Main Menu

For the commander memo

Started by Eclipse, July 24, 2013, 08:52:35 PM

Eclipse

I don't see this referred to in the T&Q.

For example, does it come from the sender, the commander, or noted as both in the from?

Is the closing "for the commander" above the actual senders name?  Trying to do this properly without getting too wrapped around the axle about it.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on July 24, 2013, 08:52:35 PM
I don't see this referred to in the T&Q.

For example, does it come from the sender, the commander, or noted as both in the from?

Is the closing "for the commander" above the actual senders name?  Trying to do this properly without getting too wrapped around the axle about it.

What does CAPR 10-1 say?

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/R010_001_A8B5F10FA5AC7.pdf

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

^ not enough.

So the "from" is the actual originator of the memo, or the commander in whose name it's being written?

But in the signature after "FOR THE COMMANDER", is the name then the originator or the commander in whose name the letter is being sent.
10-1 uses the same names over and over, so that isn't clear.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

No.

If you are doing a "from the commander" memo....it is "from the commander"  If it is from YOU.....it is not from the COMMANDER.

Memo for XXXXX

From XX CS/CC

Subject: How to write a "from the commander" memo.

BODY

FOR THE COMMANDER
<
<Three blank lines   <<<the writer signs here>>
<
COMMANDER's Signature Block.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Just tell the dude to write his own dang memo.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

The basic gist is that the letter is written as if it is from UNIT/CC, but that the actual signer is not necessarily the commander, but has the authority FOR the commander.

I have plenty of sets of orders that were issued by my battalion or HQ/STARC, yet they're not signed by the BC or the State AG because he's delegated that to the S-1 or Adjutant.  He's authorized to sign on purely routine matters (say, personnel) because orders for an E-3 aren't exactly high on the list of things the BC cares about.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Nuke52

Eclipse,

Sorry I'm late to the party with this reply.  I have the answer, and I hope I've not let you down by not replying quickly enough--sorry, brother... 

No, negative to the earlier reply from Lordmonar. 

If you are writing "for the commander," it is YOU writing the memo under YOUR signature block, "for the commander"--not the commander writing for--wait for it--himself.  The CAP reg is... I hope you're sitting down... wrong.  How absurd would that be?  If the CC were writing his own memo, would he really say "for the commander"?  [Austin Powers Voice] "Allow myself to introduce... myself..."[/Austin Powers Voice]  No.

I have written these memos in the Real Military [TM] "for the commander."  It meant that little ole' peon me, under my own signature block, was making some dictate or another from on high by virtue of the authority delegated to me by the commander, that he didn't have the time to bother with.  The authority to say that Lt Snuffy or Capt Bagodonuts was hereby appointed squadron SNACKO or Creamed Corn Awareness Officer was within my authority, but didn't rate the boss's time for him to publish a memo.  "FOR THE COMMANDER" means that you are speaking for the boss, but it is YOU that is doing the speaking. 

Please PM if you have any questions about this, and I'd be happy to talk one-on-one with you.

VR,

Nuke
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Eclipse

This is what I thought - that it comes from me, in the commander's name.

Otherwise how would you know which bozo wrote it?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Sorry....Nuke is wrong.

For the Commander is when a staff officer is writing a memo or signing a memo normally completed by the commander.

For example.

Financial Committee Members are appointed by the command in a letter to wing.
The commander is not available.....but the a change to the committee must be done before he returns.
In a telephone conversation the commander directs you to do the appointment letter.

That letter is FROM the COMMANDER........in my case Nellis Composite Squadron/CC
The signature line would look like:

FOR THE COMMANDER

<signed by Patrick M. Harris>

ROBERT LOPES, CAPT, CAP
Commander

Just like it says in 10-1

The other alternative is when someone brings you a memo already filled out with the commanders signature block.
In that case I would sign it and write "for" before his signature block.

If you follow Nuke's thinking there would never be a need to do a "FOR THE COMMANDER".

The only time you do a "for the commander" letter is when someone else is writing and signing a letter/memo that is usually or by regulation is written and signed by the commander.

FlyTiger77

Quote from: lordmonar on July 26, 2013, 11:41:56 PM
Sorry....Nuke is wrong.

For the Commander is when a staff officer is writing a memo or signing a memo normally completed by the commander.

For example.

The commander is not available.....but the a change to the committee must be done before he returns.
In a telephone conversation the commander directs you to do the appointment letter.

That letter is FROM the COMMANDER........in my case Nellis Composite Squadron/CC

FOR THE COMMANDER

ROBERT LOPES, CAPT, CAP
Commander

The other alternative is when someone brings you a memo already filled out with the commanders signature block.

If you follow Nuke's thinking there would never be a need to do a "FOR THE COMMANDER".

The only time you do a "for the commander" letter is when someone else is writing and signing a letter/memo that is usually or by regulation is written and signed by the commander.

I am not sure how the USAF or CAP does it, but I have to say that your way doesn't make much sense. If you are using the commander's signature block, why would you need the authority line (FOR THE COMMANDER)? Just signing your own name over his/her signature block should be sufficient to indicate that it isn't the commander's signature.

In my (Army) experience, we use the authority line (FOR THE COMMANDER, in this instance) when a staff or other member has been specifically delegated authority to issue directives in the boss's name. The authority line is above the signer's signature block--typically the adjutant or the operations officer.

JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Critical AOA

The should be a UNIFORM way of doing it.

There, like all CAP Talk threads this is now a uniform thread.   >:D
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on July 28, 2013, 12:19:36 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on July 26, 2013, 11:41:56 PM
Sorry....Nuke is wrong.

For example.

FOR THE COMMANDER

ROBERT LOPES, CAPT, CAP
Commander

I am not sure how the USAF or CAP does it, but I have to say that your way doesn't make much sense. If you are using the commander's signature block, why would you need the authority line (FOR THE COMMANDER)? Just signing your own name over his/her signature block should be sufficient to indicate that it isn't the commander's signature.

In my (Army) experience, we use the authority line (FOR THE COMMANDER, in this instance) when a staff or other member has been specifically delegated authority to issue directives in the boss's name. The authority line is above the signer's signature block--typically the adjutant or the operations officer.
a)  Some peoples signatures are unreadable by the non-doctor/non-lawyer
b)  If down the road there is some dispute that someone was trying to forge a signature it makes is clear that the writer/signer was doing so under the authority of the commander.
c) If the authority has already been delegated by regulation/sop/supplement/OI then you would not be doing it over the commander's signature block as you already have said authority and would us your one office symbol and signature block.

Remember.....the FOR THE COMMANDER line is only used for a memo that is required by SOP or Regulations to be from the Commander and is only used with express permission from the commander during times where he/she cannot sign the memo.