Extra stuff to bring and tips for a Flight Sergeant on VAWG Encampment staff

Started by PilotDiver17, June 19, 2013, 09:06:14 PM

PilotDiver17

Hey guys, just wondering if you have any tips or gear suggestions for me. I'm a flight sergeant at VAWG ENC.

a2capt

Whatever is on the packing list.
Seriously.

You're going to be doing pretty much the same thing as the flight. You don't have time for it.

PilotDiver17

Ok thanks, but what about stuff like duck tape, sharpies, gatorade powder, iron, and halls. Should I bring or ditch them?

a2capt

That's executive staff's problem.  :)
An iron.. perhaps.. otherwise.. let others worry about it.

dwb

Quote from: PilotDiver17 on June 19, 2013, 09:06:14 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if you have any tips or gear suggestions for me. I'm a flight sergeant at VAWG ENC.

Congratulations! Flight sergeant was one of my favorite staff positions at encampment. You get to know the members of your flight well, and it's a great hands-on way to exercise all of your small team leadership skills.

Plus, you get to keep tabs on your cadets over the years to see where they end up. For instance, one of the cadets from my flight is now the VAWG encampment commander.  8)

dwb

Danger

Cough drops, lemon juice, and a clipboard or binder. Lemon juice helps keep from losing your voice. And definitely a camelback- you have to be with your troops instead of constantly running to refill your canteen.
"Never take anything too seriously."

lordmonar

Quote from: PilotDiver17 on June 19, 2013, 09:06:14 PM
Same thing as the students......everything on your packing list and nothing else.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.  >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: Danger on July 21, 2013, 08:29:58 PM
Cough drops, lemon juice, and a clipboard or binder. Lemon juice helps keep from losing your voice. And definitely a camelback- you have to be with your troops instead of constantly running to refill your canteen.

Lemon juice would likely be confiscated coming in, some encampments do not allow pacifiers hydration packs.
The cough drops are a toss-up depending on the activity.

Bring only what is on the packing list.  If staff have been authorized anything special, bring only that and nothing else.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

I've yet to meet a flight staff member who needed anything outside of what their charges needed.

Danger

BRING A WATCH . YOU WILL DEFINITELY NEED A WATCH AS A FLIGHT SERGEANT.

Here in MNWG, watches are contraband for cadets. I don't know if this is the same for other wings, but you will definitely need one, as it is a job of the flight sergeant to get where you need to go on time.
"Never take anything too seriously."

Cap'n

A watch. (If you have two, bring both of them!)
Clipboard/binder.
Throat lozenges. (If you use your voice right, you shouldn't need these.)
LE/AERO textbooks, 1-2 volumes, and modules 1-6 only. (It doesn't hurt, and if you need some material for down time you can always look there.)

Also, regardless if you're staff or a basic: if you wear contacts, BRING AN EXTRA PAIR, along with your glasses. I'm the kind of person that will lose my contacts just because I forget to take them out in the shower, so if you're prone to tearing or losing them, bring extras.

Eclipse

Quote from: Pomegranate on July 22, 2013, 03:28:28 PMI'm the kind of person that will lose my contacts just because I forget to take them out in the shower, so if you're prone to tearing or losing them, bring extras.

Do your eyeballs fall out or dissolve? 

If you forget to take the out in the shower, how do you lose them?  I swim with mine with no issues, though admittedly I don't
stand under a hot shower head with my eyes wide open...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2013, 03:33:42 PM
Quote from: Pomegranate on July 22, 2013, 03:28:28 PMI'm the kind of person that will lose my contacts just because I forget to take them out in the shower, so if you're prone to tearing or losing them, bring extras.

Do your eyeballs fall out or dissolve? 

If you forget to take the out in the shower, how do you lose them?  I swim with mine with no issues, though admittedly I don't
stand under a hot shower head with my eyes wide open...

Near sighted or far sighted? If Near, I'm surprised you haven't had Lasik.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2013, 03:53:25 PM

Near sighted - I prefer not being blind, or having irreversible blurring and starred vision at night.
I envy the people who have had it with good results, the ORM is too high for my taste.  I recently got
multi-focal contacts which are excellent and am going to stick with them until Retinax V gets through clinicals.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2013, 04:03:21 PM

Near sighted - I prefer not being blind, or having irreversible blurring and starred vision at night.
I envy the people who have had it with good results, the ORM is too high for my taste.  I recently got
multi-focal contacts which are excellent and am going to stick with them until Retinax V gets through clinicals.

Both my parents had it done in the last year or so. I'm quite jealous, but with life having other priorities, I just don't have the $3500 right now.

Eclipse

Quote from: usafaux2004 on July 22, 2013, 04:09:03 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on July 22, 2013, 04:03:21 PM

Both my parents had it done in the last year or so. I'm quite jealous, but with life having other priorities, I just don't have the $3500 right now.

The cost is also nothing to sneeze at.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич