Main Menu

Best Orienteering Compass

Started by Storm Chaser, July 03, 2013, 09:23:53 PM

Storm Chaser

I'm looking for a good orienteering compass to take to NESA this summer. While NESA recommends the Silva Trekker 420, the Brunton 15TDCL and the Suunto A-Series, some of these have been discontinued.

I've been looking into the Brunton O.S.S. 70M and the Brunton O.S.S. 40B. Has anyone used these compasses? The few reviews I've found seem mixed. Any other recommendations?

I know many of you have great compasses that you bought years ago, but I'm looking for something more recent that I can buy now on the price range of $25-$80.

Eclipse

I don't think you can go wrong with the Silva Trekker or Ranger - I've got a Ranger and recently took 5 minutes to actually figure out the best way to use it.
You can spend more, but it's well suited for CAP use.

I also have a Coghlan's Combination Compass, have a couple actually.  No real issues other then figuring out
how to properly use the magnetic adjustable dial (don't really need it in my area.

"That Others May Zoom"

CavScout

I've always used the same military issue lensatic compass and it has covered my needs (as well as the military's) in the classroom for plotting and always excelled in the field.

Looks like the price of the tritium ones are down quite a bit too, though not required for CAP. $62 and free shipping, Amazon.com.

NIN

Quote from: CavScout on July 03, 2013, 10:03:01 PM
Looks like the price of the tritium ones are down quite a bit too, though not required for CAP. $62 and free shipping, Amazon.com.

I lost the Tritium one out of my survival vest in 1987. It cost me $17.50 on a statement of charges.

Oh, look. I just found it 25 years later. Imagine that.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

First depends on what you really intend to do with the compass.

For moving from point a to b and using a map...where accuracy of bearings is not all that big of a deal.....any of the silva styles are just great.

If taking bearings (such as ELT bearings) very accurately is important....then a military style lensatic compasi is what you are looking for.

I grew up on the lensatic and later learned the military and I can switch off to either.

I find the Silva type is easier to do map work.....and the lensatic is better in the field....but mostly it comes down to personal taste.

On which specific one to buy.......If you are paying less then $20 or more then $70 you are doing it wrong.

You want good quality....so it does not fail you in the field....but all the fancy tritium and 200 zoom lenses and other doodads some compasses sport are just bling.

I got a lot of good milage out of WWW.thecompassstore.com

I bought one of their compass teaching packs for when I teach compass work for GTMs.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

You can buy a Silva Guide at Gander Mountain or Dunham's Sports for about half the cost of the Ranger. $25 vs $50. Buy two and that way you can check them against each other as well. They work good for any orienteering work you might need for CAP.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Eclipse

I'd pretty much agree with the above, and for newer folks scoring at home, this is why you want to start small and
try things our before spending your college fund on gear.

Odds are on any given training day there will be a good range of styles - try them out, see if you can replicate your
position results on several different styles, etc.  There are even compass apps for your phone that can come pretty close in accuracy.

A good way to test things out is have someone who is experienced map out some azimuths, then have the whole team recreate
the same position on multiple devices.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: ol'fido on July 03, 2013, 11:38:39 PM
You can buy a Silva Guide at Gander Mountain or Dunham's Sports for about half the cost of the Ranger. $25 vs $50. Buy two and that way you can check them against each other as well. They work good for any orienteering work you might need for CAP.

The Silvas, along with any other mirror-style compass can also act as a signal mirror, either in a pinch or as one less thing to carry.

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

Three previous threads on the toic, with some good discussion:
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15263
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=9906
http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=226

Quoteor moving from point a to b and using a map...where accuracy of bearings is not all that big of a deal.....any of the silva styles are just great.
If taking bearings (such as ELT bearings) very accurately is important....then a military style lensatic compasi is what you are looking for.
To not beat a dead horse, for specific discussion we already had on the difference between accuracy and precision: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=15263.msg275145#msg275145

Mike

Eclipse

I knew there was one in there somewhere with Stonewall extolling the virtues of the Silva Ranger...

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

I appreciate the advice on lensatic compasses, but I'm looking for an orienteering compass. I already have a military-style lensatic compass.

I did read some of the other threads before posting this one, but many of the recommendations were of compasses that have been discontinued. I'm looking for a more current model.

From what I've heard/read, Silva, Brunton and Suunto are the most recommended brands for orienteering compasses. Some of you have recommended Silva, so I'll look more into that.

What about the Brunton? Does anyone here owns one? And what about the models from my original post? I would really like to hear if anyone have used them, especially the O.S.S. 70M.

Thanks again for the replies.

Eclipse

I've got a Vietnam-era Tritium one, which no longer glows and has this scary marking on the back:

I've also got one of these bad boys:

http://tedbrink1.webs.com/usa11.htm

Which is by far the most well made, accurate, park-a-tank-on-it compass you will ever hold in your hand,
with the only "issue" being that the dial is in 6400 Mils instead of 360 degrees, so it can be somewhat "cumbersome"
to use in the field.  From what I've read, some of them did, in fact have "normal" markings, but alas mine does not.

