice addition of the photo... is that so we're sure your not a round guy who looks like Darth Vader?  ;D I Keed, I Keed...