Main Menu

Best Orienteering Compass

Started by Storm Chaser, July 03, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

Storm Chaser

Thanks for the advice. I was initially interested in a Brunton compass as it is made in the U.S.A. I was also looking into Suunto. Once I decided on a mirror sighting compass, it was between the Brunton O.S.S. 70M and the Suunto MC-2 Global. I really thought the O.S.S. 70M was an interesting compass, but I didn't get enough feedback on it. I decided to go with the MC-2 Global instead, which I ordered last night. I'm aware of the scale issue (it was one of my concerns), but the reviews were quite positive on this compass and I got it a much better price ($55 vs. $85). I guess I'll find out how good it really is once I get it.

Storm Chaser

When it comes to Suunto compasses, is there a preference between cm or in for GT work?

Storm Chaser

Since no one has responded to my last question, let me rephrase. Which of these two Suunto A-30 L compasses would be better for ground team work?

or

These compasses are identical except for the scales and rulers (cm vs. inches).

sardak

The top compass in your picture has scales of cm, 1:15k and 1:25k. In decades of working with maps and compasses in the US, I don't recall using a map at a scale of 1:15k. US military maps are at a scale of 1:25k, and distances and elevations are metric. The last time I used a map at 1:25k was ????

The lower compass has scales in both cm and inches for those who can't decide whether to go metric or remain Imperial. The map scale at the end is 1:24k. Old and new (US Topo) USGS topo maps are at 1:24k and FS Topos (topos produced by the US Forest Service) are also at 1:24k. I use maps at 1:24k several days a week.

Neither compass has a 1000 m grid for working with UTM and USNG, which are commonly used by ground teams, though not having the grid on the compass is not the end of the world. There are free overlays that can be used alone (or taped to the compass for convenience).

Mike

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Quote from: sardak on July 08, 2013, 07:15:03 PM
The top compass in your picture has scales of cm, 1:15k and 1:25k. In decades of working with maps and compasses in the US, I don't recall using a map at a scale of 1:15k. US military maps are at a scale of 1:25k, and distances and elevations are metric. The last time I used a map at 1:25k was ????

The lower compass has scales in both cm and inches for those who can't decide whether to go metric or remain Imperial. The map scale at the end is 1:24k. Old and new (US Topo) USGS topo maps are at 1:24k and FS Topos (topos produced by the US Forest Service) are also at 1:24k. I use maps at 1:24k several days a week.

Neither compass has a 1000 m grid for working with UTM and USNG, which are commonly used by ground teams, though not having the grid on the compass is not the end of the world. There are free overlays that can be used alone (or taped to the compass for convenience).

Mike

NM SAR

I like the Suunto MC-2 series. It's a nice mix of clear baseplate for map work and a sighting system (using the mirror) that, I think, is superior to a military-type lensatic. Finally, you can use the mirror for signalling in a pinch.

http://www.backcountry.com/suunto-mc-2-pro-compass?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6Y29tcGFzczoxOjEy

Storm Chaser

I bought a Suunto MC-2 Global and it's worked pretty good so far. The only issue I have is with the scale, which is 1:25K instead of the more common 1:24K.