"That Others May Zoom"

Storm Chaser

Brunton O.S.S. 70M

• BRUNTON O.S.S. alignment system
  • Tool free declination adjustment
  • On the map Meridian lines
  • Magnified read-out for 1° accuracy
  • Protective cover with sighting mirror
  • Field reference cards for mapping and emergency use
  • 3 clinometer systems
  • Map magnifier
  • Lanyard
  • Dimensions: 4.1''x2.5''x1''
  • Weight: 3.6 oz
  • 1° resolution
  • Scales: Feet, mile and meter scales
  • Map Scale: 1:24k, UTM
  • Made in the USA

Brunton O.S.S. 40B

• BRUNTON O.S.S. alignment system
  • Tool free declination adjustment
  • On the map Meridian lines
  • Magnified read-out for 1° accuracy
  • Reversible slide scale
  • 100m confident circles
  • Wrist lanyard
  • Latitude/Longitude/UTM map tool
  • 1° resolution
  • Inch and mm scales
  • Map scales: 1:24k, 1:25k, 1:50k, UTM
  • Roamer scales: 1:24k, 1:25k, 1:50k
  • Overall dimensions: 5.2''x2.8''x0.5''
  • Weight: 1.7 oz
  • Made in the USA

ol'fido

For 99.9% of what you are doing in CAP, a simpler compass would work just fine. The more gadgets they have on them, the more likely something will break. Remember that for most people, the compass will live in your gear most of the time being thrown into and drug out of the backs of vehicles and equipment boxes/closets. It also depends on where you live if you need the declination adjusters. In IL, there are very few places if any where your declination will be anything more than the normal margin of error. In fact, down where I am we are practically on the 0 line. When I was in Hawaii, we had a declination of 11*. They taught us a simple mnemonic to convert from grid to magnetic and vice versa.

CavScout

Good point. Declination is negligible where I live as well, so not something I ever consider with compass choice.

The tritium will stop glowing after like 5-10 years, something like that, so you could get a glow in the dark mil-spec one from the same maker. Those are around half the price of the tritium models.

I can't imagine (right now) why I would need to use a compass for extensive map work. I've always used protractors indoors. Map work outdoors, the mil compass still has a straight edge and folds flat.

ol'fido

I carried the issue compass because it was issued to me. Most of the officers and NCOs that did the serious compass work were using the Silva that you can buy for $10-12. After a while, we did more navigation by terrain association than azimuth and pace count. You could do that on most of the training ranges in Hawaii because of the diversity of terrain. In large areas of forest or a cane break, you will need to know how to shoot an azimuth and follow it to hit a specific point. If at all possible, it's always best to try and hit a linear target and aim to one side of where you are going. It doesn't do any good to hit the road  the RV is on if you don't know which direction to go down the road. So aim to the north side of your target and turn south when you get to the linear feature.

lordmonar

Quote from: ol'fido on July 04, 2013, 02:34:31 PM
For 99.9% of what you are doing in CAP, a simpler compass would work just fine. The more gadgets they have on them, the more likely something will break. Remember that for most people, the compass will live in your gear most of the time being thrown into and drug out of the backs of vehicles and equipment boxes/closets. It also depends on where you live if you need the declination adjusters. In IL, there are very few places if any where your declination will be anything more than the normal margin of error. In fact, down where I am we are practically on the 0 line. When I was in Hawaii, we had a declination of 11*. They taught us a simple mnemonic to convert from grid to magnetic and vice versa.
Plus......they are small and often loaned or lost......who want's to loose a $100 compass?  Go cheap and it is just an acceptable loss.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Storm Chaser

No one has commented on the Brunton compasses I posted, so I would like to know if anyone has used these Suunto compasses or has any opinions about them:

Suunto MC-2 Global

• Global Balancing System
  • Clinometer
  • Large mirror
  • Jewel bearing
  • cm or inch scales
  • Adjustable declination correction scale
  • Additional sighting hole for superior accuracy
  • Baseplate with magnifying lens and anti-slip rubber pads
  • Luminous two-color bezel ring
  • Detachable snap-lock in lanyard. Easy to detach for working with the map
  • Wristlock in the lanyard
  • Weight: 2.65 oz

Suunto M-3 Global IN

• Global Balancing System
  • Serrated bezel ring
  • Jewel bearing
  • Inch scale
  • Adjustable declination correction scale
  • Base plate with anti-slip rubber pads and rounded edges
  • Baseplate with magnifying lens
  • Easy-to-read luminous markings help to use the compass in dark conditions
  • Control marking holes
  • Clinometer
  • Weight: 1.6 oz

ol'fido

Either of these will work fine. Ultimately, you are the one that has to use it so get what you are comfortable with. If you are OK with paying $50 for one go for it. I would check on the "global" spec on any compass you buy. Some are calibrated for use in the U.S. and some are calibrated for use overseas. No sense paying extra for a compass you can use in Outer Mongolia if you don't need it.

