Noticed something funny on Vanguard Web site

Started by w7sar, March 15, 2007, 05:23:21 AM

w7sar

I was looking at Vanguard to place an order . . . on the awards page with all the ribbons.  Under most of the ribbons, I read:  "Refer to CAP Manuel 39-1 for the proper wear and placement."

Now, what I need to know, where can I find Manuel so I can refer my question?

Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
NHQ CAP Assistant Senior Program Manager
Command & Control Communications
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

Major Carrales

Quote from: w7sar on March 15, 2007, 05:23:21 AM
I was looking at Vanguard to place an order . . . on the awards page with all the ribbons.  Under most of the ribbons, I read:  "Refer to CAP Manuel 39-1 for the proper wear and placement."

Now, what I need to know, where can I find Manuel so I can refer my question?

Manuel?

Curious...

Enter, "Civil Air Patrol cadets" into Google, exactally like that and look at the first link.  Then report...
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

w7sar

That Google search is also funny,  but no Manuel on that page either. :D
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

DNall

he's the guy that wrote the manual. Type-o, get over it. :D

w7sar

::)
I would believe typo, but it's repeated a significant number of times, and that's what makes it funny.    And sad.  Few companies would send out a printed catalog without proofreading, but the Web?  Spelling and grammar don't seem to matter. 
Jerry Wellman, Col., CAP
jwellman@cap.gov
(C) 801.541.3741
U.S. Air Force Auxiliary

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on March 15, 2007, 05:26:29 AMEnter, "Civil Air Patrol cadets" into Google, exactally like that and look at the first link.  Then report...

OK, did that, both with and without the quote marks. What did I miss?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on March 15, 2007, 07:29:14 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on March 15, 2007, 05:26:29 AMEnter, "Civil Air Patrol cadets" into Google, exactally like that and look at the first link.  Then report...

OK, did that, both with and without the quote marks. What did I miss?

You missed the CAP NHQ Cadet programs page.  It was pretty amazing.  You really missed out...

DNall

which is more embarassing?

(courtesy capblog)

it's unprofessional in published stuff for the public, but come on, you knew what they meant & probably didn't miss a beat.

Lancer

Quote from: DNall on March 15, 2007, 07:56:01 AM
which is more embarassing embarrassing?  >:D
it's unprofessional in published stuff for the public, but come on, you knew what they meant & probably didn't miss a beat.

It really would have been embarrassing if they spelled 'Education' wrong.  :-[

But your right, at first glance, you see the word and know what the intended meaning is, even if you don't immediately notice that it's spelled wrong. That's like the much forwarded e-mail describing how you can scramble the letters within a word throughout a paragraph and as long as the first and last letters of each word is correct, you can perceive what is being written.

Major Carrales

Quote from: shorning on March 15, 2007, 08:02:42 AM
I got this:  http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Civil+Air+Patrol+cadets%22&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_en___US209

Well, it looks like someone at national is on their toes...capital for them.

Yesterday it took you to this page...

"Civila Air Patrol," almost in an Italian Accent "doubletalk."  To the continue the Parole quasi italiani, check out your Mission Scanner SQTR work sheet, or should I say Missino...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Psicorp

<post retracted due to a lack of something sufficiently wity to replace it with>
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Psicorp on March 15, 2007, 03:55:44 PM
*snicker*

It's the media's fault, truly it is...just because we're under the command of a General in the Guatamalan Air Force....

Maybe Manuel is a friend of Antonio?
Another former CAP officer

LtCol White

I wonder is Manuel is the national commander of the Civila Air Patrol. I bet they have lots of cabilities and resources!!

>:D
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

These are, most likely, typos of haste.  Not unlike those were post here from time to time. :o

Let's get them corrected.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

I agree. But we can still have a little fun at the expense since it already happened.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

Quote from: LtCol White on March 15, 2007, 04:41:56 PM
I agree. But we can still have a little fun at the expense since it already happened.

True...

I was not trying to "scold" anyone  :D , just pointing out that at the end of this...we should work to correct these typos.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

DNall

There's another one I keep noticing in the SQTRs. Says have to demonstrate ability to coodinate with "ground brace" Guess that's for the broken leg when you tell pilots they can't fly.

Chappie

Quote from: LtCol White on March 15, 2007, 04:32:25 PM
I wonder is Manuel is the national commander of the Civila Air Patrol. I bet they have lots of cabilities and resources!!

Lt. Col. White....you owe me a keyboard.   :D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Ford73Diesel

The new leadership textbooks are riddled with typos. In the intro it said they reformatted it to get rid of grammar and spelling mistakes, but I think they made it worse.  :D

Ricochet13

Just an observation, but seems even though we may not care for the current CG of Cap, continued comments to his ethnic and cultural background do not seem to fit the "Core Values" expressed by the organization we proudly advocate.   Although no "fan" of the CG, such comments overstep the bounds of what I hoped we all stood for.

lordmonar

Quote from: Ricochet13 on March 15, 2007, 08:28:49 PM
Just an observation, but seems even though we may not care for the current CG of Cap, continued comments to his ethnic and cultural background do not seem to fit the "Core Values" expressed by the organization we proudly advocate.   Although no "fan" of the CG, such comments overstep the bounds of what I hoped we all stood for.

General Pineda's name is Antonio.....and they were not referring to him.

They were making a joke about Vanguard selling Manuels and Civlia (as misspelled on CAP websites) sounding kind of Latin.

Yes ethnic jokes are not called for and no one should be making disparaging remarks about the National Commander.....but this was neither.

In the words of Sgt Hulka..."Lighten up Francis". ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LtCol White

Quote from: lordmonar on March 15, 2007, 10:56:33 PM
Quote from: Ricochet13 on March 15, 2007, 08:28:49 PM

General Pineda's name is Antonio.....and they were not referring to him.

They were making a joke about Vanguard selling Manuels and Civlia (as misspelled on CAP websites) sounding kind of Latin.

Yes ethnic jokes are not called for and no one should be making disparaging remarks about the National Commander.....but this was neither.

In the words of Sgt Hulka..."Lighten up Francis". ;D

I agree. Nothing offensive or inappropriate was said here about anyone. I suggest you reread the posts carefully....with your eyes open this time.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

LtCol White

Quote from: Chappie on March 15, 2007, 06:01:27 PM
Quote from: LtCol White on March 15, 2007, 04:32:25 PM

Lt. Col. White....you owe me a keyboard.   :D

What? Another one??? I'm running out of keyboards!

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

A.Member

On a more serious note, it is embarrassing.  If these were isolated incidences that'd be one thing but they're not.  It appears to be kind of an epidemic.  Certainly all of these errors are not the result of one person.  One really has to question the QA process at NHQ - evidently there isn't one. 

So, what application(s) do you suppose NHQ is using to create these documents and such?  Did they ban spell check utilities from all their apps?   It obviously is not being used - why not?  At a very minimum spell check should always be run, even if a document isn't going to be published externally (all of these typos would've been easily identified by any common spell check utility).  In the case of externally published information, is that not also run through any type of review process where at least a second set of eyes views it? 

I guess you get what you pay for but, really, this is something NHQ should immediately address...and don't even get me stated with all the errors with the AFIADL 00013.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

LtCol White

You're right. Aside from the poking fun, it really needs to be addressed and now. It seems to be a widespread problem and not isolated to on error given the varied examples we have seen.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG