Extra stuff to bring and tips for a Flight Sergeant on VAWG Encampment staff

Started by PilotDiver17, June 19, 2013, 09:06:14 PM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Cap'n

To be honest, I'm not sure. If I'm not careful and get water in my eyes, they'll come out on occasion. It's not a big concern because I have the disposable 2 week contacts, but it can be a pain.

The contact brand is called Acuvue Oasys, if that means anything.

TexasCadet

Quote from: Danger on July 21, 2013, 08:29:58 PM
Cough drops, lemon juice, and a clipboard or binder. Lemon juice helps keep from losing your voice. And definitely a camelback- you have to be with your troops instead of constantly running to refill your canteen.

Bring cough drops and a CamelBak. Canteens are a pain, and if you don't bring cough drops, you'll be sorry!!!

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 22, 2013, 05:39:46 PM
Cough drops, lemon juice, and a clipboard or binder. Lemon juice helps keep from losing your voice. And definitely a camelback- you have to be with your troops instead of constantly running to refill your canteen.

Bring cough drops and a CamelBak. Canteens are a pain, and if you don't bring cough drops, you'll be sorry!!!

Some encampments do not allow camelbaks. Others treat cough drops as either meds or candy.

Eclipse

Quote from: Peeka on July 22, 2013, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2013, 05:47:08 PM
Some encampments do not allow camelbaks...

What's the reasoning behind that?

Many cadets, and especially staff, use them as pacifiers and toys the whole time - distracting and unprofessional.

There's also the issue of the need - no CAP encampment is in an austere environment, and few are far from drinking fountains, bathrooms,
etc.  The vast majority of cadets and staff at an encampment would get along fine with a water bottle in their BDU pocket.

Hydration packs at encampment are unnecessary affectations.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

If you need cough drops and lemon juice to keep from losing your voice, you are not using your voice correctly.
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

TexasCadet

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2013, 06:26:37 PM
Quote from: Peeka on July 22, 2013, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2013, 05:47:08 PM
Some encampments do not allow camelbaks...

What's the reasoning behind that?

Many cadets, and especially staff, use them as pacifiers and toys the whole time - distracting and unprofessional.

There's also the issue of the need - no CAP encampment is in an austere environment, and few are far from drinking fountains, bathrooms,
etc.  The vast majority of cadets and staff at an encampment would get along fine with a water bottle in their BDU pocket.

Hydration packs at encampment are unnecessary affectations.

In 108 degree Texas heat, you need a CamelBak. And what do you mean by "pacifier"?

Eclipse

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 22, 2013, 07:45:35 PMIn 108 degree Texas heat, you need a CamelBak. And what do you mean by "pacifier"?

And how is the water "different" in a hydration pack vs. a canteen or bottle in your pocket?
Is it extra "watery"?

The valves are either constantly in their mouths or being played with, just like a pacifier.

BTW - if you are outside for extended periods in 108° heat, someone needs to review ORM.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Peeka

Quote from: TexasCadet on July 22, 2013, 07:45:35 PM
In 108 degree Texas heat, you need a CamelBak. And what do you mean by "pacifier"?

Never heard of a pacifier?

dwb

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2013, 06:26:37 PMno CAP encampment is in an austere environment

Perhaps, but some are more austere than others. Don't apply the experience of your encampments to all of CAP's encampment facilities.

I've used a CamelBak at every encampment I attended since 1998. I still have my original CamelBak (although I've replaced the bladder once or twice). It's more comfortable than a web belt (or a huge thing sloshing around in my cargo pocket), it holds more water so I need to fill up less often, etc.

My only concern with CamelBak is that people need to learn how to use them. With the straw right near your mouth, the temptation is there to over-drink and have to make trips to the head on 10-minute intervals. It just takes a little time to learn to moderate your consumption.

Eclipse

Quote from: dwb on July 22, 2013, 09:56:37 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2013, 06:26:37 PMno CAP encampment is in an austere environment

Perhaps, but some are more austere than others. Don't apply the experience of your encampments to all of CAP's encampment facilities.

I'm not, but I stand by my statement.  The CAP encampment experience is not a wilderness survival activity or even involves camping.
We don't run them in austere environments, or at least we're not supposed to. 

Should cadets have access to water?  Of course.

Are hydration packs necessary for that?  No.
Do they work?  Sure, but in most cases they are an affectation and a pacifier.  BTDT far too much.

Do cadets in flight, or even most staff need ready access to both hands with water at a seconds reach? No.
In most cases cadets in flight, students if you will, are never supposed to be carrying anything, and many encampments
prohibit all but the highest levels of staff to be dragging stuff around, either, including the ubiquitous and ever-popular
"clipboard of destiny" which is generally used for knee-knocking and hiding behind.

As to comfort vs. a web belt, you're assuming they aren't wearing the web belt too, which some
try to do, or in the worst case, want to drag around a full 24-hour rig because "my hydro is built into it and I have no choice".

Military canteens are inexpensive and provide a uniform appearance and function for all.  They are still issued in BMT
and I can't imagine a scenario at a  properly run encampment where a liter of water isn't enough for the average
cadet to have at the ready, considering fill-up facilities (as well as off-load facilities),  should be readily available.

There's also the issue of trying to fill up some hydro-packs which require pulling the bladder out of the pack and result
in a cadet with a soaked pack and shirt back.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"