Jaison009

Quote from: Storm Chaser on July 03, 2013, 09:23:53 PM
I'm looking for a good orienteering compass to take to NESA this summer. While NESA recommends the Silva Trekker 420, the Brunton 15TDCL and the Suunto A-Series, some of these have been discontinued.

I've been looking into the Brunton O.S.S. 70M and the Brunton O.S.S. 40B. Has anyone used these compasses? The few reviews I've found seem mixed. Any other recommendations?

I know many of you have great compasses that you bought years ago, but I'm looking for something more recent that I can buy now on the price range of $25-$80.

Make sure you get a compass that has a 1:24 scale as many only have a 1:25 or 1:50. If you are using military maps the 1:25 is fine; however most civilian maps from USGS are in 1:24. I have a Suunto MC2 that is 1:25 that I got stuck with after not following the listed advice. If you notice the one you posted a picture of (MC2 global) is 1:25. I also have a Brunton OSS 70M and Silva Ranger that are awesome and has a mirror that cuts out the need for a separate mirror and signaling device. Both have declination keys making it easy and simple to change declination. Both are durable but the Ranger is my go to because of ease of 1:24 and sighting. I highly recommend Bjorn Kjellstrom's Be expert with map and compass found at http://www.amazon.com/Expert-Map-Compass-Bjorn-Kjellstrom/dp/0470407654 or any of the other locations you choose. I also recommend you getting the Boy Scout orienteering handbook. Both are fantastic resources.

Storm Chaser

Thanks for the advice. I was initially interested in a Brunton compass as it is made in the U.S.A. I was also looking into Suunto. Once I decided on a mirror sighting compass, it was between the Brunton O.S.S. 70M and the Suunto MC-2 Global. I really thought the O.S.S. 70M was an interesting compass, but I didn't get enough feedback on it. I decided to go with the MC-2 Global instead, which I ordered last night. I'm aware of the scale issue (it was one of my concerns), but the reviews were quite positive on this compass and I got it a much better price ($55 vs. $85). I guess I'll find out how good it really is once I get it.

Storm Chaser

When it comes to Suunto compasses, is there a preference between cm or in for GT work?

Storm Chaser

Since no one has responded to my last question, let me rephrase. Which of these two Suunto A-30 L compasses would be better for ground team work?

or

These compasses are identical except for the scales and rulers (cm vs. inches).

sardak

The top compass in your picture has scales of cm, 1:15k and 1:25k. In decades of working with maps and compasses in the US, I don't recall using a map at a scale of 1:15k. US military maps are at a scale of 1:25k, and distances and elevations are metric. The last time I used a map at 1:25k was ????

The lower compass has scales in both cm and inches for those who can't decide whether to go metric or remain Imperial. The map scale at the end is 1:24k. Old and new (US Topo) USGS topo maps are at 1:24k and FS Topos (topos produced by the US Forest Service) are also at 1:24k. I use maps at 1:24k several days a week.

Neither compass has a 1000 m grid for working with UTM and USNG, which are commonly used by ground teams, though not having the grid on the compass is not the end of the world. There are free overlays that can be used alone (or taped to the compass for convenience).

Mike

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Jaison009

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Quote from: sardak on July 08, 2013, 07:15:03 PM
The top compass in your picture has scales of cm, 1:15k and 1:25k. In decades of working with maps and compasses in the US, I don't recall using a map at a scale of 1:15k. US military maps are at a scale of 1:25k, and distances and elevations are metric. The last time I used a map at 1:25k was ????

The lower compass has scales in both cm and inches for those who can't decide whether to go metric or remain Imperial. The map scale at the end is 1:24k. Old and new (US Topo) USGS topo maps are at 1:24k and FS Topos (topos produced by the US Forest Service) are also at 1:24k. I use maps at 1:24k several days a week.

Neither compass has a 1000 m grid for working with UTM and USNG, which are commonly used by ground teams, though not having the grid on the compass is not the end of the world. There are free overlays that can be used alone (or taped to the compass for convenience).

Mike

NM SAR

I like the Suunto MC-2 series. It's a nice mix of clear baseplate for map work and a sighting system (using the mirror) that, I think, is superior to a military-type lensatic. Finally, you can use the mirror for signalling in a pinch.

http://www.backcountry.com/suunto-mc-2-pro-compass?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6Y29tcGFzczoxOjEy

Storm Chaser

I bought a Suunto MC-2 Global and it's worked pretty good so far. The only issue I have is with the scale, which is 1:25K instead of the more common 1:24K.